• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Thoroughbred Racing

Beholder, Stellar Wind, Taris Square Off in Vanity

June 2, 2016 | By Dustin Fabian

Race of the weekend? Try race of the meet. Or race of the year! Santa Anita’s Grade 1, $400,000 Vanity Mile has the makings of a very serious showdown…and it isn’t even Triple Crown season! Talk about a treat for handicappers and racing fans. You can watch and wager on the Vanity as Race 7 at Santa Anita on Saturday, June 4. Post time is 8PM ET.

Here’s a quick rundown of the field.

Beholder
At this point, Beholder’s accomplishments read more like a something out of a video game than they do a resume. Two-time Breeders’ Cup winner. Nine-time Grade 1 winner. 14-time stakes winner. Three-time Eclipse Award Champion. Beat the boys in the Pacific Classic. Second in the Kentucky Oaks. Earner of $4.4 million. Undefeated in California since January 2013. She’s that good. And with Hall of Famers Richard Mandella (trainer) and Gary Stevens (jockey) in her corner, she might just be untouchable. This race begins and ends with her, but at six-years-old, is she just a bit vulnerable against this superstar field?

Taris
The question for Taris has never been ‘how fast,’ but instead, ‘how far’? An absolute monster around one-turn, Taris enters a bit of uncharted territory this time around. After all, she’s 7-for-10 in one-turn races and 1-for-3 going two turns. Granted, she won the Grade 2 La Canada Stakes here in January going 1 1/16-miles, so she’s effective carrying her speed…she just may be slightly better going shorter. But regardless of what her best trip is, the Taris we saw demolishing the field last out in the Grade 1 Humana Distaff at Churchill Downs on Derby Day makes her a huge contender here. She can’t be overlooked.

Stellar Wind
While she’s the most inexperienced runner in the field, she’s also one of the best. A winner in 5-of-8 starts, she capped her 2015 campaign with a gritty runner-up performance in the Grade 1 Breeders’ Cup Distaff, and her backers that day still argue she should’ve been placed first after a stewards’ inquiry into the stretch run. Regardless, Stellar Wind was rewarded with the Eclipse Award as Champion Three-Year-Old Filly on the heels of a campaign that also saw her hit the wire first in the Grade 1 Santa Anita Oaks, Grade 2 Summertime Oaks and Grade Santa Ysabel Stakes…all at Santa Anita.

The Others
Can anyone spring a major upset and win this? Frankly, probably not. Lost Bus won a Grade 2 stakes race here at odds of 64/1 in January, and while you can’t discount her 4-for-5 record at Santa Anita, she’s never been effective running this far. Finest City is in the same boat. She was a 9/1 surprise in the Grade 2 Great Lady M Stakes at Los Alamitos last out, but she’s never raced beyond 7-furlongs and is winless at Santa Anita. AlL Star Bub is winless in stakes races and the same is true for Divina Comedia.

Waiting for Sharp Azteca to race again...they say Monmouth. Pegesus and Haskell.

They are really taking it easy with this horse. Breeders Cup bound if all goes well?

sharp-azteca-with-edgard-zayas-wins-the-

Pedigree |  Siblings |  Progeny

Terlingua was the son of Secrateriat..

Exacta paid 4/5. $1.80 for $1.

Belmont Week! Going to be interesting to see how this race is bet. I could see Exaggerator anywhere between 3/5 and 8/5 and Stradivari between 9/5 and 4-1. I want no part of Exaggerator. He got perfect set-ups in his last three races. Off tracks and blazing paces. He's not going to get any pace in this race. He is the horse to beat but 12F is no joke and he will have to change tactics and be a lot closer to the pace. That is not a comforting scenario at a short price. 

At this point my order of preference is:

Stradivari - Destin - Exaggerator - Governor Malibu - Suddenbreakingnews. Maybe Smith will ride him like Z

Belmont is a tough call (always) I think I'll probably look hard at the undercard and use some of my Derby Day money that's still sitting in my xpressbet account....It's usually a great betting day, but I'm not going to key my betting around the big race.

@Tank

Here's one for you buddy...the most amazing Belmont, by the most amazing horse ever..

Every 1/4 mile was faster than the last.