• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Jered Weaver reappreciation thread....

One of those starts, and the one that seems to have turned his season around, came against the hottest team in baseball. The other two were on the road in hitters parks against very good offensive teams.

He's doin' work.

Weaver looks night and day from how he was throwing at the beginning of the season.

I noticed he looked uncomfortable and was forcing his windup and his throwing. Now he looks so much more confident, like he has a reason for every pitch he throws. He has a looser approach to the plate, a "rock and roll" set and release that is having pin-point command. Little bit of bite in those high 80's. Great to see him pitch well, love his intensity, believe in Weav he's a competitor!

I know he and everyone else gets pissed off when you mention velocity, but it really is no coincidence that when he's throwing 85-89 he wins games. It's when he's throwing 81-84 that he gets crushed.

So yeah, I appreciate Weaver, as long as he doesn't lose any more velocity.

The situation is clear: Weaver has some gas left, but continues to decline. That said, saying "he's 3-0 in his last three starts" as if all of a sudden he's Clayton Kershaw is a bit facile. But yeah, it is a remarkable turnaround.

Velocity is key, and Weaver must know this. Check out his velocity chart from Fangraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=4235&position=P&pitch=FA

4235_P_FA_20150520.png

As you can see, yesterday's start was his best this year and more in line with last year. But the overall downward trend is clear, so unless Jered discovers some remarkable medical technology that tightens up his arm ligaments and tendons, decline will continue.

The situation is clear: Weaver has some gas left, but continues to decline. That said, saying "he's 3-0 in his last three starts" as if all of a sudden he's Clayton Kershaw is a bit facile. But yeah, it is a remarkable turnaround.

Velocity is key, and Weaver must know this. Check out his velocity chart from Fangraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=4235&position=P&pitch=FA

4235_P_FA_20150520.png

As you can see, yesterday's start was his best this year and more in line with last year. But the overall downward trend is clear, so unless Jered discovers some remarkable medical technology that tightens up his arm ligaments and tendons, decline will continue.

He should get in touch with Colon's doc.

I know he and everyone else gets pissed off when you mention velocity, but it really is no coincidence that when he's throwing 85-89 he wins games. It's when he's throwing 81-84 that he gets crushed.

So yeah, I appreciate Weaver, as long as he doesn't lose any more velocity.

I'm not going to say velocity doesn't make a difference but it's not nearly as much as people think.

Last night he was 85-86 basically. In Baltimore he was 85-86. In San Francisco when he got crushed he was 83-84.

That couple ticks isn't the difference between allowing 6 runs and allowing 1 run.

Everyone seems to accept that velocity is not the most important thing, or else Cam Bedrosian would be the Angels best reliever.

Yet with Weaver it's all anyone talks about.

Edit: looked more closely at the chart, and the average was actually higher in Toronto. But the average in Baltimore was about the same as it was in San Francisco.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

I'm not going to say velocity doesn't make a difference but it's not nearly as much as people think.

Last night he was 85-86 basically. In Baltimore he was 85-86. In San Francisco when he got crushed he was 83-84.

That couple ticks isn't the difference between allowing 6 runs and allowing 1 run.

Everyone seems to accept that velocity is not the most important thing, or else Cam Bedrosian would be the Angels best reliever.

Yet with Weaver it's all anyone talks about.

Edit: looked more closely at the chart, and the average was actually higher in Toronto. But the average in Baltimore was about the same as it was in San Francisco.

When Weaver is right and is pitching well it breeds confidence to the entire staff. He really is the guy that sets the tone. He's a leader.

Jeff, I agree that velocity isn't "everything" but it clearly is a significant factor - and there's no denying that Jered's level has directly mirrored his velocity. Look at his average fastball velocity over the years and guess which years are better overall.

But I think what we've seen this year is that there is a breaking point, where Weaver simply can't fool them. Looking at that chart it seems that it is when his average fastball dips below 85. This isn't a rule, more of an indicator - as his previous start shows (he averaged below 85 but still faired pretty well).