• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Thoroughbred Racing

6 hours ago, Adam said:

I don't think anyone knew he was that good but for months on the Steve Byk show they've alluded to Arrogate being the best horse in the barn. Guess they were right. Was not contested on lead tho

I disagree. I've watched a few times and Laoban and AF were right there until the 1/4 pole. You are right with the fact that he came out of the rail chute, but I don't think that would have made much difference the way he exploded down the lane.

He ran off down the stretch. The closers were too far back to have any impact at all. It was impressive, but...something feels funny about the whole damn thing.

Hope I'm wrong.

Lets see another.

another thing that was noticeable about that race...check out how dirt caked every horse behind the front 3 were down the lane...I've seen a lot of horse racing...but I have never seen a field as dirty and plastered and caked as those horses were... unless it was an off track. And we know this wasn't...so whats up with that?

I'm not saying Arrogate didn't run arguably the race of the decade. He was amazing, but I think he had it all his own way for the most part.

Stablemate American Freedom breaks and immediately pulls a Chrome and goes to the middle of the track to protect Arrogate from the outside speed. While there was a sprint to the turn, Arrogate quickly grabbed the lead on the turn and at no point did anyone challenge him. Mike Smith did an awesome job of pushing his horse a split second before anyone else on the far turn, preventing another horse from dueling him. 

Not sure what they're going to do with him. They may train him up to the BCC. I hope they don't, because I want to see him again before I have to handicap the Classic. 

The late pick 4 on BC Saturday is set up to include

Mile - Tepin

Juvenille - (Probably spread)

Turf - Flintshire 

Classic - Chrome and Arrogate?

Could be chalky. I'll probably try to beat Tepin, spread in the Juvenille, and single in either the Turf or Classic.

Here's the article from the above picture. It is long, but it gives a lot of insight into what goes into breeding and developing a racehorse, especially one like AP Indian who didn't really figure things out until his 6 YO season. Anyhow I found it interesting.

http://www.paulickreport.com/features/breeders-cup-presents-connections/masson-homebred-a-p-indian-does-things-his-own-way/

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Lol @ Frosted

what an overrated pussy of a colt

Graveyard of Champions.  LOL

Also, FYI, I'm looking at the derby picks and am going to get in on the derby futures when it comes out I think in October.  Going to try and get in on it on the first day with my guy in Vegas, so I hopefully get great odds.

What do you guys think of Three Rules?  He's looking fantastic right now.  Big issue I have with him, is I'm not familiar with the trainer or the barn.  Of course I really just look at west coast connections, so Florida I'm not at all familiar with. 

But 4 races, 4 wins.  Of course furthest he has gone is 7 furlongs.  But they are inching him up.  Hopefully next race is a miler.  But he's been crushing his competition so far.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=9731502&registry=T&rbt=TB

By Mary Schweitzer

Labor Day weekend provided a plethora of graded stakes races around the country, with 15 of them run coast-to-coast from Friday through Monday.

During that four-day period, Tapit once again demonstrated why he is the leading sire in North America and why he remains securely on top of the American Graded Stakes Standings sire list. Over the long weekend, four of Tapit's offspring won graded stakes. One of those races, the Grade 1 Spinaway at Saratoga, actually provided Tapit with two graded stakes winners – his 2-year-old daughters, Pretty City Dancer and Sweet Loretta, finished in a dead-heat for first.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

okay, totally ignorant question here . . . 

how does a horse qualify for the kentucky derby and the other two triple crown races?

Ist...be born in a year that makes him or her a 3 year old. (all horses have the same birthday..Jan 1)

2nd ...win races. There is a points system and certain big races (stakes) carry more points towards qualifying. It used to be by earnings, but that changed a few years ago.

3rd..if you cant win lots of high grade races, have owners with deep pockets that really believe in you and can afford a sizeable supplemental fee. If horses that qualify can't get there for whatever reason, injury, illness, etc...it opens up for horses that might not have earned as many points, or may have blossomed later in the year...but entering a horse like that costs money.

There are something like 20 prep races now beginning in their 2 yo seasons with points ranging from 10-100 points. You get points for finishing 4th-1st. Usually the cutoff is 20-26 points. So if you win a 50 or 100 point race you're a lock provided you paid the nomination fee 

51 minutes ago, Adam said:

Also to add.  2016, 32 points got into the derby.  2015, 30 points got in.  With horses dropping out, usually lower points get in, I think 2015 was 22 points. 

FYI, looking at the Santa Anita calendar.  October 1st, opening weekend, could be one heck of a card. 

Frontrunner Stakes (Grade I) - Klimt?

Awesome Again Stakes (Grade I) - Arrogate/Frosted?  (Hear that Chrome won't run till the Classic)

Rodeo Drive Stakes (Grade I) - Flilntshire?

Zenyatta Stakes (Grade I) - Beholder, Could we dream that Songbird comes in here?

Chandelier Stakes (Grade I) - American Cleopatra?  (Sister to American Pharoah), Union Strike?

Unzip Me Stakes

Frontrunner was the point earner last season for the Derby, so it's a very early look at the race.

Edited by gotbeer

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:40 PM, gotbeer said:

Also to add.  2016, 32 points got into the derby.  2015, 30 points got in.  With horses dropping out, usually lower points get in, I think 2015 was 22 points. 

FYI, looking at the Santa Anita calendar.  October 1st, opening weekend, could be one heck of a card. 

Frontrunner Stakes (Grade I) - Klimt?

Awesome Again Stakes (Grade I) - Arrogate/Frosted?  (Hear that Chrome won't run till the Classic)

Rodeo Drive Stakes (Grade I) - Flilntshire?

Zenyatta Stakes (Grade I) - Beholder, Could we dream that Songbird comes in here?

Chandelier Stakes (Grade I) - American Cleopatra?  (Sister to American Pharoah), Union Strike?

Unzip Me Stakes

Frontrunner was the point earner last season for the Derby, so it's a very early look at the race.

Looks like a chalk fest.

Would be fun to stake out a spot in the paddock and see all these horses up close.