• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Klaw: "Darin Erstad gets named on one ballot. Glad every voter takes his responsibility seriously."

NrM

Can we get off this. Everyone knows why Bonds didn't get in. You may not like the reasoning and I would even agree with you. However there is a logical argument why he didn't get in.

personally I want Pete Rose in. Hell I want shoeless Joe Jackson in. But there logic why they are not. So arguing that it doesn't make sense is a waste of time.

Yeah we all know why those guys didnt get in.  Because they didnt kiss ass all the time and they didnt make the baseball writers fall in love with them.  

You basically just said the hall of fame is a popularity contest which has nothing to do with actual baseball talent.

I still get a kick out of Andy Van Slyke on the greatest games segment about the 1992 NLCS game 7 on MLBN, when he mentions that Barriods basically flipped him the bird when he suggested that LF Barroids play more in and over towards CF when Francisco Cabrera was at the plate. 

Sure enough, the base hit was hit where if Barroids was playing where Van Slyke said to shade Cabrera, he probably would have thrown Bream out at the plate. 

Stay classy Barroids.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Yeah we all know why those guys didnt get in.  Because they didnt kiss ass all the time and they didnt make the baseball writers fall in love with them.  

You basically just said the hall of fame is a popularity contest which has nothing to do with actual baseball talent.

Barry Bonds sucked in the post season.  No way he deserves to be in the HOF.

writers like this really irritate me.

still hard to believe even guys like dimaggio, bench, and gehrig never got 100% of the vote.

Why? This guy makes total sense. Johnson and Pedro made it in easily. A guy like Biggio barely missed it last year. With a 10 player limit and an ever more crowded ballot every vote for guys like Biggio, Schilling, Raines, Mussina etc. could make the difference between getting in and not.

It would be one thing to not vote for them if it were a binary hire and you voted on everyone. But a system like this leads to strategic voting.

He wasn't arguing those guys aren't Hall of Famers just that other guys were too that needed his vote more.

We'd be seeing every remotely decent Yankees or Red Sox player make the hall. Guys like Trot Nixon and David Cone would be in easily.

It'd be just as much of a popularity contest as the AS game. And aren't those the players that deserve to be in the HOF?

Why? This guy makes total sense. Johnson and Pedro made it in easily. A guy like Biggio barely missed it last year. With a 10 player limit and an ever more crowded ballot every vote for guys like Biggio, Schilling, Raines, Mussina etc. could make the difference between getting in and not.

It would be one thing to not vote for them if it were a binary hire and you voted on everyone. But a system like this leads to strategic voting.

He wasn't arguing those guys aren't Hall of Famers just that other guys were too that needed his vote more.

disagree

voting for the HOF shouldn't be driven by an agenda (getting Player A voted in).

each voter should vote for the 10 (or less) players they believe are most worthy

of being elected to the HOF.  

Bonds "allegedly" started using steroids after the 1998 season. Here's his "three careers":

Total (1986-07): .298/.444/.607, 164 fWAR (second highest ever)

Non-steroids (86-98): .290/.411/.556, 99.2 fWAR (9th highest through age 33, would be good for 20th highest ever if his total was taken out)

Steroids (99-07): .316/.505/.712, 64.8 fWAR (highest age 34 and over, would be good for 86th all-time)

So there you have it: Bonds was a surefire Hall of Famer before steroid use and actually had a Hall of Fame caliber career after (although not the 10 seasons to qualify).

I know the decision for people to not vote is not based upon his pre-steroid career, but the fact that he took steroids and lied about it. But I hate to say it, I just think it was the nature of game during the 90s and early 00s - and probably before and after. Why punish Bonds and the other big names when they were only doing what many/most other players were doing?

I know the decision for people to not vote is not based upon his pre-steroid career, but the fact that he took steroids and lied about it. But I hate to say it, I just think it was the nature of game during the 90s and early 00s - and probably before and after. Why punish Bonds and the other big names when they were only doing what many/most other players were doing?

because cheating is cheating

i have no problem punishing all cheaters.  breaking the rules will never be ok with me

because cheating is cheating

i have no problem punishing all cheaters. breaking the rules will never be ok with me

Wait, I thought it was only the "morality police writers" who were messing up the HOF by not voting for players based on steroids?

By the way, all the guys in the 50s-60s who used greenies would likely have used steroids if they had them.

Or do you think they only wanted to cut corners to get better if they could get a little better?

"Oh this thing that they arent testing for could make me a lot better? I don't want that!!"

disagree

voting for the HOF shouldn't be driven by an agenda (getting Player A voted in).

each voter should vote for the 10 (or less) players they believe are most worthy

of being elected to the HOF.

Disagree. I think the goal is to elect Hall of Famers to the Hall of Fame. At the end of the day it says nothing on the plaques about 1st ballot or what percentage of the vote getting in. IMO the Hall of Fame is worse for not having Tim Raines in there than for Pedro not getting 100% of the vote.

Anyway this is stupid because the Hall of Fame is binary, either you are in our you're out. The vote should be binary. Should the player be in or out and not is this person more of a Hall of Famer than someone else.

Wait, I thought it was only the "morality police writers" who were messing up the HOF by not voting for players based on steroids?

By the way, all the guys in the 50s-60s who used greenies would likely have used steroids if they had them.

Or do you think they only wanted to cut corners to get better if they could get a little better?

"Oh this thing that they arent testing for could make me a lot better? I don't want that!!"

i'm sorry, but i hate cheaters

it's the way i was brought up