• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Random Thoughts Thread

@Tank, that's a tough one.

On one hand, the immediate thought is to tell her that life isn't always easy and she should go back and make the best of it. Who knows, maybe having a new roommate that she doesn't know will create new friendships.

On the other, she's your daughter and it must break your heart to realize that she's so unhappy. If she's adamant about it, you really don't want to force her to go back. 

I know a few people who struggled their first year and seriously considered not going back for their sophomore year. It turned out that the 2nd year is one which their familiarity with the school (and all that entails) makes it a much more comfortable situation. Joining on-campus groups would put her in a setting with other students who share a common interest. 

Before making the final decision, I would suggest that you and her sit down and write out a plan of action if she were to stay home, including:

1. Where she will attend school (and the start date). When does the school begin/end taking transfer applications? (Agree that her app will be submitted the first day possible) Have her contact someone at the school to answer any questions she may have. Being "experienced", she's much more aware of things that are important to her collegiate success than she was a year ago. Go over the questions with her beforehand. 

2. What about taking online courses while she waits for the summer/fall session to begin? (In fact, I would make this mandatory)

3. Where will she work for the next few months? Make sure she realizes that this isn't optional. If she thinks college life is difficult, working for a living in as an unskilled employee will show her what she has to look forward to if she were to go that route. 

Those are just a few things I would go over with her before any decision is made. I'm sure you can come up with more. 

image.jpeg

As an employer, I look at a college degree as an indicator of someone who can show up for __ years straight and have some basic competency.  Aside from technical positions, the knowledge gained is mostly useless.  Although quite anecdotal, the best marketers I've met didn't go to school for it and many crappy ones have.

On the lower level positions I have, the college applicants win all day because I want someone who will follow instructions well and look to someone else for "the right path".

Most college graduates with the technical degrees make more than me, however....so there's that.

thank you, gentlemen. 

she got in the car with her friend and drove off without incident this morning. we've told her to call/text us as much as she needs to. we're planning to drive up there next weekend for the long weekend to spend time with her in her element. we'll probably try to go somewhere like santa rosa and find something to do (napa tends to be awfully crowded on the weekends).

as for the roommate situation, she's choosing not to have one as of this morning, but she's going to talk to the dean when arrives later today.

one of the things i emphasized with her last night is that it takes time to get to know people. acquaintances will turn into friends over time. having only been there one quarter, there's still a good deal of time for this to happen. she's a sweet enough kid, and over time others will discover that about her. i also suggested she try to get involved in a club or two. we'll see how that plays out.

I think I've bought my last Mercedes. My SLK roof started making a lot of wind noise, it looks like it is missaligning when closed. My previous SLK required some adjustment shims and I figured this one would be the same. 

Turns out they changed the roof from steel to a plastic composite and it had seperated from the steel frame. The car is only five years old so this has to be a manufacturing defect, more to the point an engineering failure. 

Mercedes won't warrant any work, it's past the mileage but more so they do not support parts for the repair. I guess they figured out their plastic roofs were going to fail so the replacement part is the glass roof on later models and the install is $6,500.

They want me to pay for their poor engineering mistakes. The same with my previous SLK, they put a cup holder over the navigation screen but never sealed either so any condensation drip and the nav screen fried costing $1,400 to repair. Their excuse was in Europe that was a change tray. Like that was going enough to absolve them from putting in a cup holder that caused electrical meltdowns. 

So this my last Benz. 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

and I disagree with the notion that college is merely for someone to get a piece of paper to hopefully get a career in something they can manage the rest of their life. 

this is true, almost everyone I know with a degree is in a different line of work or career than their degree.

On January 7, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Blarg said:

I think I've bought my last Mercedes. My SLK roof started making a lot of wind noise, it looks like it is missaligning when closed. My previous SLK required some adjustment shims and I figured this one would be the same. 

Turns out they changed the roof from steel to a plastic composite and it had seperated from the steel frame. The car is only five years old so this has to be a manufacturing defect, more to the point an engineering failure. 

Mercedes won't warrant any work, it's past the mileage but more so they do not support parts for the repair. I guess they figured out their plastic roofs were going to fail so the replacement part is the glass roof on later models and the install is $6,500.

