• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What is the Angels all time rental player team?

great shot of Canseco there in periwinkle -- that's a great shot because it shows two major FAILS -- periwinkle uni's and Canseco as a Halo.

what flops.

actually, I didn't think the periwinkle uni's and winged cap was as bad as people commented at the time -- looking back I gotta agree -- they were atrocious.

Canseco is vying with Raul Mondesi as the worst short term guy for the ANGELS ever.  At least Mondesi played in some regular season games (I think we was on the Halos for about ten days). Both were major crybabies after they were released by the Halos organization -- a release stemming from not only their poor on field performance but their off field antics of complaints and just making themselves a pain for the club to deal with.

Mondesi just left. He wasn't released. He just didn't show up one day and when the Angels called him up he told them he wasn't coming back.

Rentals are half season/deadline/last minute off-season pick ups for a push (maybe or maybe not looking to extend in the off-season) or stop gap guys like Matsui was for us.

Thread has potential

I would set the rules as:

Less than 1 year with the team.

OR

Off season pickup in the final year of his contract.

Mondesi just left? Didn't realize that.

I know that MLB challenged his claims he couldn't play -- he played the MLB equivalent of the worker's comp (and in California he may have gotten some worker's comp benefits) system with Pittsburgh and with the Angels.

MLB contended he was a malingerer......now I think his kid is playing -- I think he's an infielder with the KC Royals organization........saw him play during Spring Training.

Raul Mondesi, the older, was an amazing five tool player when he first came up, won that ROY -- he could really throw the ball from RF..........but after he got some accolades his attitude changed, his diet changed, he got heavy and his skills diminished -- after the promising start he ended up with relatively short MLB career.

yeah, on the 'rental' definition -- to me a rental is not a ONE year player (like Matsui). a rental guy is a near the trade deadline pick up for the stretch run and is a guy who you KNOW you won't be able to sign/ extend.......

Lester was a classic rental for the A's last season........it's MLB's equivalent of 'one and done' but instead of a year, it's a month.

I re-checked Raul Mondesi's MLB stats -- he actually played 13 season (although about four of them were hanging on and hanging around) -- but GEEZ, I forgot just how good he was with the Dodgers  -- he hit 163 HRs over 7 seasons with them and hit more than 30 HRs three times.....he wound up with 271 HRs lifetime and 225 SBs.......

he didn't make it to 250 SBs but not that many guys in MLB history with 250 HRs and 250 SBs.

unfortunately for Mondesi, his better than average MLB career and stats is over-shadowed by how he left the game and how the Pittsburgh and Anaheim organizations truly thought he was gaming the worker's comp / DL status to his benefit.......