• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Hearing Loss

mp170.6

Anyone have experience with extreme hearing loss?

My elderly aunt has been losing her hearing for some time, but something drastic has happened recently.  Her daughter asked me to go over last night after she wasn't answering the phone, which was 18 inches away.  She never heard it because the TV was on so loud.  

I could hear the TV running 25 feet in front of her house with all of the doors and windows tightly closed. 

So I tested her last night...I unlocked the front door and poked my head in where I could see her sitting on the couch.  I reached around and rang the doorbell, pounded on the door, and yelled her name continuously for a minute.  She didn't budge.  Once I got inside, my ears began to hurt after about five minutes, which was a first.  It was impossible to converse with her while the TV was running -- it completely drowned out her voice. 

I foresee this becoming a daily problem as her daughter lives in Wisconsin.  My aunt has a number of health problems and is unsteady on her feet, so it's alarming when she doesn't answer the phone or the front door. 

She already has hearing aids and goes to an audiologist.  She's also very stubborn and in denial about this.  Any practical advice would be most helpful.

Also, if you know of any tech gadgets that might help, please tell me about them. 

If these things exist and are reliable, I'd love to have a phone with audible and visual LED ringers that work via Bluetooth or Wifi.  Put them at different places around the house and have them ring/flash brightly when the phone rings.  Ordinary ringers are not loud enough, we need something like a smoke alarm, with the visual as a backup. 

I wonder if there's a device that will mute the TV when the phone rings?  That would be great too. 

The newest hearing aids have Bluetooth capabilities that let you pair them with a television and phone. That way the person can comfortably set their tv at a level they can hear in their ears without blowing the windows out. The phone will ring as well but I am not completely sure that one auto mutes the other. The Bluetooth receiver is a large clunky thing that either hangs off of a lanyard on you neck or you put it close to yourself on a coffee or end table.

The technology is well behind everything else Bluetooth on the market and is supposed to eventually be encased in the hearing aid alone, their excuse now is that it takes too much battery power to use that way.

More than likely your aunt is lying to the audiologist as to what she can actually hear or has a mute setting and runs it that mode because she can't get a comfortable setting with whoever is doing the adjustments. My Father just got hearing aids and comments he doesn't like wearing them at home because it floods his senses with every little sounds that is pleasantly muted without them. I have to agree with him on that, the world is a noisy place.

Edited by notti

Just as a side note, most hearing centers are a rip off and charge $5K or more for a pair of $1,200 earing aids claiming they offer free service for tuning the hearing aids. If she is going to look into Bluetooth hearing aids have her, or you, shop around for a better deal. Believe or not Costco sells them at a huge discount and offer audiology services as well.

mp -

If this is a sudden and extreme change in hearing, there may be something else going on and you might want to have her checked out. My wife found out she had about 50% hearing in one ear. They immediately suggested we go to an ENT to make sure there wasn't a neurological issue. Turns out she had always been 50% deaf in that ear, she just didn't know any better. But the doctor was very clear to note that any sudden/drastic change in hearing should always be checked out.

mp -

If this is a sudden and extreme change in hearing, there may be something else going on and you might want to have her checked out. My wife found out she had about 50% hearing in one ear. They immediately suggested we go to an ENT to make sure there wasn't a neurological issue. Turns out she had always been 50% deaf in that ear, she just didn't know any better. But the doctor was very clear to note that any sudden/drastic change in hearing should always be checked out.

This must explain why she puts up with your ramblings.

:)

Yeah, she raised a fit about getting hearing aids for the first time a year ago.  I think it's entirely possible she is lying to the audiologist, especially since her daughter went back to Wisconsin. 

Knowing her personality and stubbornness, I don't think hearing aids will ever be the answer.  At this point I think it will have to be something that either automatically mutes the TV or prompts her to do it manually.  She keeps the TV on all day long. 

mp -

Thanks for telling me.  I will bring this up with her daughter today. 

Just to be sure.  But did you check the hearing aide, to make sure the batteries were good, and that it's turned up high enough?  

If it's sudden that this is happening, maybe the batteries are going dead, or she is turning the hearing aide down instead of up.  Or the hearing aide broke.

Just to be sure.  But did you check the hearing aide, to make sure the batteries were good, and that it's turned up high enough?  

If it's sudden that this is happening, maybe the batteries are going dead, or she is turning the hearing aide down instead of up.  Or the hearing aide broke.

I don't know.  She won't let me handle them and claims they work fine.  Anytime she can't hear something, it is the fault of that person or device.  Last night's incident she blamed on the phone ringer 18 inches away, already set to high.

Her hearing was nowhere near this bad before getting the hearing aids last May. 

Don't see how she could fool an audiologist b/c they would put her in that booth with headphones for a hearing test.

Could be something wrong with the aids. She has 2 or 1? What type - I guessing behind the ear. They have tubes that need to be replaced now and again. Batteries probably last at most 2 weeks.  If both these things are not working then she's sitting there with her ears plugged.

AARP has some discounts for hearing aids.

You or someone might have to haul her butt to her audiologist!

Just as a side note, most hearing centers are a rip off and charge $5K or more for a pair of $1,200 earing aids claiming they offer free service for tuning the hearing aids. If she is going to look into Bluetooth hearing aids have her, or you, shop around for a better deal. Believe or not Costco sells them at a huge discount and offer audiology services as well.

This is solid advice above.

3 years ago I spent $7200 in a custom pair of hearing aids for my mom who is now 91 and going strong. She never wears the damn things because they amplify everything.

Wow! I didn't know hearing aids cost so much

They don't but people believe the sales speech by hearing aid providers. Most are in and around $1,200-2,200 for very good hearing aids. The rest is bullshit that you pay for in "support" services.