• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels owner Arte Moreno says team 'nowhere' with negotiations for new Angel Stadium lease

AngelsWin.com

They should have come back to the table already. Tait should have had a plan before he was re-elected.

Stringing the Angels along doesn't seem like good business practice to me. Especially since the CoA was the one who made the deal and then backed out of it.

They agreed to lengthen the opt-out window by 3 years, which serves Arte's purpose of having more time to explore alternatives and gain leverage. The flip side of that coin is CoA gets more time, too.

I'll say it again.

The current venue and location in Anaheim is the site that makes the most sense on many levels -- fan base, transportation links (including the new Anaheim transportation center) etc.

But it's not the ONLY option and the City of Anaheim is 'negotiating' with the Halos/Arte as if it is.........that's a mistake in dealing with Arte.

And the City's conduct in extending a city approved offer (4 to 1, Tait opposed) only to yank it off the table after the Angels indicated they would accept it is reprehensible.

as for a Lobbyist involved in the advocating for the City/ Angels proposed approved by the city?  Reminds me of the old Claude Rains line in the movie Casablanca (ok, youngsters, the one with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, look it up on Google) -- the Rains law enforcement officer character (state police) sees the card table and exclaims "Gambling going on here, I'm SHOCKED, Just SHOCKED" whereupon another person in the scene hands him something saying 'your winnings, sir."

I hope the City of Anaheim and the Angels get this done. The Angels franchise, history, tax generation (direct and indirect) and plain public relations value is vital to the City of Anaheim and the entire Orange County/ LA region extending out to the Inland Empire where there's a real battle for fan loyalty between the Dodgers and the Angels going on.......a few years ago I would have sworn the Angels were winning that battle, but the Dodgers with Kershaw are battling back hard........

The Angels staying right where they are with a new ball park being built right on the property makes the most sense -- I think there's enough room to accommodate that -- parking would be tight while the new ballpark is being built but it's possible........and giving the Arte an incentive to develop the property around the park?  why not?  The City (when it had a redevelopment agency -- which have all pretty much been eliminated now) had several tries at it and couldn't the get the "Golden Triangle" area or whatever they called it, developed.  Empty lots still exist all around the area although some condos have been built (but apparently sitting empty/ unsold -- maybe sales have picked up lately).........

As for Disney buying the ballpark land and turning it into off-site parking??  I guess that could be done but now that it costs $99 for a DAY FEE to Disneyland, I gotta believe the parking needs may not be as great for a while.......I mean $99 per plus a $15 parking fee -- for a family of four that's a $411 day not including lodging and another $150 for food and drink inside the park!!! OUCH.

So if Tustin somehow pulls off a miracle and gives Arte enough land to build a new stadium will Arte then want the surrounding land to develope?

With all of the homes they are building on the former Tustin marine base the traffic in Tustin is going to be ridiculous they don't have the space to handle a stadium full of traffic congestion,

Reminds me of the old Claude Rains line in the movie Casablanca (ok, youngsters, the one with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, look it up on Google)

Not to nitpick, but Ingrid Bergman was his co-star in Casablanca.  A few years later, Lauren Bacall would co-star with her future husband in several other movies. 

I'll say it again.

The current venue and location in Anaheim is the site that makes the most sense on many levels -- fan base, transportation links (including the new Anaheim transportation center) etc.

But it's not the ONLY option and the City of Anaheim is 'negotiating' with the Halos/Arte as if it is.........that's a mistake in dealing with Arte.

And the City's conduct in extending a city approved offer (4 to 1, Tait opposed) only to yank it off the table after the Angels indicated they would accept it is reprehensible.

as for a Lobbyist involved in the advocating for the City/ Angels proposed approved by the city?  Reminds me of the old Claude Rains line in the movie Casablanca (ok, youngsters, the one with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, look it up on Google) -- the Rains law enforcement officer character (state police) sees the card table and exclaims "Gambling going on here, I'm SHOCKED, Just SHOCKED" whereupon another person in the scene hands him something saying 'your winnings, sir."

I hope the City of Anaheim and the Angels get this done. The Angels franchise, history, tax generation (direct and indirect) and plain public relations value is vital to the City of Anaheim and the entire Orange County/ LA region extending out to the Inland Empire where there's a real battle for fan loyalty between the Dodgers and the Angels going on.......a few years ago I would have sworn the Angels were winning that battle, but the Dodgers with Kershaw are battling back hard........

