• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels Trade Josh Hamilton to Texas Rangers (Official)

Maybe Texas finally figured out that the Angels have no leverage. The only other option is to release him where he will be free to sign with Texas and only cost them the league minimum for the remainder of the contract.

If Arte can get Texas to cough up 15 mil. That would be incredible.

Edited by TroutCron

Or is it better to keep that player at the risk of being embarrassed.  I'd say it's more embarrassing to keep someone on the team who does drugs, shows no -- and I mean ZERO -- offensive performance, and then ultimately defies the team's request to train in a known extended spring training league.  All while collecting tens of millions of dollars.

To me this defines Hamilton's dedication to the team - which is zero. As much as the Angels are paying Hamilton, they are entitled to have some say in the rehabilitation process. His defiance of any requests from the team tells me that he doesn't give a damn about being here, which is pretty arrogant given how bad he has been and how much he is being paid.

Nightmare scenario: Deal falls through and Hamilton comes back to the team. Scioscia bats him cleanup and he flails away all summer long at breaking pitches.

Angels finish in 4rd place.

we won't finish lower than 3th place

Don't you want ownership that actually learns from their mistakes to avoid making new ones? 

This is a team that for years has been releasing players and eating $10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and now 68 million at a time.  I think it's a foregone conclusion that Pujols' tenure will also end prematurely with even more money flushed away. 

A brand new stadium could have been built with all the money wasted.  You call that success? 

I guess I could argue the last two offseasons are an indication he's possibly learned from his mistakes.   You want to wallow in the bad -- go for it.  I stand by my comments.  He's goofed and he's paid for it.  I don't question his desire to win, I've always questioned his willingness to let his baseball people run the show.  He's made mistakes, he's also seen the team's value, revenue, and profile, skyrocket... being successful doesn't mean being perfect.  

As a whole the good has vastly outweighed the bad, if you're expecting perfection then it's likely you see it differently.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin

Union will let Hamilton leave some $ on table because he benefits by playing in state with no income tax. @Ken_Rosenthal, @BNightengale 1st.

you know, normally I am pro-union but the way the MLBPA has been standing up for Hamilton despite everything turns my stomach. If he refused to show up for AZ training the Angels should have been able to void his contract or discipline him, but no...and here's the union, making sure Hamilton gets every cent despite doing absolutely nothing to earn it. They should be insisting that Hamilton meets standards of behavior and they're not.

Edited by AngelsSurfer

Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin

Union will let Hamilton leave some $ on table because he benefits by playing in state with no income tax. @Ken_Rosenthal, @BNightengale 1st.

What am I missing here?  If the Angels pay $68M and the Rangers pay $15M, he's getting all that he's owed.  Unless the implication is that maybe the total amount paid to him won't actually be $83M?

My questions here....and yes I know its not my money...but why would the Union allow Josh to take a paycut to go back to Texas as is beying reported by Rosenthal?

He isn't taking a pay cut, as I understand it. The Angels are paying all but $15M of his remaining salary, the portion that is being picked up by Texas.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

The moment we've all been waiting for......CJ Wilson's thoughts

"If he's back on a field, it's good for him," said Hamilton's longtime teammate, C.J. Wilson, who didn't know any details.

"No matter what the situation is, I think Josh is going to pick up a 35-inch bat and go swing. That's what he's good at, and I think that's what he needs to be doing right now."