They want me to pay for their poor engineering mistakes. The same with my previous SLK, they put a cup holder over the navigation screen but never sealed either so any condensation drip and the nav screen fried costing $1,400 to repair. Their excuse was in Europe that was a change tray. Like that was going enough to absolve them from putting in a cup holder that caused electrical meltdowns. 

So this my last Benz. 

Laura Diaz asked me to send along a message for you:

image.jpeg

On 1/7/2018 at 7:14 AM, Tank said:

got hit with a bombshell last night - junior doesn't want to return to college.

a lot of things were unloaded suddenly. last thursday she found out her roommate isn't returning, so that began a big email exchange with the girls' dean about a possible replacement. she gave junior a list but she didn't really know/like any of the girls on the list. finally picked one she thought she could tolerate and emailed her on friday, but as of late last night, no reply.

last night she just came unglued. turns out she's been homesick a ton but has masked it pretty well. she's not having near the social or spiritual experience she was anticipating and can't seem to figure out what to do next. we talked at length with her about stepping outside of what's comfortable and trying new things. said she's done that but everyone seems to have their unexpandable circle of friends, and she doesn't really have that. she's tried meeting new people but everyone is merely an acquaintance, and she hasn't figured out how to break through that. there were a lot of tears shed last night.

we also talked about possibly changing schools so she's closer to home, but the junior colleges have already started this quarter/semester, and the next closest adventist college doesn't offer her major.

on top of all that, she's sick, and that just makes everything worse for her. i don't think this would have been as difficult if her roommate was staying put.

any advice out there for her?

She can watch my kids and stay in our guest room. We'll feed her on Sunday evenings. 

4 hours ago, Adam said:

She can watch my kids and stay in our guest room. We'll feed her on Sunday evenings. 

if you have high speed internet that isn't spotty at all, she might take you up on it.

she'll also need plenty of mac 'n cheese to eat. can you deliver?

Just found out that one of my 9th graders lost his dad yesterday unexpectedly. 

He's such a nice kid, and had just asked me the day before to print out a poem that we had worked on in class because he wanted to share it with his dad, so I just completely lost it in the middle of class when my principal came in and told me the news. 

Puts my petty problems in perspective for sure. 

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I were jogging around RSM Lake last night, when we heard screeching and saw a Chevy Silverado skid and then flip upside-down onto the grass. My wife called 911 while I ran to the car. I was super worried there'd be people severely injured or dead.

I wasn't thinking straight and ran to the passenger-side door first, thinking it was the driver-side door (because the car was upside-down). I knocked on the window and yelled, "Is everyone alright?" but the door was locked. I then ran to the other side of the car, and the driver-side window had blown out. I yelled again, "Is everyone alright?" and the driver answered, saying he was fine. I asked if anyone else was in the car, and he said no. 

Hecrawled his way out of the car. Not a scratch on his body. He had obviously been drinking. He was being friendly and talkative and saying things like, "I made some poor choices tonight, and now I have to pay the consequences." A bunch of people had now gathered around because they heard the accident or saw it from a distance. When the police arrived, one of them got our information, and then we left. 

Crazy stuff. That guy could have easily been dead or hurt someone else. I'm not sure what he's doing right now, but I hope this is a wake-up call for him.

• 4 weeks later...

my honors 9th graders performed an abbreviated version of romeo and juliet for a a bunch of their peers today.   most of them were terrified to go up on stage, but a few figured out that acting was something they might be interested in pursuing when they heard genuine applause. they all pushed themselves, and i think they all had fun.  not a bad day. 

17 hours ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

my honors 9th graders performed an abbreviated version of romeo and juliet for a a bunch of their peers today.   most of them were terrified to go up on stage, but a few figured out that acting was something they might be interested in pursuing when they heard genuine applause. they all pushed themselves, and i think they all had fun.  not a bad day. 

That's great. If nothing else, it helps alleviate some of the fear that many people have of speaking in front of a crowd. For some it's a terrifying idea. 

26 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

In a couple of weeks the F1 race will be in Bahrain and Santana will be doing a show that weekend. I was thinking of going to see the old fart but the seats are anywhere from $160 to $400. Nevermind

You should bribe the ticket seller with some delicious lemon ricotta pancakes.