• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Thoroughbred Racing

So I guess the owner of runhappy fired that broad trainer yesterday. Damn. Gave the horse to his sister in law.

Onto the derby prep season.

I still can't believe the CA horses rolled in the Juvenile. Nyquist looked like a sprinter for sure. Shocked he won and shocked swipe ran on 2nd. I'm starting to wonder if the Beyer speed figures have any value at all at this point. I was never a huge speed fog guy but they definitely helped me toss horses.

I was never a huge speed fog guy but they definitely helped me toss horses.

That's what I usually use the speed figures for.  I usually look at the race rating, subtract 5-10 from it.  And toss any horse that has not come within in the last 10 races.  At least for the win.  

Got back to even (24 dollars up for the whole 2 days) in the classic...so it was fun but the profit didn't happen.

On TV here, as soon as the race was over, NBC in Fresno went right to a scheduled infomercial promptly at 3:00!!

Man was I pissed. Missed everything after the race itself.

It was like the Heidi game all over again.

A final observation on the classic...

After watching the replay...who the **** is that outrider with AP after the race?

The guy looks like his dog got run over and killed during the race or something.

Not even a smile the whole post race, trot, crowd adoration...maybe he had really painful hemorrhoids, because that's what it looks like.  

I had mentioned it before, but it is a pretty big disadvantage getting all of my bets in at 8am and watching the races from home. I would have made a few adjustments based on odds and how the track was playing. I've got two young kids at home and didn't want to saddle the wife with that. I made the comment to my brother at about 3 minutes to post that Mike Smith would probably be very aggressive with Effinex - that there was still $900K up for grabs for 2nd place. Soto was smart to have some money to that horse. 

I think my biggest takeaway is that more than any other racing day/weekend of the year, the primary value in the BC is in underneath horses. Who's going to run 2nd-4th. I was close to having a monster day 3 different times but just missed. Investing a little more in verticals would have been wise. 

<<<the primary value in the BC is in underneath horses. Who's going to run 2nd-4th>>>

Exactly...in my thinking this is almost always the case, but much more so in the BC.
You notice my bets were all ex and tri's.
The classic was a prime example...the $1 tri paid $161, the exacta 70+
I was playing all weekend to build up money for that one race.
Unfortunately I was digging into my pocket just to come out even for the BC..
Ha d a had a few hundred as planned, I would have been sitting with a few grand.
It was still great to see AP destroy that field and become a forever horse.

Also making early bets and being unable to adjust to the tote, scratches, eyeball
assessments, etc can seriously hurt a horseplayer.

My suggestion is this, if you cant trust yourself to stay within budget, you can open an expressbet account, and make cash deposits at RiteAid/CVS using the Greendot at the register option.
Then you can use your allotted money, and still change and cancel bets up until they leave the gate, sitting at your computer.

Edited by Homebrewer