• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

9/11 Misremembering - Many of you are Brain Williams.

One of the few things I remember vividly...mainly because I was just out of high school, living at home, and had the same routine every morning of eating a bowl of cereal and watching SportsCenter first thing in the morning. Before ESPN used the ABC feed they kept bringing up the first plane crash. I switched channels to see it was a big deal on many stations. I stuck with one and watched the rest unfold until I worked at 3pm at a gym.

The crazy part wasn't being glued to the TV, it was at work with a radio and the guests that came in with theories. It was the first time I ever heard the name Osama Bin Laden.

Back then I worked out before work.  So was up super early.  They were talking about some plane that crashed into the tower.  They were talking about how it was a small plane, must have been a cessna and how could they crash into the tower on such a clear day.  Then the second plane hit.  Then the third.  Then the tower fell.  By that time I missed my workout and had to leave, late for work.  Not much was done at work that day either.  

CNN had been covering the disappearance of Chandra Levy* 24/7 for months, and then 9/11 hit. For a few minutes they had a split screen covering Levy and the World Trade Center, and then she vanished from the news. Her body was found a year later.

*young intern linked to a California congressman, for those who don't remember her.

Edited by fan_since79

CNN had been covering the disappearance of Chandra Levy* 24/7 for months, and then 9/11 hit. For a few minutes they had a split screen covering Levy and the World Trade Center, and then she vanished from the news. Her body was found a year later.

*young intern linked to a California congressman, for those who don't remember her.

i remember there was also a big story about massive numbers of sharks along beaches in florida.

i remember that it was a tuesday morning. my wife gets up early. she awakened me after the second plane hit the second tower. i didn't want to go to work. i just wanted to watch tv and see it all unfold. saw the first tower collapse, and then the second one fell right before i got off the freeway. i remember thinking it was silly to see all of the "have you seen this person?" posters people were putting up everywhere in manhatten. i figured there were probably 10-20k dead in the towers.

it was also the first time i'd heard of osama bin laden and al qaeda.

I was producing the morning show at Channel 4, and the great Christopher Nance looked up at 5:40ish (I think) and said, "hey there's a high rise fire in NY, let's stay on that until 7:00a and coast for the next hour and change."

We took it, not really knowing what it was.   And of course listened in on CNBC, until we started getting the wires that it was a plane crash.   Ultimately we went and switched over to Today show coverage, and then I sat in the control room until 4:00pm updated the damn crawl at the bottom of the screen.

I can't tell you who the male anchor was, but my female anchor was Kelly Mack.   

As for game 6 and 7, I was wasted and at both games.   I saw Giants fans crying after the game 6 comeback.   Game 7 it was inevitable after the game 6 heroics.

God yes.  We would have to run stories about there being no news in the search for Chandra Levy.   That dad was on a media tour like something fierce. I think he took a page out of Fred Goldman's book.   But hey, that's the way to get coverage for your loved ones.

I was working night shift at the time so I woke and put on the tv and the first images were the WTC on fire and I was disoriented and thought it was some Bruce Willis die hard sequel. It took a while for me to register it was a live event and then minutes later the second plane hit.

Also, Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf had just died. http://www.eonline.com/news/42115/howard-stern-s-hank-the-dwarf-dies

I was driving to work listening to the sports station.  They cut off everything and went to the national news.  They closed our office just after lunch to go home to be with our families.  Just like others on here it was the first time I had ever heard the name Osama Bin Laden.  

Edited by 1nutkruk

I got out of the Marines in April, so 5 months before 9/11.

The 8 weeks before I got out, the entire 2nd Marine Division was participating in a field exercise that simulated a terrorist attack. Bin Laden's name was the one we got briefed on the most every day in the simulation. They knew it was coming.

meh, Bin Laden and AQ were on the radar since the missile strike and cole attack.

When we were pre mob for our westpac, (summer prior to 9/11), the Chinese were the ones we kept talking about. This was just a few months after that P-3 clipped the chinese fighter and had to land in china. At least from our end, we all assumed one day we would have to fight AQ, but the chinese/nkorean thing was bigger (to be fair i was on the west coast...not like all the goofy bastards in 2 mardiv cez...)

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

I also had never heard of Bin Laden. Yet he declared war on us in 1998 but the beej, a cigar tube, and a stained blue dress dominated the news that year.

Im always suprised (and this isnt directed at you) how many people hadnt heard of UBL or AQ prior to 9/11. The news actually had covered him and the run up to 9/11...most people just werent interested. When we tried to hit him in 98, people accused clinton of 'wagging the dog'. And its that kind of thinking that led to it all happening in the first place.

Not trying to defend the media, but we complain all the time about how the report entertainment news over real news. In their defense, the masses are more interested in the bullshit than the 'pre 9/11 bin laden' stories.

Most of us here (myself included) would gladly pay X amount of dollars a month for mlb, but would probably scoff at the idea of paying the same money for reporting of obscure people in messed up areas.

Put it like this, most people couldnt tell the difference between hamas and hezbollah. And theyve been around, and have had their open opinions of us for years and years.

I was working in a place best described as the Ozarks of Arabia. From that day on the security was tightened up everywhere. The embassy quit having open functions. The diving trips to the Red Sea were forbidden by the Saudi authorities. The softball tournaments that were open to all competition in the region basically got shut down. Every place went on high security. I heard a few dumbasses yell some dumbass stuff but I never really felt threatened. 

I flew into San Jose the night before to meet with some clients. I woke up the next day to see the second plane hit the twin towers. My clients closed that day and all flights were cancelled at the San Jose airport. I had to drive back to Orange County but couldn't pickup my car at JWA because it was closed as well. The whole time I was in shock because I couldn't believe the US was attacked by terrorist highjackers.

Edited by JAHV76

Im always suprised (and this isnt directed at you) how many people hadnt heard of UBL or AQ prior to 9/11. The news actually had covered him and the run up to 9/11...most people just werent interested. When we tried to hit him in 98, people accused clinton of 'wagging the dog'. And its that kind of thinking that led to it all happening in the first place.

Not trying to defend the media, but we complain all the time about how the report entertainment news over real news. In their defense, the masses are more interested in the bullshit than the 'pre 9/11 bin laden' stories.

Most of us here (myself included) would gladly pay X amount of dollars a month for mlb, but would probably scoff at the idea of paying the same money for reporting of obscure people in messed up areas.

Put it like this, most people couldnt tell the difference between hamas and hezbollah. And theyve been around, and have had their open opinions of us for years and years.

Hamas is a Greek style bean dip while Hezbollah is a New Jersey bowling ally and strip joint.

Nice Fox News approach with this post, going with the UBL.