• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Thoroughbred Racing

Tomorrow's Haskell looks pretty interesting..

horse

Irish War Cry

Breeder Isabelle de Tomaso
Owner Isabelle de Tomaso
Trainer H. Graham Motion
Jockey Rajiv Maragh
Career Record 7-4-1-0
Download Past Performancespdf
jersey

Post Position

post position 1

Odds

5-2
Carries the flag of the home team having been bred right here in the Garden State by the daughter of the race's namesake.  The G2 Wood Memorial winner bounced back from a 10th-place Derby finish to run a solid second in the Belmont behind Tapwrit.  C...

horse

Battle of Midway

Breeder Thor-Bred Stables, LLC
Owner Don Alberto Stables and WinStar Farm LLC
Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer
Jockey Flavien Prat
Career Record 6-3-1-2
jersey

Post Position

post position 2

Odds

5-1
Still lightly-raced son of Smart Strike will be making career start number seven in the betfair.com Haskell.  Was on the pace and hung on well to be third in the Kentucky Derby and followed that up with a wire-to-wire score in the G3 Affirmed at Sant...

horse

Timeline

Breeder Alexander Groves Matz, LLC
Owner Woodford Racing, LLC
Trainer Chad Brown
Jockey Javier Castellano
Career Record 4-4-0-0
jersey

Post Position

post position 3

Odds

3-1
A perfect four-for-four and the only one of the perspective Haskell runners to have a start over the Monmouth Park dirt.  His connections are top-notch and while this son of Hard Spun has yet to tackle the big boys, he certainly looks to have all the...

horse

Practical Joke

Breeder Whispering Oaks
Owner Klaravich Stables, Inc. and William H. Lawrence
Trainer Chad Brown
Jockey Joel Rosario
Career Record 8-4-2-1
jersey

Post Position

post position 4

Odds

4-1
A four-time one-turn winner has never successfully conquered two bends but did run well enough to finish second in the Fountain of Youth and Blue Grass and 5th in the Kentucky Derby.  Hard to bet against anything trainer Chad Brown sends out these da...

horse

McCraken

Breeder Whitham Thoroughbreds, LLC
Owner Whitham Thoroughbreds LLC
Trainer Ian Wilkes
Jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr.
Career Record 7-5-0-1
jersey

Post Position

post position 5

Odds

9-2
The son of Ghostzapper was back to his winning ways last out in the G3 Matt Winn after his only two blemishes of his career in the Blue Grass and Kentucky Derby.  Another Haskell runner that wouldn't mind a fast pace upfront and he's shown a pretty e...

horse

Hence

Breeder Calumet Farm
Owner Calumet Farm
Trainer Steve Asmussen
Jockey Mike Smith
Career Record 9-3-1-1
jersey

Post Position

post position 6

Odds

12-1
Beautiful-looking son of Street Boss notched his third-career victory last out in the G3 Iowa Derby after finishing 11th in the Derby and 9th in the Preakness.  He's developed into a deep closer but might have a fast pace to run into.  Hall of Fame t...

horse

Girvin

Breeder Bob Austin & John Witte
Owner Brad Grady
Trainer Joe Sharp
Jockey Mike Smith
Career Record 6-3-2-0
jersey

Post Position

post position 7

Odds

6-1
Only finish worse than second came in the Kentucky Derby where he was roughed at the start.  Bounced back nicely to just miss in the G3 Ohio Derby.  A multiple Grade 2 winner over the winter in New Orleans.  He'll be hoping for some speed up front to...

Been sick all day, so missed the Haskel.  Just saw the race, and man what a race.  @Lou I thought that was weird too that Smith wasn't on Girvin.  Anyways, I have a soft spot for Practical Joke, so he would have been my choice.  I'm just glad he was game in the loss.  I'm also glad Irish War Cry came in fourth.  Fuck that horse.

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Been sick all day, so missed the Haskel.  Just saw the race, and man what a race.  @Lou I thought that was weird too that Smith wasn't on Girvin.  Anyways, I have a soft spot for Practical Joke, so he would have been my choice.  I'm just glad he was game in the loss.  I'm also glad Irish War Cry came in fourth.  Fuck that horse.

Hit the Win and $5 Exacta and split a trifecta. It was a good day.

re: Smith, they said on the telecast that the trainer decided to take Smith off and go with a rider that could/would commit to the horse long term. 

Edited by Lou

McCraken is my boy, so had I been able to be home today I would have had the exacta but would have been heavier on the McCraken side of it. Might have had the tri too.

I wonder if McCraken saw the horses coming outside, because he sure looked like he thought he had it won.

To be honest, when Girvin fell way off the lead I thought he wouldn't have enough to come back and get the win. Watching it live, I thought he lost at the wire,too. 

About 10 minutes before post, my buddy's gf said to us: "how can 2 intelligent men actually bet money on a horse?"

• 4 weeks later...

Travers day anyone???

Boy...the big race looks like a good betting race! I wonder who will emerge as the post time favorite?

