• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

state of the union

I saw a snippet of his speech before he went on and part of it mentioned how things need to be fair. It was in the context of people who make more paying more but there was a bit in there about needing to be fair to people at the bottom. All I could think of is the growing number of people who don't pull their weight. I fully expect those people to continue getting handouts, the top 1% or whatever keep doing their thing while the middle class gets the shaft.

So the 529 would be taxed like capital gains at withdraw time. I don't have a problem with it.

I believe the plan was to tax it like ordinary income, not capital gains. Which begs the question, why even ****ing have a 529? And if Obama cares so much about the middle class, why would he want to take away a savings tool that is overwhelmingly utilized by the middle class?

It's wealth redistribution at its worst.

Edited by wopphil

I saw a snippet of his speech before he went on and part of it mentioned how things need to be fair. It was in the context of people who make more paying more but there was a bit in there about needing to be fair to people at the bottom. All I could think of is the growing number of people who don't pull their weight. I fully expect those people to continue getting handouts, the top 1% or whatever keep doing their thing while the middle class gets the shaft.

The liberal solution to everything is to just tax the highest earners more. For whatever reason there is this commonly held belief that they don't pay their fair share, despite the fact that they pay a greater percentage of their income than anyone else.

So the 529 would be taxed like capital gains at withdraw time. I don't have a problem with it.

Might as well just get rid of them because they are useless now.  We started ours for our boys under a certain understanding and that has now been obliterated.

Just another reason I shouldn't trust anything the government says.

Might as well just get rid of them because they are useless now.  We started ours for our boys under a certain understanding and that has now been obliterated.

Just another reason I shouldn't trust anything the government says.

Exactly my thoughts. If they do this with 529's I'm sure Roth IRAs and other type of investments that have tax benefits aren't far behind.

How much does community college cost outside of California?

Here, it is $46 per unit which is nothing over the course of a year (30 units).  Textbooks are not cheap, but you can always swap with friends or sell them afterwards.  The worst case scenario is about $3000 per year in tuition, books, and maybe even parking. 

Why do these people need subsidies again? 

Seeing as how most people who go to community college actually work for a living and have families and/or themselves to support while going to school, which takes up a good amount of time and energy itself, then yes subsidies are nice.

3000 dollars is a bit more than a cheeseburger.

Do people who go to universities not have those responsibilities?

How much does community college cost outside of California?

Here, it is $46 per unit which is nothing over the course of a year (30 units).  Textbooks are not cheap, but you can always swap with friends or sell them afterwards.  The worst case scenario is about $3000 per year in tuition, books, and maybe even parking. 

Why do these people need subsidies again?

No solutions offered on how to pay for it, either. We all know what that means from a (D).