• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Random Thoughts Thread

I had jury duty yesterday...get put on a panel at the end of the day...boring shit...DUI...unfortunately whenever I'm on a panel, I tend to get stuck on the jury...but I have an out this time...the defense lawyer doesn't seem to like the fact I've been on multiple juries before, and as a foreman...including on a DUI/marijuana case...even calls me out on it...how I look like I don't want to be there! Yes...but first round of challenges go by and I'm still stuck in seat #2. 8 more people get called to the box...and now the prosecutor is fine...and there are a bunch of women who are pretending to be part of MADD to get off this thing...shit...

...and then...out of nowhere...please excuse juror #2...woohoo.....and yet now I'm offended that I wasn't good enough for that smarmy DUI lawyer with the ill fitting suit...who the hell is he to judge me? Dick.

I had the same experience on a jury selection for a murder case in El Monte. It was the third day of jury selection when I got called for chair 8. 

Had both sides grill me, the prosecutor asked if I was ever on a jury and I said I was the grand jury Foreman for a month in LA Superior. He seemed to like that, then asked about my occupation and I said I was an editor. Follow-up, you know that trials are nothing like on TV, that forensc evidence isn't like CSI? I responded that I worked on Law and Order for three seasons and yes, television compresses months of investigation and trial work down to a 46 minute time frame but also (and this made him frown but everyone else laughed and the judge stifled a grin) we never had a show carryover three episodes to pick a jury. 

Then the defense asked if I had a problem with tattoos or one of his client's Mohawk. I laughed, if I had a problem with that I could never had worked on music videos through the 80's-90's or with our staff that oft times has poor decision making in hairstyles or permanent reminders of a night of drinking and a dare. Follow-up do I know about El Monte? Yes, my wife worked in El Monte and we used to get dinner there on nights I  got out of work early enough. As a teacher she would have kids in her classes were in some way related to gangs, either parental involvement or a cousin, uncle brother or sister including kids that had one of the family shot or killed by a gang member or sent to jail. 

Two jurors later I was excused. Never found out what happened to the two on trial. Originally there were four but the older guys pleaded out and left these fools to take the murder rap alone. My guess is they got the full measure of Justice they deserved but will be out in ten years or less. 

2 hours ago, red321 said:

I had jury duty yesterday...get put on a panel at the end of the day...boring shit...DUI...unfortunately whenever I'm on a panel, I tend to get stuck on the jury...but I have an out this time...the defense lawyer doesn't seem to like the fact I've been on multiple juries before, and as a foreman...including on a DUI/marijuana case...even calls me out on it...how I look like I don't want to be there! Yes...but first round of challenges go by and I'm still stuck in seat #2. 8 more people get called to the box...and now the prosecutor is fine...and there are a bunch of women who are pretending to be part of MADD to get off this thing...shit...

...and then...out of nowhere...please excuse juror #2...woohoo.....and yet now I'm offended that I wasn't good enough for that smarmy DUI lawyer with the ill fitting suit...who the hell is he to judge me? Dick.

just always answer with "i hate criminals"

anyway, a lawyer friend of mine said that neither side likes to pick people who are even slightly knowledgeable about the law, so i study up right before each jury duty, and have never been selected. 

5 minutes ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

just always answer with "i hate criminals"

anyway, a lawyer friend of mine said that neither side likes to pick people who are even slightly knowledgeable about the law, so i study up right before each jury duty, and have never been selected. 

It was amusing watching some people trying to get out of the panel...very transparent...like the lady who said she hated everyone to drink...why? umm...because people shouldn't drink

17 minutes ago, red321 said:

It was amusing watching some people trying to get out of the panel...very transparent...like the lady who said she hated everyone to drink...why? umm...because people shouldn't drink

My wife's friend just says they are not in court because they're innocent. And she believes that.

4 hours ago, red321 said:
4 hours ago, red321 said:

something similar for me. i was 22 and called into the jury box for a DUI case of some guy who was near my age. answered honestly and without trying to show any bias in any way. was asked if i drank and truthfully answered "no." got bumped almost immediately and was pissed about their refusal to believe i could be impartial.

My son last night is trying to cut up cilantro on a marble prep board and was complaining the knife was dull. First off using a chefs knife on marble dulls the blade, use a wood cutting board.

Second, use the damn honing steel. Just a few swipes on the steel and the blade is back to slicing through a weed effortlessly. 

Way back when I was a kid my grandfather visited and was apalled at how dull my mom's kitchen knives were. He took them to the garage and dug up my father's whetstone and used 3 in one oil and put an edge on them that they never had before. My mom was actually scared to use them, she never really worked with a sharp blade before. 

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

My son last night is trying to cut up cilantro on a marble prep board and was complaining the knife was dull. First off using a chefs knife on marble dulls the blade, use a wood cutting board.

Second, use the damn honing steel. Just a few swipes on the steel and the blade is back to slicing through a weed effortlessly. 

Way back when I was a kid my grandfather visited and was apalled at how dull my mom's kitchen knives were. He took them to the garage and dug up my father's whetstone and used 3 in one oil and put an edge on them that they never had before. My mom was actually scared to use them, she never really worked with a sharp blade before. 

Happy anniversary blarg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, arch stanton said:

My baby daughter dunked my iPhone in my coffee cup. That dropped her down to #3 on my favorite kids list. Even behind the grumpy ass teenager 

The baby daughter is smart.  She read Nates review, and is telling you that you need to get the iPhone X, so she can easily use it with her small hands.  And it's waterproof.