• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

A little help: top Angels games of all-time

Hey guys, need your help.

I am attempting to come up with the top Angels games of all time. Biggest, best, most memorable, most exciting. All that.

I can assume a few of them (game 6 of '02 WS has to be No. 1, right?), but wanted to throw it out for you guys.

Think not only about big postseason games, but big individual performances or other wild games.

Thanks in advance for your help.

A personal favorite of mine was Weaver vs Kershaw in 2011 at Dodger Stadium. June 26th to be exact. Both were on their game. Weaver went 7, gave up 1 run. Kershaw went 9. Vernon Wells hit a go ahead homer off Kershaw in the 9th. We then lost the game in the bottom of the 9th on a play at the plate. Bourjos cranked it from RF and beat the runner to the plate. Mathis covered and Dee Gordon apparently got the hand in. Obviously, not an Angels win, but still an amazing matchup of two of the game's best at the time. One week later in Anaheim, same matchup and Weaver out dueled Kershaw who ended up getting blown out. Great week of baseball there.

I don't remember what year it was, but I remember watching the Angels in Oakland and Washburn was absolutely dealing (as he usually did against the A's). I think it was either 1-1 or 0-0 until Salmon hit a home run down the left field line in the 9th or 10th. Probably my favorite game I've been in attendance at.

Coming from behind in the ninth to beat Texas and go one game up in the division, just five days after being down three, on the fifth last day of the 2004 season is one of the most criminally underrated games in Angels history. That game went a hell of a long way towards winning the divison for the first time in 18 years, it was huge. The rally in the eighth to beat Oakland on the day we won the division that year was amazingly cool too.

It's a random one that ended up meaning very little, but there was that game a few years back (2011 I think?) where the Dodgers rallied against us in the ninth and the tying run was literally a second or two from crossing the plate when Juan Rivera threw some peanut out at second to save us the win.

Also, really early in Torii Hunter's stint here (April 08), he robbed Richie Sexson of a home run in the ninth with two outs that would have cost us the game.

GA's 10 RBI game has already been mentioned but Vladdy had a 9 RBI game against the Red Sux in his first year here as well. That was an amazing one. So was that John Lackey start in Oakland in 2006 (I think?) where he gave up a leadoff double and then retired the next 27.

There can be only one.

I know. That was cruel.

Meh, that's but a flesh wound compared to October 12, 1986.

As far as games with positive outcomes go..... game four of the 02 divisional series .vs the Yankees. The 8 run 5th inning that included a Shawn Wooten homer but in typical Angels fashion began with back to back bunts.... that inning really typified the Angels.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Meh, that's but a flesh wound compared to October 12, 1986.

As far as games with positive outcomes go..... game four of the 02 divisional series .vs the Yankees. The 8 run 5th inning that included a Shawn Wooten homer but in typical Angels fashion began with back to back bunts.... that inning really typified the Angels.

This and that! Secondeded

Another single game performance that sticks out, October 1, 2004... Angels went into Oakland tied for first and had Colon facing Mulder.... Colon dominated that game for 7 innings and Alfredo Amezaga hit a grand slam off old friend Joe Blanton who had relieved Mulder..... The Halos went on to win the division by one game.

Edited by Inside Pitch

To add a recent game into the mix:  I think the June 7th game against the White Sox, where Trout hit the grand slam off of Chris Sale to tie the game (a game the Angels would go on to win) was pretty outstanding.  (Or, #Troutstanding if you prefer.) 

We also have a number of great games list in our 50 Greatest Moments series:  http://angelswin.com/greatest_moments.aspx

Like Oz said, Vladdy's 9 rbi game vs Boston June 2,2004 was great.  I was fortunate to be at that game (and GA's 10rbi game -thanks, Bruce!)

2 HRs,  2B, single and a Sac fly for Vlad.  

What made it even more amazing is that Boston's starter that game was future HOFer Pedro Martinez

The Kennedy 3 home run game against the Twins in the ALCS.

Since he also said memorable, regardless of result, here are some bad ones:

-1995 one game playoff against Seattle.

-Mo Vaughn taking a tumble in his first game in an Angels jersey ND out for the season.

-Playoff downers: The Doug Eddings call in 2005. Fuentes grooving a fastball to an ineffective ARod when it's bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, and 2 strikes in the count to tie the game against the Yankees in 2008.

-Unfortunately, the brilliant and last start of Nick Adenharts career.

A personal favorite of mine was Weaver vs Kershaw in 2011 at Dodger Stadium. June 26th to be exact. Both were on their game. Weaver went 7, gave up 1 run. Kershaw went 9. Vernon Wells hit a go ahead homer off Kershaw in the 9th. We then lost the game in the bottom of the 9th on a play at the plate. Bourjos cranked it from RF and beat the runner to the plate. Mathis covered and Dee Gordon apparently got the hand in. Obviously, not an Angels win, but still an amazing matchup of two of the game's best at the time. One week later in Anaheim, same matchup and Weaver out dueled Kershaw who ended up getting blown out. Great week of baseball there.

He was out. 

One of the worst ever was the A's (I think?) had a walk off on a botched throw from the catcher to the pitcher. (Krod?) I remember it wasn't Eckstein at SS because he would have backed it up.

It wasn't a botched throw it was a regular throw he just let it pop out of his glove, no backing up unless he was literally on the mound with KRod would have helped.