• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Daniel Murphy ?

This is one of those "makes too much sense" moves. So it isn't going to happen.

I do think upgrading 2B should be looked at this year, but Gia proved himself as a perfectly capable full-time player at the position this past year. So it's kind of a win-win situation. If they can get someone like Murph or Zobrist to upgrade the position then fantastic. If not, it isn't going to be a gigantic problem.

Gia was a defense liability.  Don't let those game winning hits fool you. He would cost us pulling our starting pitcher early, our pitcher having to throw extra pitches, making the Angels  tax our bullpen. The majority of the time those clutch hits were  in a game he did a crucial error in.  We need a reliable defensive second baseman. Plus, the reason for Daniel Murphy and  Cespedes success is the hitting coach Kevin Long.

Edited by ispy45

I wouldn't go patting Kevin Long on the back quite yet. He was the beneficiary of the Yankees spending on a hitting lineup. Onec they started retiring, he was cast off.

Murphy has been very consistent with his numbers over the years, with and with Long.

Tough to say what player we would get with Murphy.  We obviously need OBP guys to get on in front on Trout but he's basically a .330 OBP guy for his career and does not like to walk.  His numbers are better outside of Citi Field but lefthanded hitters tend to suffer in Anaheim.  So, expect something near his career numbers:

.285 .330 OBP .750 OPS 110 OPS+ 35-40 2B, 10 HR, single digit stolen bases, plays 2B, 3B and 1B with decent results

how much is that worth?

$12-$13 mil per year?

Looks like a nice player to have but I wouldn't want to try to outbid NYM for his services as they may be obliged to keep him if they get to or win the WS. 

I didn' know so many PC bros were on this board. can he play a solid 2b and hit a little bit ? Who gives a shit about his opinions on the gays.

These are the same people who didn't want Miguel Cabrerra because he drank too much and beat his wife. I'm not looking for role models. I only care about what these players do between the lines.

Go Halos!!!

The majority of the time those clutch hits were  in a game he did a crucial error in.  

He had 12 errors all season but was:

.264 .316 OBP .806 OPS  in 2 outs W/RISP in 44 games

.365 .400 OBP .819 OPS  in late and close in 63 games

.359 .394 OBP .872 OPS  in high leverage in 73 games

Not saying its necessarily sustainable or repeatable going forward but he was clutch in more games than the ones he F'd up in. 

Lou Gehrig couldn't field 1st base to save his life for his first FEW seasons.

This has nothing to do with anything but the fact that young players don't always come out of the box as finished products.

Sometimes they need some time to develop all the skills, which seems hard for some fans to grasp.

I don't think Murphy would have to be at the top of the lineup, his lack of OBP, high contact rates, decent power could translate into a nice middle/back of the lineup bat. I still want Fowler for leadoff and left field and I like the idea of Jaso DH'ing against RHP, he needs a platoon partner though. Something like this maybe.

1. Dexter Fowler LF

2. John Jaso/Chris Young DH

3. Mike Trout CF

4. Kole Calhoun RF

5. Albert Pujols 1B

6. Daniel Murphy/Neil Walker 2B

7. David Freese, Jae-Gyun Hwang, Trevor Plouffe, etc. etc. 3B

8. Carlos Perez C

9. Erick Aybar SS

I was all about adding an ace, but I say focus all resources on the lineup. Add a Ryan Hanigan type to backup Perez so that Bandy can get consistent playing time in Salt Lake, get a utility infielder and I think they're good to go.

Edited by nikkachez

Pass on Murphy.  Everyone is seeing his postseason and thinking yay another Freese.  

His defense is a negative WAR at all positions.  He's a mid .700 ops hitter.  He gets on base about a .330 clip.  

So with everything that is said on AW.com the last few weeks.  His defense is worse than a replacement player, so lets get him.  He has no power, so lets get him.  He is not an obp machine, so lets get him.  He's 30 so the wrong side of 30 crowd will want him.  

I love reading replies that state we should get guys like Jaso and Chris Young! It makes me happy in a sad kind of way.

Why? Because that's how you find diamonds in the rough? John Jaso is a terrific player when he can stay on the field, just needs someone to platoon with. Chris Young has rejuvenated his baseball career showing off his ability to hit LHP (seriously, go look at his numbers from this year and his career, kills LHP). The team's in a position where they have to bargain shop with so many holes that need to be filled. Eppler was well known for finding reclamation projects for New York, he'll have to do the same here. 

He had 12 errors all season but was:

.264 .316 OBP .806 OPS  in 2 outs W/RISP in 44 games

.365 .400 OBP .819 OPS  in late and close in 63 games

.359 .394 OBP .872 OPS  in high leverage in 73 games

Not saying its necessarily sustainable or repeatable going forward but he was clutch in more games than the ones he F'd up in. 

You are correct. I only looked at 2 w/RISP and compared games instead of AB.