• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels 2B Trade Options

I'm sure Green could help some MLB club now in a utility role as an OF/ MIF depth guy/ DH.

Not so sure about Rutledge -- he came into ST with the job pretty much his and some how managed to play himself out of the starting job and perhaps off the roster. That's not an easy thing to do.

Featherston is the Rule 5 guy who goes back to Colorado if we don't keep him on the MLB roster all season - but Rutledge may be the one who finds his way back to Colorado.......Halos will make a half-hearted effort to trade him but teams may balk waiting for the DFA period to expire and negotiate directly with Rutledge while the Halos remain on the hook for the portion of his contract above the MLB minimum.

Expect (this always seems to happen at start of the season cut down time) some player to have a mysterious ailment and be placed on the DL to start the season so that some of these decisions are delayed........

When did Howie Kendrick hit 20 HRs. After all that is the only spot in the lineup we are missing from last year.

The reason 2b is a hole right now is because Kendrick is gone and there is no true 4th or 5th hitter in the lineup as Sosh wants it currently constructed. If Trout and Pujols must remain at 2 and 3 respectively in the lineup, then a clean up hitter is going to be needed and 2B is an empty hole of lost expectations. Utley would make sense... 5 years ago. If someone stepped up and could hit 20 homers with 80 rbi's outside of the top 3 in the lineup, the Angels will be ok. If not, it could be a struggle to score runs for long stretches this season.

Why DFA him when he has options? And since he has options wouldn't he be making the minimum?

I'm sure Green could help some MLB club now in a utility role as an OF/ MIF depth guy/ DH.

Not so sure about Rutledge -- he came into ST with the job pretty much his and some how managed to play himself out of the starting job and perhaps off the roster. That's not an easy thing to do.

Featherston is the Rule 5 guy who goes back to Colorado if we don't keep him on the MLB roster all season - but Rutledge may be the one who finds his way back to Colorado.......Halos will make a half-hearted effort to trade him but teams may balk waiting for the DFA period to expire and negotiate directly with Rutledge while the Halos remain on the hook for the portion of his contract above the MLB minimum.

Expect (this always seems to happen at start of the season cut down time) some player to have a mysterious ailment and be placed on the DL to start the season so that some of these decisions are delayed........

Heaney has been horrible in ST ... should we trade or DFA him?

That is pretty dumb. I wouldn't use Rutledge's spring training stats to devalue you him. I would use his regular season stats, since he has more experience than any of the other options we currently have. Now if I was on the Rutledge bandwagon (which there isn't one) I would look to his age and use that as the argument that he has the most upside, considering he is the youngest realistic option of the three.

Edited by Stradling

That is pretty dumb. I wouldn't use Rutledge's spring training stats to devalue you him. I would use his regular season stats, since he has more experience than any of the other options we currently have. Now if I was on the Rutledge bandwagon (which there isn't one) I would look to his age and use that as the argument that he has the most upside, considering he is the youngest realistic option of the three.

Now you're thinking ... Rutledge does have more upside than the others. Now that doesn't always translate to success at the ML level. Although, Rutledge does have better career numbers.

I highly doubt that Dipoto made the trade only to give up on him after ST ... what do you think?

Edited by Troll Daddy

I wouldn't equate Rutledge with Heaney -- Heaney is a top prospect and we gave up HK for him -- Heaney's ST numbers (and more importantly, his actual performances) have been terrible.  He clearly needs more work at the AAA level but remains a top prospect.  He will be up with the Halos this season, making some spot starts and perhaps in the rotation. He'll likely be in the rotation as a number 4/5 guy in 2016.

At this stage of his career and with the dwindling length of MLB careers in terms of years -- Rutledge is almost a MLB vet soon to be journeyman MIF......he's not cutting it. We didn't give up a whole lot to get him and he's being outplayed by the three other guys in camp competing for the 2B job. At this point he's clearly slipped behind Gaviotella and Featherson is going to stay as a Rule 5 guy. Green? If he sticks, it's an all around utility guy OF plus some INF depth at 3B and 2B -- but I agree with other posts here -- Green probably not on the 25 man roster.

Both Green and Rutledge are able to help some other MLB team NOW. Makes no sense to park them at SLC while time ticks away on their prime time for an MLB career.

Green is on his way to being a 4-A player, apparently, if he stays with the Halos -- not sure if he is willing to settle for that at this stage of his career.

Rutledge may be a 4-A player for us or someone else where his chances are better -- I think he could probably go back to Colorado and be in the staring line up at 2B opening day. If so, he should be given that opportunity.

the returns for a trade of either Green or Rutledge at this points would be pretty slim.

trading a guy at cut down time when it's clear he's not making your opening day roster doesn't usually yield much in return.

the best one could hope for would be a low level pitching prospect or maybe a pen depth guy you can send to SLC -- a guy who barely missed making the opening day roster of the team you are dealing with.

wind blowing out today in Tempe --wouldn't put too much stock in the offensive numbers or the pitching lines......except ratio of balls/ strikes  and walks/ strike outs.

however, the more Guerrero hits like this -- the more likely guys like Darwin Barney and Turner (both starting for the Dodgers today) are going to be sent out and NOT make the opening day roster.

I'd be inclined to take Barney over the 2B guys we have in camp -- since we're keeping Faetherston, as a Rule 5 guy, some of our options are limited.  Is this Featherston that good that we need to sacrifice a roster spot for the guy -- hate to sacrifice a roster spot for a Rule 5 player if he's only going to get about 150 ABs for the season and is no guarantee to be part of future plans beyond 2015.

taking the best players, I'd take a guy like Barney if we could get him and team him with Gaviotella (sounds like Green is out of the MIF mix, playing more OF trying to make the club with Hamilton's absence).  Start Gaviotellla and then use a guy like Barney as late inning defensive guy -- not for Gavioatella but for Freese -- can Gaviotella play third?  Barney can but I'd put his stellar glove work at 2B.......

I know I make these posts sound as if Barney is an option for the Angels and he's not even on the Halos and, in fact, playing against us today ---but watching the Dogs, I don't see any way that Barney makes the opening day roster........and HK is going to play about 155 games and get close to 600 ABs on the season, Guerrero is coming on for the Dogs and they have Turner playing SS today and I think J. Turner makes the team over Barney -- so unless the Dodgers are going to store Barney at AAA as 4-A insurance for Rollins -- he may become available.

SF Giants might be interested.