• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Johnny Giavotella

It's still so early. From what I can tell right now, the most surprising developments have been with Featherston and Green. Taylor's getting the job done everywhere and looks like he should be the starter. Green really hasn't played much at all so far.

We'll get a much better read in about 3 weeks.

Someone said he was an Eckstein with more power.    That does not sku.

I read this at first as "someone said he has Eckstein power." Ouch.

Anyhow, maybe Green goes to the minors. The Angels could carry Rutledge, Giavotella, and Featherston on the major league roster until Hamilton is back. It just means no Efren. Boohoo.

It's still so early. From what I can tell right now, the most surprising developments have been with Featherston and Green. Taylor's getting the job done everywhere and looks like he should be the starter. Green really hasn't played much at all so far.

We'll get a much better read in about 3 weeks.

I agree that we need to give it some time but Green has had 13 AB's with the other three at 8 AB's.

I think the best the Angels can hope for is one of the candidates begin to hot for average like they did in the minors and they respond to Alfredo's instruction on the infield.

So maybe something like .280/.320 and solid defense. If that happens then the Angels really aren't too much worse off from Kendrick with the exception of a couple doubles.

I'm not ignoring what these guys do this spring but I've always thought it was likely that 1) Featherston makes the team because they want to keep him...and 2) Rutledge wins the 2b job because they gave up a good young arm for him and there has always been some hesitation about Green...

We'll see....

Edited by DMVol

I think the best the Angels can hope for is one of the candidates begin to hot for average like they did in the minors and they respond to Alfredo's instruction on the infield.

So maybe something like .280/.320 and solid defense. If that happens then the Angels really aren't too much worse off from Kendrick with the exception of a couple doubles.

this^^^^ people act like we're trying to replace Chase Utley in his prime at 2B.

this^^^^ people act like we're trying to replace Chase Utley in his prime at 2B.

Exactly.  The Angels are replacing .290/.340 and 30 DB 10 HR's with good defense.  If they get .280/.320 25 DB 5 HR and solid defense, they aren't much worse off.  Plus the Angels can pick up the slack in other places.  I honestly feel Trout, Calhoun, Cron and Joyce will all be better than what they were/what they had last year. 

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

Exactly. The Angels are replacing .290/.340 and 30 DB 10 HR's with good defense. If they get .280/.320 25 DB 5 HR and solid defense, they aren't much worse off. Plus the Angels can pick up the slack in other places. I honestly feel Trout, Calhoun, Cron and Joyce will all be better than what they were/what they had last year.

Don't forget that this is 2015 when hits don't come easy. The major league average in 2014 was about .245. Mike Trout only hit .290.

I think .280 is a really good average, not just a "meh if he can just hit .280"

Johnny G man got the call in Aug of 2011 and did ok for his first sniff of the majors.  He played 46 of the teams last 50 games.  

In 2012, he play 14 games in may, 6 in june, and then from Aug to sept he played in 30 games. 

Then he's played in 25 games over the last 2 years at the major league level.  

I wouldn't exactly call that a legit shot.  This was also back when everyone thought Yost was an idiot for 4 years before he became a genius last year. 

I don't now what any of this means, but I feel like every one of those guys vying for the 2b base job has the minor league cred and is still young enough to have a productive major league career.  So to have one of them end up being more than a stop gap is reasonable given the chance to play everyday for at least half a season. 

Featherston stays because he's a Rule 5 player........

Grant Green still has options so he could be odd man out -- very unfortunately because between what he did last year and this Spring (so far) -- he really deserves to stick on the 25 man roster.

Rutledge, I think, gets the early nod - but he could easily be out-played by Green (but I think the Halos are nervous about Green's D at second).

I know some of you like Johnny G's grit and what he brings to the game -- but, quite frankly, I hope he gets cut/ released this week -- not because I don't like him, but because I agree that's he offers something but he's not going to stick with the Halos.......he's better off being cut loose now and trying to catch on while there's still some ST time left than being left off the roster on cut down day at the end of the month when the teams have their 25 spots all taken.......otherwise, Johnny G seems targeted for SLC -- not such a bad thing for Halos depth but not great for Johnny G's career.

speaking of the second base battle.

we traded our solid 2B guy of the past 9 years cross town to the Dodgers.

Howie is likely going to play 150-155 games for the Blue this year - he's just solid in that respect.

so, we should pay attention to roster cut down day over at Camelback Park in Glendale.

The Dodgers have three second basemen in camp, all of which, arguably, are better than the guys we have battling for the starting job.

They have Darwin Barney who was the Cubs regular second baseman for about 3 to 4 seasons and won a gold glove in 2012.......not much at the plate, but I'll bet the pitchers love him and his glove out there.......and then Jason Turner who actually started a lot of games for the Dodgers last year, is very versatile and has some pop in his bat.......his D skills are average but probably equal to the guys we're looking at, maybe Featherston.

I' d take Barney in a heart beat over any of the guys we have and I'd take Turner over Rutledge.

Don't forget that this is 2015 when hits don't come easy. The major league average in 2014 was about .245. Mike Trout only hit .290.

I think .280 is a really good average, not just a "meh if he can just hit .280"

You're right in that context should be provided because this is a favorable pitching era that's begun the last few years.

Best case scenario is I think one of the options lives up to what they did in the minors and is as valuable as Aybar is from an offensive standpoint. Best case.

Worst and likely, not so friendly sounding.