• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: No change in talks between Angels and Huston Street

I couldn't care less about save conversion rate.  He's not a big strikeout pitcher, he gives up some longballs and he's had some pretty mediocre seasons.  He was downright bad in 2013 with the padres.  He's also on the wrong side of 30 and relies a lot on his slider.

he's not bad overall, but he can be replaced IMO.  And I'd hate for the angels to throw top 5 closer money at this guy and watch him underperform and/or get injured.  we have enough bad contracts

Craig Kimbrel signed his 4 year 42 million dollar extension while he was still in arbitration. It's not a valid comparison. Even that being said, Street will likely sign for slightly less than that. Kimbrel is among the top 3 or 5 most valuable relievers in MLB. I don't think you have to be in the top 3-5 to be considered elite.

Closers need not be "big strike out pitchers." Nobody does. An out is an out. A guy who gets a high proportion of his outs via the strike out is useful if he's a reliever who is being used to take over when runners are on. That's not Street's job. However his SO/9 over his career is 9.0, which is plenty.

While 2013 was obviously a down year for Street's standards, he wasn't "downright bad." He compiled a 127 ERA+ to go along with a 1.02 WHIP. He did give up an excessive amount of home runs that year but he was still quite effective as he converted 33 of his 35 save opportunities. If he blows two saves a year for the next four years he would be a great success for the Angels.

Street and Fuentes are not a good comparison. Streets career numbers are better or much better than Fuentes in almost every category. 

We can agree to disagree. 

I couldn't care less about save conversion rate.  He's not a big strikeout pitcher, he gives up some longballs and he's had some pretty mediocre seasons.  He was downright bad in 2013 with the padres.  He's also on the wrong side of 30 and relies a lot on his slider.

he's not bad overall, but he can be replaced IMO.  And I'd hate for the angels to throw top 5 closer money at this guy and watch him underperform and/or get injured.  we have enough bad contracts

Strikeouts are false indicators and their value is being reassessed by most sabermatricians that at one time over weighted the value. Frieri had a SO/9 of 12.4 in 2013 and was neither an elite or reliable pen arm. Jepsen had an even 9 the same season and still you wouldn't trust him in the late innings. Salas had a 9.4 K per 9 and yet many cringed when he came in. Meanwhile Mariano Rivera never had a season where his K totals were better than 9.8, for a career he averaged 8.2 and that is no small sample size.

In the end getting 3 outs before a runner scores is the true value in a closer. Everything else is style points that doesn't necessarily win games.

I couldn't care less about save conversion rate. He's not a big strikeout pitcher, he gives up some longballs and he's had some pretty mediocre seasons. He was downright bad in 2013 with the padres. He's also on the wrong side of 30 and relies a lot on his slider.

he's not bad overall, but he can be replaced IMO. And I'd hate for the angels to throw top 5 closer money at this guy and watch him underperform and/or get injured. we have enough bad contracts

So because he had a 7.3 K/9, even tho he only blew 2 saves and had an ERA of 2.70, he was downright bad? Looool what a joke Edited by SoWhat

We all know players when put in different environments (new teams) can tend to play differently.

Whatever his past, I think Street is comfortable here, hence, why he's done a good job for us. I've been watching him since he came up with the A's, and while he's struggled, I always like his stuff, and his approach to batters. I think right now he's got his mojo going, so why not take advantage of that while we have it.

Up to last season, our bullpen and arms that were able to close out a game were definitely mediocre, and sometimes painful to watch. Walking the leadoff batter constantly, for example, made me want to pull my hair out. I haven't seen a lot of leadoff walks from Street, and that's nice. He's also not going to get a lot of K's because he goes after batters and lets them get themselves out.

he's not bad overall, but he can be replaced IMO.

If he can be so easily replaced, why has it taken this organization almost a decade to finally find a decent closer?

While I'm sure there are others out there, if its not broke, why fix it?

I don't have the greatest confidence in this organization when it would come to replacing him. And who knows if they'll do as good a job.

paying a closer 10 million+ per year is just stupid, unless he's the best of the best. Which street is not

Get outta here.

Arte's dumping 25+ Mill a season on a guy that's doesn't even have a locker. This teams needed a nail to shut down teams in the 9th for years. Proof is in the pudding. Look at tonight. Up 2-0 and I'd be biting my freakin' nails if any other reliever was up. Huston comes out and gets it done without even breaking a sweat.

Guy knows how to throw and he's the backbone to an entire bullpen. Give him 30 Mill for 3 years and you're still gonna get more out of him than Mr. Sniffer.

How many people have forgotten about the time between KROD and Sweet? Fuentes, Rodney, Walden, and Fuentes.

yea.....Street is replaceable. So was KROD or so we were told.

[Hiquote name=Hollyw00d" post="564634" timestamp="1429751918]

I couldn't care less about save conversion rate. He's not a big strikeout pitcher, he gives up some longballs and he's had some pretty mediocre seasons. He was downright bad in 2013 with the padres. He's also on the wrong side of 30 and relies a lot on his slider.

he's not bad overall, but he can be replaced IMO. And I'd hate for the angels to throw top 5 closer money at this guy and watch him underperform and/or get injured. we have enough bad contracts