• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Chris Iannetta

I miss Jeff Mathis.

For the record, Mathis is 0-for-2015. He has struck out three times in five at-bats over three games. He has one BB. That pitcher was probably put on waivers after the game.

At least the Marlins are smart enough not to put him in the lineup.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Iannetta has flat out 'lost it' -- he's simply not the same player he was even from last year.

I don't know if it's the offensive slump affecting his defense or what but it's tough to watch him out there.......last night's game at AT&T (SF) was terrible.

Iannetta was actually fairly OK on D when he first came over a few years back (not great, but better than what we had had immediately before) but how is one in a 'slump' with the bat & glove? (and arm?).  I think his skills have deteriorated at an alarming rate.......

Iannetta has flat out 'lost it' -- he's simply not the same player he was even from last year.

I don't know if it's the offensive slump affecting his defense or what but it's tough to watch him out there.......last night's game at AT&T (SF) was terrible.

Iannetta was actually fairly OK on D when he first came over a few years back (not great, but better than what we had had immediately before) but how is one in a 'slump' with the bat & glove? (and arm?).  I think his skills have deteriorated at an alarming rate.......

He was described as a bat with some pop.

CALZONE - yeah. I remember and that prompted debate/ discussion on the board whether it was real Pop/ Power or the Coors Field affect.

I thought he was pretty good his first year here and actually thought he was better (then) on D than advertised.

not sure what's going on with him now but he looks completely lost out there ---

can catcher's get that "Steve Blass (former Pirates pitcher who went from W/S hero to being unable to find the plate the next season) or Steve Sax (Dodger 2B would couldn't throw to 1B)" thing?  Because that's what Iannetta sort of looked like last night behind the plate.......the PBs, I think cost us a run and, therefore, the game.  And he's been lost at the plate for most of the season.

For the record, Mathis is 0-for-2015. He has struck out three times in five at-bats over three games. He has one BB. That pitcher was probably put on waivers after the game.

At least the Marlins are smart enough not to put him in the lineup.

There's a reason he's not playing. He's been on the DL since 4/13 with a fractured right ring finger.

CALZONE - yeah. I remember and that prompted debate/ discussion on the board whether it was real Pop/ Power or the Coors Field affect.

I thought he was pretty good his first year here and actually thought he was better (then) on D than advertised.

not sure what's going on with him now but he looks completely lost out there ---

can catcher's get that "Steve Blass (former Pirates pitcher who went from W/S hero to being unable to find the plate the next season) or Steve Sax (Dodger 2B would couldn't throw to 1B)" thing? Because that's what Iannetta sort of looked like last night behind the plate.......the PBs, I think cost us a run and, therefore, the game. And he's been lost at the plate for most of the season.

He's also been described as a good serviceable catcher.

He's had a 9 year MLB career and he's never won any awards or played in any All Star games.

Lifetime: 

.195 .256 .306

2015: .000 BA

Here is the odd thing about Jeff Mathis and his hitting. On a day to basis he plain sucks, it doesn't take posting lifetime numbers for anyone to remember what a disappointment he was in that regard.

But in the playoffs he turned on beast mode and hit .450 with a .700 SLG%. His regular season splits were weird as well, like a game like today with runners on 1st and 3rd with two outs and Mathis would bat .385 with a 1.102 OPS. Or with bases loaded and one out you would expect an inning killing double play but instead he hit .357 with a 1.017 OPS.

There was never any inning that he sucked less or more than the other, he was consistently bad the entire 9 but every now and then those quirky scenarios came up where the Angels really could use a hit and Mathis somehow became Tony Gwynn on a hitting streak. It was the rest of his at bats that were so disappointing.

But he could really squeeze strikes out of umpires behind the dish.

Iannetta's OPS is .297.

Historically low territory for a position player.

Let's put that .297 in perspective.

Arguably the worst MLB non-pitcher at the plate was Bill Bergen.  http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bergebi01.shtml   (Appropriately, he was also a catcher)

11 seasons, 3228 at bats in his career, and a lifetime batting average of .170, and an OBP of .194.   He's the only Major Leaguer to get more than 500 career at bats and have a sub-200 career on base percentage.   And in all that time, he managed a mere 2 home runs (admittedly, in the dead ball era).

His career OPS?  .395.  About 100 points higher than Iannetta's so far this season.

The five worst season OPS for non-pitchers who had enough at bats to qualify for the batting title (or the not-batting title in this case) were .319, .359 (both Bergen), then .367, .392, and .400.

The good news for Iannetta, if it could be put that way, is that he has little chance to actually set the futility record - because he won't get that many at bats if he doesn't figure it out.  If he's still struggling to crack a .350 OPS by the all star break, I can't imagine him not being given his unconditional release at that point.  

Fortunately for Iannetta, he plays for a manager who pays no attention to what is happening but only to either what has happened or what could happen.  Iannetta has had a few decent years and that should buy him a few months of playing time.  Iannetta could return to being decent and that should buy him some additional playing time.  If things do not change, I predict he will be replaced sometime after the All Star Break.

Fortunately for Iannetta, he plays for a manager who pays no attention to what is happening but only to either what has happened or what could happen. Iannetta has had a few decent years and that should buy him a few months of playing time. Iannetta could return to being decent and that should buy him some additional playing time. If things do not change, I predict he will be replaced sometime after the All Star Break.

Completely agree. I often wonder why Sosh doesn't start Posey or Yadier behind the plate. Instead we get stuck with only guys on the roster.