Travers_Stakes_2017_Post_Positions_and_O

Travers-WG-Member.pdf

^^^^^TRY THIS LINK^^^^^^

or this one

https://member.xb-online.com/files/images/Travers-WG-Member.pdf

Travers Stakes

$1,250,000 – Grade 1

Post Time: 5:44 PM ET

3YO

1 1/4 Miles Dirt

Dirt Makes Difference for Good Samaritan

Guest Handicapper: Aaron Vercruysse, XBTV

@LongshotAaronV

Stats & Trends

Last 5 Travers Winners

Year Horse Jockey

2016 Arrogate M. Smith

2015 Keen Ice J. Castellano

2014 V.E. Day J. Castellano

2013 Will Take Charge L. Saez

2012 Alpha (DH) R. Dominguez

2012 Golden Ticket (DH) D. Cohen

Know This

Money’s on Javy: Javier Castellano has won the Travers an unprecedented five times in just nine tries. His Win ROI in the race is a spectacular $11.17.

A ‘Dandy of a Prep: Since 1992, 13-of-26 Travers winners prepped in Saratoga’s Jim Dandy Stakes. On the other hand, just five horses in that span prepped in the Haskell. Last year’s winner, Arrogate, was making his stakes debut in the Travers.

Recency is Key: Since 1960, 48-of-58 Travers winners had finished 1st (35 times) or 2nd (13 times) in their final prep. Just 10 horses had finished 3rd (7 times) or 4th (3 times). No horse in that span won the Travers after finishing worse than 4th in its final prep.

Not a ‘Graveyard of Favorites’: Since 1901, favorites have won 49-of-112 editions of the Travers, a respectable 43.75% win clip. Favorites have lost four straight editions of the Travers, however, including Exaggerator’s 11th place finish last year.

Analysis: Saratoga is known as the ‘Graveyard of Favorites,’ which strikes me as ironic considering I’m not sure anyone knows who will be favored in the 148th Travers Stakes. Many of these three-year-olds have taken turns beating each other and that is fact considering for the first time since the 1920’s we had a different top three across the wire in each Triple Crown race. Yet, here we are with the Derby, Preakness and Belmont winners all lining up to face off at the classic distance of 1 ¼-miles, making for a fantastic edition of the Summertime "Derby."

Main Contenders: Contention runs deep here with seven of the 12 starters coming off wins from all over the country. Let’s start our tour of the field with horses that’ve had local success. Just three of these entrants have wins at Saratoga, which is very important at this true ‘horse for course’ track in upstate New York. GOOD SAMARITAN was awesome in his dirt debut last out in the Grade 2 Jim Dandy as he rolled past Kentucky Derby winner, ALWAYS DREAMING, and Preakness winner, CLOUD COMPUTING. He’s bred to run all day and that Jim Dandy win came here at the Spa, meaning he checks many boxes. He has a long stride and while he doesn’t have push-button acceleration, he’s tough to stop once he gets rolling. That’s probably why he took to the dirt so well. Additionally, Haskell winner, GIRVIN, Ohio Derby and Indiana Derby winner, IRAP, Los Alamitos Derby winner, WEST COAST, and of course the Belmont Stakes winner, TAPWRIT (has not run since), all have credentials to factor and even win if they bring their best.

Value Plays: Think back a year. Do you remember a maiden winner from Gulfstream Park shipping up to face (and beat) much more heralded horses in the Grade 2 Saratoga Special? That horse was GUNNEVERA, who is back to Saratoga and may be ready to take a step forward off a win in a minor stakes race at Gulfstream last out. He fired a bullet workout since that race and his jockey that day, Edgard Zayas, makes the trip up from Florida to ride him.

$50 Wagering Strategy:

• $2 Exacta Box: GOOD SAMARITAN, MCCRAKEN, IRAP, GUNNEVERA, FAYEQ ($40)

• $10 Win: GUNNEVERA ($10)

Travers

Stakes

Picks

1. GOOD SAMARITAN 2. GUNNEVERA

3. MCCRAKEN 4. IRAP

Longshot:  Eleven of the twelve runners in the Travers this year have graded stakes form.  The lone outlier is #12 FAYEQ (30/1) -- but don't count the Kiaran McLaughlin trainee out.  He looks like a horse getting good at the right time to try this spot.  He started sprinting, but did not really begin to blossom until trying a route distance for the first time.  FAYEQ beat older two back in a mile and a sixteenth maiden special weight going a mile and a sixteenth at Belmont, then beat older again in a one-other-than at Saratoga.  That latter win showed he could handle the footing at the Spa.  On pedigree, FAYEQ has a chance to stretch out to the Classic distance: he is by Malibu Moon (an A. P. Indy son who produced 2013 Kentucky Derby winner Orb), out of Lotta Kim (dam of 2009 Preakness winner Rachel Alexandra).  And, though he stands to be relatively forward, he can rate a few lengths off.  He stands to get the jump on the closers -- and though holding off those seasoned, classy horses will not be easy, FAYEQ will be the right price to bet his pedigree potential and his trainer's competence.

I'm leaning McCraken-Girvin-Good Samaritan- and the above mentioned Fayeq-

4 horse exacta and tri boxes...

The ML lines won't hold, but post time odds should still be too mouth-watering to resist.

Would be a heck of a way to make up for a brutal 3yo season.