• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Kris Bryant

And cheaper simply because contracts written regarding buying out arbitration are based on other like contracts. Delaying that buyout gives them another year of MLB minimum time on Bryant that they wouldn't have if they put him on the field on opening day. It is about money.

It's funny how offended you are by this. Keep fighting another man's non-existent problems.

I got Bryant in the 12th round and Soler in the 19th(only an eight team league).

I'm in a 12-team keeper league where managers can hold up to 5 players from the previous season.  A manager picked up Bryant via free agency after last year's ASB and kept him towards this season.

On a side note, the league I participate in has a bidding auction draft with $265 allocated to each team.  The biggest reach in our draft was Joc Pederson (Doyers rookie) which several managers got into a bidding war and was eventually bought at $17.  Gotta love fantasy baseball!

The next mark reynolds

I think Bryant's power will compensate for the strikeouts. I could see Adam Dunn with slightly better defense or even Stanton. Baez, on the other hand, is the most worrisome of the Cubs prospects. He strikes out just as much and doesn't have the plate discipline to counter the Ks. 

And cheaper simply because contracts written regarding buying out arbitration are based on other like contracts. Delaying that buyout gives them another year of MLB minimum time on Bryant that they wouldn't have if they put him on the field on opening day. It is about money.

As I pointed out yesterday, this is not true.

If he comes up sometime between 12 days and two months into the season, he'll still get three years of minumum salary. The difference is he'll get a fourth year of arbitration, instead of just three.

It's almost like the Cubs are giving him a one-year extension right now, so he's signed for 7 years instead of 6. He's going to make the same amount of money in those 7 years as he would have either way, but the Cubs get to keep him rather than bidding for him in the 7th year.

Now, if the Cubs keep him down until June.... that's about money.

7 years of club control means Bryant is denied a year earlier for free agency if he chose to wait it out. It reduces his value on that market because of age, being close to 30 before he can sign. So for the Cubs it is all win while for Bryant it is a definite loss.

The Cubs will probably do a Trout like deal if he plays to his potential but that is based on more years of pre arbitration valuation and four instead of three years of arbitration. It still favors the Cubs for all of a two week service delay.

I fully understand the economic decision Theo made. I get it is within the rules to do so. I am not in any agreement that it has a neutral affect on Bryant' career.

7 years of club control means Bryant is denied a year earlier for free agency if he chose to wait it out. It reduces his value on that market because of age, being close to 30 before he can sign. So for the Cubs it is all win while for Bryant it is a definite loss.

The Cubs will probably do a Trout like deal if he plays to his potential but that is based on more years of pre arbitration valuation and four instead of three years of arbitration. It still favors the Cubs for all of a two week service delay.

I fully understand the economic decision Theo made. I get it is within the rules to do so. I am not in any agreement that it has a neutral affect on Bryant' career.

Well, I was responding to this...

Which is a different point than the one you are making in your most recent post.

Obviously it sucks for Bryant and is "about money" to him. But it's not "about money" to the Cubs. They won't really save any.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

In the end neither is going to the poor house but the Cubs may just be missing the playoffs because of service time games missed. If that happens, the amount of money the organization loses probably is never offset by buying another arbitration season. I kind of hope this scenario happens just so Cubs fans have a new goat to blame.

;-)

In the end neither is going to the poor house but the Cubs may just be missing the playoffs because of service time games missed. If that happens, the amount of money the organization loses probably is never offset by buying another arbitration season. I kind of hope this scenario happens just so Cubs fans have a new goat to blame.

;-)

As I said before, the likelihood of Kris Bryant's performance and the Cubs season and the seasons of all the other teams falling so perfectly into line as to make him missing 12 games the difference between them making it and not making is miniscule.

As I said before, the likelihood of Kris Bryant's performance and the Cubs season and the seasons of all the other teams falling so perfectly into line as to make him missing 12 games the difference between them making it and not making is miniscule.

Not only that but why do fans only care about the Cubs' playoff chances this year? Why are people not equally concerned with their playoff chances in 2021? You would think a guy who puts up a win every 12 games would have a tremendous effect on the Cubs over the course of a full season.

Trout missed 21 games of 2012 and the Angels missed the playoffs by four games. I can clearly see ten games being a difference maker in a division full of uncertainty.

Trout missed 21 games of 2012 and the Angels missed the playoffs by four games. I can clearly see ten games being a difference maker in a division full of uncertainty.

Trout had the best rookie season in the history of baseball. Jeff never denied there was a 1 in 1,000 or 10,000 chance it could make a difference.

But even if Trout played those 21 games we wouldn't have single handily won 4 of them. At that pace he would have had a 32 win season. Roughly 4 times as good as his MVP season last year.

Lets pull Trout out of the first ten games this season to spot the division those games and see how all that works out.

If given the choice between between pulling Trout for the first ten games if this season or the entire last season of his contract then which one are you choosing?

• 3 weeks later...

Cubs have called him up and he will hit cleanup today against the Padres at Wrigley.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-kris-bryant-promoted-20150416-story.html

Bryant’s promotion was revealed shortly after he hit a three-run homer in the sixth inning of Iowa’s 10-7 victory at New Orleans in the first game of a doubleheader. Bryant batted .321 with three home runs and 10 RBIs for Iowa after winning large support from his teammates following an amazing spring training in which he batted .425 with nine home runs and 15 RBIs in only 40 at-bats.

Edited by fan_since79

And yet, he's only 7 months younger than the reigning AL MVP. I am already so sick of the Bryant hype. It's worse than the Harper hype. 

On the hype scale, where do Bryant and Harper fall relative to Trout?