• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Sayonara Hamilton

Hindsight is so 20/20 from some people.

I love "the club signed a known addict" like they should have seen this coming, so now they're just supposed to be OK with it? Like the guy was doing lines on the desk when they made an agreement or something. Hamilton had been clean and behaving for years, and I didn't hear ANYONE saying "Oh man, this isn't a good move because the guy USED to do drugs. No doubt he's going to relapse and be a clubhouse distraction." It was the LAST thing we thought we'd have to deal with. Arte, as well as the rest of the organization, thought Hamilton was over that crap. Hamilton said it himself. There wouldn't have even been contract negotiations if Arte had a doubt in his mind.

plenty of people on these boards were saying exactly this when Hamilton was a free agent, and before he signed with the Angels. Not to mention this:

josh-hamilton-error-oakland.jpg

Jeff, next time you're talking to the clubhouse attendants and asking them who gave the order to NOT make a nametag for Hamilton's locker, can you ask them how they ended up giving Trout the same number as Vlad?

Jeff Fletcher: Did you order the Code Red?

Col. Jessup: What do you want?

Jeff Fletcher: I want the TRUTH!

Col. Jessup: You can't handle the truth! The truth is you WANT Hamilton off that locker, you NEED Hamilton off that locker. WE tell the players where and when they can put their jock straps on and until Josh can hit the outside curve HE'S ON THE OUTSIDE CURB! And until you can accept that I'd prefer you just said "thank you" and go about your day.

a day later and this post still baffles me.

My favorite part of this thread is Fletcher calling out people who think they know the situation because they watch Hamilton play on TV. So what does the board do after that, they go into discrediting what Fletch brings to the table because the players manipulate him. It would basically be the equivalent of any of us claiming we know more about someone's job than the person doing that job. Just a hunch Fletch knows who he can trust and who he can't.

My favorite part of this thread is Fletcher calling out people who think they know the situation because they watch Hamilton play on TV. So what does the board do after that, they go into discrediting what Fletch brings to the table because the players manipulate him. It would basically be the equivalent of any of us claiming we know more about someone's job than the person doing that job. Just a hunch Fletch knows who he can trust and who he can't.

you mean like when the board does this with any and all of the coaches, medical and training staff, front office, players and owner?  

Jeff should feel privileged.   

The "Hindsight is 20/20 crowd"

Let me guess, you were previously the "it's not our money crowd" 

Many here did not like the deal from day one. That's not hindsight. 

It seems like Moreno pushed the Pujols and possibly CJ deals hoping to cash in an easy ring. Then like a bad gambler on tilt doubled down on Hamilton. Good news is now we are seeing JD makes some brilliant moves. 

a day later and this post still baffles me.

Troutbaseball has neither the time nor the inclination to explain himself to a man who reads the post he provided, and then questions the manner in which he provided it.  He would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way.  Otherwise, he'd suggest you pick up your keyboard and create a post. Either way, he doesn't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Edited by the dude abides

Troutbaseball has neither the time nor the inclination to explain himself to a man who reads the post he provided, and then questions the manner in which he provided it.  He would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way.  Otherwise, he'd suggest you pick up your keyboard and create a post. Either way, he doesn't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Me too. The logic is all off but I was on a roll and couldn't stop myself.  Probably something about seeing Fletcher in a "f*ggity white uniform" reading the Marine Corp Handbook and the King James Bible.

This thread has taken a weird turn. 

Nobody's discrediting him; just pointing out that he is a member of the press and may therefore not be privvy to the players' complete thoughts on this issue.

And perhaps it's possible that some of us commenting have worked in the same field, just maybe. I can't see how anyone who works in journalism would NOT acknowledge that their subjects are aware that their words are going to be broadcast to a large audience - and, therefore, may moderate what they say or refrain from being particularly candid or inflammatory. That doesn't mean they're making shit up; it means they're watching what they say. It would be very foolish to do otherwise. That reporter might be your buddy, but he's also a buddy who's reporting what you say to the world.

Edited by AngelsSurfer

Nobody's discrediting him; just pointing out that he is a member of the press and may therefore not be privvy to the players' complete thoughts on this issue.

And perhaps it's possible that some of us commenting have worked in the same field, just maybe. I can't see how anyone who works in journalism would NOT acknowledge that their subjects are aware that their words are going to be broadcast to a large audience - and, therefore, may moderate what they say or refrain from being particularly candid. It would be very foolish to do otherwise.

I am aware of this. I realize players aren't always being honest. That's why I talk to as many as possible, on and off the record, so I can be as sure as possible that the quotes I use reflect reality.

And in my experience management is more likely to manipulate than players.

I am aware of this. I realize players aren't always being honest. That's why I talk to as many as possible, on and off the record, so I can be as sure as possible that the quotes I use reflect reality.

There is no "on and off the record" when talking to the media. 

I'm glad you take that step. And I would agree, management has a talent for spinning things. I would also agree with below, though: a wise subject will realize that there's no such thing as "off the record," and that anything they say or do in front of a member of the media might be repeated one way or the other.

standing ovation, dude, standing ovation.

Ok. I'll take your word for it.

Really though, why would people tell you anything private "off the record" if they didn't want the public finding out?  It's like a criminal defendant telling the DA "off the record" that he shanked other victims too. 

Your job revolves around finding new information.  I can't imagine people being truly forthcoming if it would come back to haunt them. 

Edited by mp170.6

Really though, why would people tell you anything private "off the record" if they didn't want the public finding out? It's like a criminal defendant telling the DA "off the record" that he shanked other victims too.

Your job revolves around finding new information. I can't imagine people being truly forthcoming if it would come back to haunt them.

People like to talk and share their opinions. Sometimes to a fault.

Really though, why would people tell you anything private "off the record" if they didn't want the public finding out? It's like a criminal defendant telling the DA "off the record" that he shanked other victims too.

Your job revolves around finding new information. I can't imagine people being truly forthcoming if it would come back to haunt them.

Because people build relationships and trust