The Angels staying right where they are with a new ball park being built right on the property makes the most sense -- I think there's enough room to accommodate that -- parking would be tight while the new ballpark is being built but it's possible........and giving the Arte an incentive to develop the property around the park?  why not?  The City (when it had a redevelopment agency -- which have all pretty much been eliminated now) had several tries at it and couldn't the get the "Golden Triangle" area or whatever they called it, developed.  Empty lots still exist all around the area although some condos have been built (but apparently sitting empty/ unsold -- maybe sales have picked up lately).........

As for Disney buying the ballpark land and turning it into off-site parking??  I guess that could be done but now that it costs $99 for a DAY FEE to Disneyland, I gotta believe the parking needs may not be as great for a while.......I mean $99 per plus a $15 parking fee -- for a family of four that's a $411 day not including lodging and another $150 for food and drink inside the park!!! OUCH.

Maybe Disney buys the ballpark land and puts a clinic on it to triage kids before they are allowed to enter the park. Weeding out all the kids with irresponsible parents who refuse to vaccinate.

Tustin does not work as nicely and easily as some are suggesting. They will stay put.

This is my thinking as well.

If a brand new facility is built, it will be on the land that is currently there. Unfortunately, that means parking will be a mess for a couple of years.

no topic is safe from the wrath of libs.

And you just had to comment about that. No safe topic, indeed.

By the way, the vaccination issue is NOT a liberal issue. Much of the anti-vaxxer crowd is from that conservative bastion known as Marin County.

It's a common sense issue. There is broad consensus about this.

Edited by Mark68

Its interesting what different things people want.  I like ease of ingress and egress.  Try to do better from the 5 fwy and taking the Orangewood exit.  Its fantastic, even on sold out days. And you know where to park, getting out and on your way is a breeze.

Getting out of a parking structure, when a game ends, blows.  You see more restaurants on the property as the upside to that.

You like that the team store in Minnesota is 3x as big as ours.  I'm not buying $300 jerseys, so its a nonstarter to me.

I would like a better video board.  With better replays.  And no commercials.  I don't care about the restaurant and shopping options.

To each his own.

I like arriving early and having someplace to have a drink that isn't out of a cooler in the parking lot.

The team store is just an example of how Minnesota had added value to their property that attracts shoppers in the mall area year round by not having a useless stretch of blacktop that generates no income. And the arrival and departure in Minnesota, on a sold out game with the Vikings playing three blocks away, was easier than Angels stadium.

The parking structure at Petco has never been a traffic clog on the games I've attended however some of the exit streets get over burdened. That has nothing to do with parking.  It is all about how you create traffic flow and honestly Angels stadium is still better than most venues. Good God, imagine if they were still playing in the Latrine.

As for the big screen, it will have commercials so that is some crazed pipe dream that it won't be used for that. Replays are governed b MLB rules so nothing is changing there.

Replays are governed b MLB rules so nothing is changing there.

The rules changed last year.  Anything is up for grabs.  I bash my head in wondering why I pay good money for tickets, only to get the worst view in So Cal.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/1/17/5317916/mlb-baseball-instant-replay-rules-video-board-stadium

Clubs will now have the right to show replays of all close plays on its ballpark scoreboard, regardless of whether the play is reviewed.

And you just had to comment about that. No safe topic, indeed.

By the way, the vaccination issue is NOT a liberal issue. Much of the anti-vaxxer crowd is from that conservative bastion known as Marin County.

It's a common sense issue. There is broad consensus about this.

yep, but only libs get so uppity about it they have to bring it up in a completely unrelated thread.

Someone please tell me that there is another city out there within 250 square miles of Anaheim that's willing to give Arte all of the land he needs to build a stadium that's surrounded by the land he wants to develop for a dollar per year for 66 years.

There may be one but it won't have land anybody would want to develop.

Someone please tell me that there is another city out there within 250 square miles of Anaheim that's willing to give Arte all of the land he needs to build a stadium that's surrounded by the land he wants to develop for a dollar per year for 66 years.

Perris?

Also, Anaheim isn't offering that anymore. It's kinda what Arte is upset about.

Edited by Jobu

Please, that was the city's offer.  It was taken back in bad faith.

Now, I'm guessing that isn't the deal he is looking at moving forward with wont be that but since Anaheim has come up with absolutely no deal it would be really hard to know, wouldn't it.