• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

RIP Alex Johnson

R.I.P. Alex 

He was sometimes very misunderstood.   Yes, he could be aggravating.   But he was also known for performing random acts of kindness to strangers. 

I remember being at one of the 4 games against the ChiSox to close the 1970 season.

Some lunk head loudmouth behind me would remind Alex whenever he failed to get a hit.   "That's 0 for 1, Alex!"   "That's 0 for 2, Alex!"

Finally after Alex got his 2nd hit of the game, I turned around just enough and yelled backwards "That's 2-4, Alex!"    Never heard a word from the loudmouth after that.  

R.I.P. Alex 

He was sometimes very misunderstood.   Yes, he could be aggravating.   But he was also known for performing random acts of kindness to strangers. 

I remember being at one of the 4 games against the ChiSox to close the 1970 season.

Some lunk head loudmouth behind me would remind Alex whenever he failed to get a hit.   "That's 0 for 1, Alex!"   "That's 0 for 2, Alex!"

Finally after Alex got his 2nd hit of the game, I turned around just enough and yelled backwards "That's 2-4, Alex!"    Never heard a word from the loudmouth after that.  

Because the game was over?

The Alex Johnson case is an important one for MLB.

Often mis-understood and a very moody figure who would have fits of rage and would turn on teammates in the clubhouse, Alex Johnson was diagnosed as having a mental condition, perhaps bi-polar -- this was way back before, really, there was such a diagnosis.

the legendary Marvin Miller, head of the MLBPA, fought for Alex Johnson's cause and he may have been the first player to receive medical benefits and other assistance for his condition.

there's an old newspaper article floating around in the internet that I think I posted one time when we had a discussion of Angels players over the years with Pine Tar (the author of that great book "Once they were Angels")  -- even he was not aware of the efforts Marvin Miller made on behalf of Johnson.

Johnson was part of the clubhouse scene where Chico Ruiz pulled a gun in the clubhouse - it was a tough time to be a Halos fan.  Johnson was known to be moody, surly and short with people.

However, Johnson was said to be a player who never turned down a kid who wanted an autograph and showed kindness beyond the call.........

RIP -- the only batting champ in Halos history -- but GEEZ -- I gotta say the greatest Halo hitting season belonged to either Erstad's 240 hit season or Baylor's MVP season.