• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels Open To Extensions With Street, Iannetta, Richards

Ohtaniland

make these extensions happen.........all good choices and solid players.

Street coming over really made a difference for us last year.

Ianetta is solid, when healthy.

Richards -- take a chance now while there's still some question about his ability to rebound -- well worth it -- Richards was headed for a break out, ALL STAR / ACE OF THE STAFF performance of a season last year when he went down.......if he picks up where he left off for a second year, well, suddenly it gets real expensive.

Yep. Pretty much this all over the place.

Meh, his ERA was good but his FIP was the worst of his career, he had his lowest K/9 rate, 2nd worst ERA+, and most HR allowed. He was fairly lucky that his ERA was that low. With that said, it looked like he was due for a bad 2014, but ended up having the best season of his career. I definitely shouldn't have said "terrible" though.

acknowledging that you've retracted, but keep in mind that while having those career worst numbers he still went 33/35 in save chances. add in the fact that the padres were the mlb's worst offense that year and we can assume that he didn't have a lot of 3 run leads to work with. the point being his job is to close games and he's done that with an amazing amount of success, the fact that he doesn't rely on the traditionally overpowering fastball of a closer, should lead one to feel pretty good about an extension. 

either three years or a two plus one with a club option.

While the shelf life of closers can be short and it's not uncommon for a closer's skills to deteriorate quickly - even after putting up good numbers (one example is Fieri -spelled wrong -- while he was never quite a top tier closer he put up good All-Star like numbers for close to two seasons and then his skills plummeted to where at the end of his Halos time, it seemed like he couldn't anyone out and shortly after being traded was designated for release) -- Street should be solid for up to two seasons and can always be used in a set up or pen depth role if he's moved out of the closer role.

Street really helped make the Halos a better team last year after he came over.

Huston Street's worst year in professional baseball was the time he posted a high 3's ERA, which is pretty average for most relievers.  That's happened twice in his 10-year career.  He owns a career 2.88 ERA.  That means on average, once every five years, he's only going to be average, the other four he'll be outstanding.  He doesn't rely on velocity as his fastball sits 89-92, but he's still meeting considerable success.  There's no reason why he won't continue to be really good through his age 35 season.  He's 31 right now.  

Realistically, he should still be good for another 4 years.  He also acts as his own agent, so he really gets to the core of what he wants and negotiates for it.  If it were me, I'd talk to him about a 3 year deal, 3/24. 

The question for Street then is, how many years to extend him?

He will be 32 to start the 2016 season.

3 years/$35-40 million?

that's way too much.

the top paid closers last year were:

papelbon -13

soriano-11

johnson-10

nathan-9

kimbrel-7

i'm betting something like 3 years in the 24-27 million range. 30 is top dollar and anything around 21 is a bargain. keep in mind that street represents himself, so he won't be having to pay a commission.

Huston Street's worst year in professional baseball was the time he posted a high 3's ERA, which is pretty average for most relievers.  That's happened twice in his 10-year career.  He owns a career 2.88 ERA.  That means on average, once every five years, he's only going to be average, the other four he'll be outstanding.  He doesn't rely on velocity as his fastball sits 89-92, but he's still meeting considerable success.  There's no reason why he won't continue to be really good through his age 35 season.  He's 31 right now.  

Realistically, he should still be good for another 4 years.  He also acts as his own agent, so he really gets to the core of what he wants and negotiates for it.  If it were me, I'd talk to him about a 3 year deal, 3/24. 

stepping on your toes scotty. sorry, i left the reply window open while we went out for dinner. in any case, i obviously agree with you.