• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Thoroughbred Racing

As I mentioned to Soto, I stay away from my online accounts because I usually blow it all on overseas racing.

This was just a weird weekend. I've got a 7-week old baby and didn't want to leave the wife with two kids all day. 

I'll be back at Santa Anita next year. 

I had mentioned it before, but it is a pretty big disadvantage getting all of my bets in at 8am and watching the races from home. I would have made a few adjustments based on odds and how the track was playing. I've got two young kids at home and didn't want to saddle the wife with that. I made the comment to my brother at about 3 minutes to post that Mike Smith would probably be very aggressive with Effinex - that there was still $900K up for grabs for 2nd place. Soto was smart to have some money to that horse.

I think my biggest takeaway is that more than any other racing day/weekend of the year, the primary value in the BC is in underneath horses. Who's going to run 2nd-4th. I was close to having a monster day 3 different times but just missed. Investing a little more in verticals would have been wise.

Not enough. Man if Effinex had snapped off AP, I would have been making it rain at Tommy Burgers. Edited by SOTO

Sheesh....I'm sure there are some others stored away in our memory banks, too.

Horse racing has always been a magnate for the unsavory. Jockeys with drug and alcohol problems, and all types from owners to grooms with money problems, and the ease with which outcomes can be altered....it's sometimes amazing that it has remained as long as it has.

This Triple Crown run, as well as CC's amazing story last year, has done wonders for the visibility of the sport.

I hope there isn't something bad going to happen, like a cheating scandal or some such nonsense, to undo all of the good that's been done. 

There are a lot of people out there, with a lot of new money to spend, that could really be a shot in the arm to the sport as owners, breeders, and major players. The beauty of horse racing has been on display for a while now...it would be a real shame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In their defense, if the fix was in the odds wouldn't have been 110-1. Mahoning doesn't take a whole bunch of handle. That said, they may have been able to bet at fixed odds overseas.

Looks like simple incompetence. 

• 4 weeks later...

Santa Anita opening day tomorrow! Cap'n tonight.

Go to the track dude!  You have my numbers.

I'm playing hte handicapping challenge tomorrow.  I like a few odd choices.

Race 1.  1, 2, or 3.  I'm leaning towards the 3.  But the 1 is a possibility.  And the 2 fits perfect for Chantels return

Race 2.  5 Gamblers Wish.  Man as name goes, it's perfect for us degens.  But moving down in class is big.

Race 3.  9 Quickley's corner.  Drayden getting off a horse to get on this one.  Trained by Proctor.  This horse should be ready and at 8/1.  If you get an overlay, run. 

Race 4.  My buddy likes the 9 12

Race 5.  6 Weirdhaircut Seth.  Desourmoux/Hess combo is pretty good.

RAce 6.  10 Om looks good.  my buddy likes the 2 Perfectly Majestic as a Ls  Watch out for 8 Ike Walker.  Won the last 3.  Victor is on it.  20/1......Really?  This could be the monthmaker if it gets overlaid.

Race 7.  3 Cavorting.  Ortiz coming and this is the horse he is coming out for. 

Race 8. 2 marking.  Just because it's mark.  But also because Lezcno came out to ride him.  My buddy likes 5 El Kabir as a longshot.  4 Runhappy should win it.  But that BS of changing trainers after a BC win, and the slight layoff.  Signs are there for an upset.  So probably means he wins by 10 lengths.

Race 9.  Buddy likes 13 then the 2 as a Longshot.  I am leaning towards the 4.  Only horse moving down in class.  Japanese horse, so automatically is better than everyone.  A Deep Impact horse. 

For the handicap challenge, Win/Place.  Playing the following:

Race 2: 5 Gambers Wish 10/1

Race 3:  9 Quigley's corner 8/1

Race 5:  6 Wierdhaircut Seth 5/1

Race 6:  8 Ike Walker 20/1

Race 7: 3 Cavorting 5/2

I don't have much of a feel for the first three races.

I like Big Casanova quite a bit in the 4th if he stays at 8-1.

Looks like I'll be playing a win bet on him with some exactas and the late pick 4.

6: 9,10,11

7: 2, 3, 6, 7

8: 4

9: 11

I'll use Cavorting but I'm not a huge fan here. The track should be playing for speed per usual.

I like What A View a ton in the 9th. Huge pace edge and I ca pretty much guarantee the best ride ever from KD after the Del Mar debacle in this horse.

Good luck!