• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Kris Bryant

And cheaper simply because contracts written regarding buying out arbitration are based on other like contracts. Delaying that buyout gives them another year of MLB minimum time on Bryant that they wouldn't have if they put him on the field on opening day. It is about money.

They aren't delaying the arbitration buyout. Bryant is eligible for arbitration after 2017 if he comes up fairly soon. He well just have 4 years of arbitration. With his last year being nearly market value. It may save them a few million but it's not in the tens. That's how I've read it anyway.

Maybe Jeff understands the service time better and can clarify how this affects his arbitration clock.

Edited by eaterfan

Some of articles I've read on this mention the Angels did the exact same thing with Trout.

We know it wasn't exactly the case, but just saying.

If clubs can't do this then you can kiss September call-ups goodbye. (If I'm understanding this correctly).

Or injury replacements.

88 games won the Pirates and Giants and playoff berth last season. There is a chance the Cubs could contend the NL Central. There is less of a chance if they give the division a two week head start. See Angels 2010-2013.

They are definitely heading in the right direction with the same leader who presided over the Red Sux WS titles.

I can see them contending in the NL Central in 2016, if they find an extra solid starting pitcher.  

After Lester and Arrieta, the rotation is a question mark.  

Hendricks is still young and only pitched some 80 MLB innings in 2014.  

Hammel is up and down.

The bullpen is definitely a question mark.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Well every time you don't buy a lottery ticket you are potentially losing the chance of a lifetime. Think of that next time you pass a gas station.

I've never bought a lottery ticket.   I don't play slots.  

The Cubs are making a good decision. I'd do the same thing. It just stinks.

Regarding his service time and salary, assuming he comes up in 12 days and then stays in the majors for good, he will have 3 years of of minimum salary and then 4 years of arbitration, as opposed to 3 and 3.

So the 7th year, when he's a fourth-time arbitration eligible, he'll still make a lot of money. It will not be quite what he would make on the free agent market, but it could be pretty close because free agent deals are usually backloaded.

David Price, for example, is making $19.75M this year as a fourth-year arb eligible guy. Jon Lester, in his first year of a deal signed as a free agent, is making $20 million. Max Scherzer is making $17.1 million. Of course Lester and Scherzer both have lots of guaranteed money after this year, while Price doesn't.

Basically, the Cubs are making a baseball decision, not necessarily a financial one, but it's a long-term baseball decision, really no different than trading one year of Howie Kendrick for six years of Andrew Heaney.

They are trading 12 days of Kris Bryant for one year of him, which is sort of a no-brainer.

Again, Fletcher has this analyzed spot on.

the GM would be committing front office malpractice not to do what the Cubs are doing here.

and folks on another thread are saying the delay in the Hamilton decision is no big deal (I disagree with that assessment) because he's not playing etc.

well, this Kris Bryant decision means he's off the roster for under TWO weeks. A real no brainer given the stakes.

as for MLBPA being upset and guys like Boros complaining -- well, isn't this (this aspect of the MLBPA) what they bargained for?  have to take the good terms with the less than good (as in bad) terms.

The longer you can choose to delay a long term commitment the happier you are financially. Even if the potential amount being spent is similar.

Conversely the added year (even as a Boras client) may make that (somewhat) club friendly long term deal that buys out arbitration years  as well as free agent years more attractive to the player.

Either way it is advantageous to the team.

Regarding his service time and salary, assuming he comes up in 12 days and then stays in the majors for good, he will have 3 years of of minimum salary and then 4 years of arbitration, as opposed to 3 and 3.

So the 7th year, when he's a fourth-time arbitration eligible, he'll still make a lot of money. It will not be quite what he would make on the free agent market, but it could be pretty close because free agent deals are usually backloaded.

David Price, for example, is making $19.75M this year as a fourth-year arb eligible guy. Jon Lester, in his first year of a deal signed as a free agent, is making $20 million. Max Scherzer is making $17.1 million. Of course Lester and Scherzer both have lots of guaranteed money after this year, while Price doesn't.

Basically, the Cubs are making a baseball decision, not necessarily a financial one, but it's a long-term baseball decision, really no different than trading one year of Howie Kendrick for six years of Andrew Heaney.

They are trading 12 days of Kris Bryant for one year of him, which is sort of a no-brainer.

Nice post ... but this isn't remotely close to the Kendrick trade.

MLBPA called it a "bad day for baseball"

Theo hasn't been honest with his fan base or baseball fans in general. He has made comments to the press about holding back Bryant that are disingenuous ... why?

I get why ... but it's all politics. You look for loopholes in the system then lie about your intentions. Bryant had a phenomenal season last year .., yet, he wasn't even rewarded with a September call up.

It this move didn't stink ... then you wouldn't have to lie about it.

It stinks for Bryant but those are the rules. Everyone in every walk of life gets screwed by the rules once in a while.

You know who else gets screwed by the rules? Every team that signs a player to a guaranteed deal and that player gets hurt.

Sad for the Kendrick comparison, my point was that this was more of a trade than a financial issue. The trade was 12 days of Bryant for one season of Bryant.

Teams trade a little of the present for a lot of the future all the time.

“He’s a brilliant talent. There’s no denying any of that. I’m not going to sit here and try to say things that really are disingenuous. This guy’s good. He’s going to be really good. I can’t wait for him to get back up. He’s going to be a big part of our future.”

Joe Maddon

"MLBPA called it a "bad day for baseball""

Of course the MLBPA is going to say this - they are player's union.  Who gives a rat's ass what they think?  They can cry "litigate!" all they want but they have zero grounds and any move towards that direction would be nothing but grandstanding PR.  If they have a problem with it, hey, don't agree to the CBA that includes it next time.   

It stinks for Bryant but those are the rules. Everyone in every walk of life gets screwed by the rules once in a while.

You know who else gets screwed by the rules? Every team that signs a player to a guaranteed deal and that player gets hurt.

Sad for the Kendrick comparison, my point was that this was more of a trade than a financial issue. The trade was 12 days of Bryant for one season of Bryant.

Teams trade a little of the present for a lot of the future all the time.

It's not the rule that stinks ... it's the lying. Just come out and tell the fans the truth.