• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

ANGEL STADIUM EMPLOYEES TOLD TO WORK DURING NATIONAL ANTHEM

gotbeer

It's about F'ing time.

I always seem to hit the security line right when the anthem starts and by the time the high school girl from El Monte is done with the anthem the line is 200 people deep. Or I hit the bottom of the escalator(shut up Bruin) and they stop people from taking the escalator during the anthem. What's the point of that? I can't see the girl from El Monte, I can barely hear her.

And making the geniuses in the concession stands pause for 60 seconds causes a back-up lasting until the 2nd inning.

You just know that BRUIN uses Arte's elevator to get to his comped Club Level seats.

Anti-Mericuh!

Seriously though, I agree with calscuf.  Yeah yeah, we all love America, but the concessions pause does nothing but cause more aggravation while the line builds 40 deep.  I doubt most of the workers could give a crap about joining in, they just do it because its expected and awkward if they don't because everyone else is doing it.  People even stop in the middle of the concourse sometimes to look up at the video screens with their hands over their chest so I have to avoid them like patriotic pylons. 

I have to agree with what's being said here. If you're in the seating area, fine, stop for the anthem. If you're by the escalators, the concession stands et al, you can barely hear it anyway, and stopping causes bottlenecks, so there's no reason not to keep moving.

And it's a good point that most workers probably stop out of peer pressure, not because they care. That's probably true for a lot of patrons, too.

Is it respectful to heckle people that want to get to their seat before the game starts?

I always arrive early and get to my seats prior to the national anthem. If you go to a lot of Angels games you already know that a boat load of people arrive in the 2nd or 3rd inning and leave after the completion if the 7th inning. That's how they roll.

As a society I think we need to make a rule regarding the anthem.

If you are in clear sight of the singer or the flag, stop, show respect, but if you are a 1/4 mile away and can barley hear it, you have no patriotic obligations.

Good start. I'd go as far as proposing: if you're in your seat and paying patron, at least stand. Hat off and hand over heart are optional. Other than that keep it moving. Sing along if you like. If you respect the flag so much have enough respect to be in your seat so that you can see the flag instead of buying a hot dog.

I always arrive early and get to my seats prior to the national anthem. If you go to a lot of Angels games you already know that a boat load of people arrive in the 2nd or 3rd inning and leave after the completion if the 7th inning. That's how they roll.

If you go to a boatload of sporting events, the national anthem is kinda like the highlight video they show pregame.  Personally, I'm there for the game, so I roll in as late as possible, but early enough that I rarely miss Trout's first at bat.    

I see no reason for everyone to freeze during the anthem.  I think they tell the employees to freeze so there's no question about the patriotism of the stadium management.

Now they're telling the employees to keep moving, this is a good idea.  Why the union is pissed about it is puzzling though.

I was raised on the values of this country, by two parents who served in the military.  This country decided long ago to show appreciation to Vets, and honor the integrity of this great nation by playing the National Anthem at these events.  I honor friends, family, and those who've sacrificed by taking a minute or two to silently recognize them and the place this Nation holds in the world as a leader and protector.  I am a student of our history, so I recognize the weight of the words sung.

I was taught that if you can hear the Anthem, you stop in your tracks (as safely and reasonably as possible), remove your hat, and remain silent until completion.  If I see somebody not removing their hat, or otherwise disrespecting the Anthem, I will kindly (but sometimes, loudly) ask them to correct themselves.  But, that is the extent of my getting annoyed because I also recognize the right of ignorant morons to be disrespectful of those who constantly pay for that freedom.

My father served in World War II and the Korean War. My uncle was a B-24 copilot flying bombing raids over Nazi Germany. It doesn't bother me one bit to pause when the national anthem is played. I have also been to sporting events in Canada and the UK, and it is common practice for things to stop when the national anthem is played there as well.

It is an interesting topic though. I have a ton of Euro friends from a multitude of countries and am genuinely interested in their cultures, but also what they think of America or how it relates to their country.

One of the most brought up aspects is our patriotism. It's like we are one of the only countries that play the national anthem before every sporting event, it's not a common act in the rest of the world.

For Teemu Night back in January a couple of Finns sat next to me. Their first time in America. They were baffled by the anthems wondering wtf was going on. One of them spoke fluid English. He asked me what it was about. He laughed when I told him we do this before every major sport. He also got a huge kick out of the 3rd period salute a veteran segment where 90% of the players on the ice tapping their sticks weren't even American.

Edited by Cory