• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Was an innocent man executed?

That is one of my biggest issues with the death penalty (along with how it's applied disproportionally to minorities)...you can never, ever take it back. And if the state can't give 100% assurance they aren't executing an innocent person, 100% of the time...than it shouldn't be applied.

I'd much rather have the worst of the worst living their lives in prison than realizing we have sanctioned the murder of someone who may be innocent.

That is why the thread is posed as a question.

I'm not a fan of jailhouse informants.  I find it disgusting and hypocritical that prosecutors use them consistently when they have every reason to lie.  In fact most of them are proven liars already.  It flies in the face of justice.

Regardless, even the inkling that this guy might not have done it should have ensured the death penalty wasn't applied.

I'm sure the guy was poor.

With the opinion of many people that executions are cruel.  The US should be able to banish people and take away their citizenships.  If they come back, then you shoot them.  Murder, one strike and you are out.  Rape, one strike and you are out.  Child molester, one strike and you are out.  All other major crimes, 3 strikes and you are out.  

We have a lot of countries that accept a lot of aid from us, that we can conditionally release to them.  Heck, some countries depending on your ancestry would probably accept them back also.  

The taxpayer would not have to spend tens of thousands of dollars on these people, and instead that money could be diverted to something that will make this country better.  And they get to spend their lives with their families someplace else.  

That is one of my biggest issues with the death penalty (along with how it's applied disproportionally to minorities)...you can never, ever take it back. And if the state can't give 100% assurance they aren't executing an innocent person, 100% of the time...than it shouldn't be applied.

I'd much rather have the worst of the worst living their lives in prison than realizing we have sanctioned the murder of someone who may be innocent.

Agreed.

I used to be all for the Death Penalty before I realized how shady and/or fallible cops, prosecutors and jury members can be. 

Obviously its controversial, and the possibility innocent people are put to death is sickening.

That said, there are people out there who need to go. I understand and respect anyones opinion on the matter, and im very biased. But ive walked among the evil so to speak, and i know theres thousands and thousands of people out there with zero redeeming qualities, whos drive is only to victimize others, and they will never change.

Certain things i can 'understand'. Battered wife goes crazy kills husband, gangsters killing each other etc. Its not right, but you can see how the moment caught up with someone who made a very bad choice.

The ones i cant pardon are the stranger killings. Abducted child, graveyard shift 7-11 clerk, stranger rape etc. The punishment should fit the crime.

Obviously its controversial, and the possibility innocent people are put to death is sickening.

That said, there are people out there who need to go. I understand and respect anyones opinion on the matter, and im very biased. But ive walked among the evil so to speak, and i know theres thousands and thousands of people out there with zero redeeming qualities, whos drive is only to victimize others, and they will never change.

Certain things i can 'understand'. Battered wife goes crazy kills husband, gangsters killing each other etc. Its not right, but you can see how the moment caught up with someone who made a very bad choice.

The ones i cant pardon are the stranger killings. Abducted child, graveyard shift 7-11 clerk, stranger rape etc. The punishment should fit the crime.

If you could show me that the justice system was balanced fairly and not weighted toward the rich and powerful I might agree.  There are people who should go but damn, some people who should go don't just because they have a pricey lawyer.  It isn't just.

http://news.yahoo.com/dna-evidence-clears-man-of-rape-charges-after-2-decades-in-prison-171057753.html

20 years for a rape he didn't commit.

the system is so broken.  Police and prosecutors are not your friends people.  I'm teaching both my boys one word.  If the police pull you in for questioning say "lawyer".

So if was more balanced, and more rich people were executed it would sit better with you? And im not arguing, i respect your stand, but is that your main issue with it?

Theres a counter argument that gets ignored by the media and public. Whereas its typical in more affluent areas for a murderer, or otherwise violent criminal to get the full bore of punishment, its the opposite in areas more accustomed to violence.

Theres a whole generation of mass murderers who did far less time than anyone would believe simply because the victims were gangsters. The 'triple og's' so to speak walking around where i grew up all have a ton of dirt on their hands...most were released from cya when they hit 25.....

Not uncommon at all to meet guys on probation for murder....probation....as in they just drove the car

I'm not talking about how much time somebody gets.  I'm fine with life in prison, no parole for anyone who premediately murdered, any rapist and anyone who molests kids.

I am talking about the one punishment you cannot take back.  It has been proven that eye-witness testimony and even confessions can be flawed.