• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

ALS

Adam

ALS, Kony 2012, those gay Livestrong bracelets, the dodo bird

I was reading something a while back how people making charitable causes some kind of trend adversely affect other charities and causes.

that's what the link i posted addressed

The cold, hard truth about the ice bucket challenge

http://qz.com/249649/the-cold-hard-truth-about-the-ice-bucket-challenge/

So, basically this person is whining that they didn't come up with the idea themselves and projects that the millions of dollars raised took away from money that would have gone to other charities...without any actual proof? Maybe a little harsh, but I would guess a lot of people who participated in the challenge, and donated as part of the challenge, didn't suddenly decide to stop a donation of $25 to another cause they were going to make. 

Edited by red321

Sadly, we see a lot of patients that "hope" they have Lyme Disease instead of ALS. many of the symptoms mimic each other, and Lyme Disease is the lesser of two evils since it can be treated.

One of the toughest parts of my job is talking to the patients family member when they are starting to give up because there has been no progress.

Lots of false hope despite the warnings.

I don't mind charitable causes and any money is good money for them, I just despise Joe Average taking selfies and pics of booze and all the nights out with no semblance of good will being a sheep about causes they don't know about or support but want to look cool on social media.

I also wish charities were more transparent about funds and what they are trying to accomplish and somewhat of a business plan for the funds.

There are so many great causes out there: Cancer, ALS, Heart Disease, Veterans, Shelters, Food Banks. It is all good stuff.

Maybe if folks had more disposable income.

Why would someone donate to a cause when you could just drop $300 on a shirt with someone else's name on it and then be all bitter?

Says the guy who runs a Non Profit.

Edited by Sully151

I call this the "Hipster reaction".  Once something becomes overly popular the cool thing to do is bag on it.

Regardless, I don't think making ALS more known to the world is a bad thing in any fashion.

Agreed that I'd rather see a lot of people dumping ice on their head and not even contributing, but have ALS get x amount more funds than years past.

I'm not even opposed to viral marketing as I was one half of a founding member of a ground roots Hurricane Katrina charity that I started on Myspace that went way beyond what we expected and was one of the coolest things I have been apart of...even with the issues and naysayers.

I call this the "Hipster reaction".  Once something becomes overly popular the cool thing to do is bag on it.

Regardless, I don't think making ALS more known to the world is a bad thing in any fashion.

Totally.

But NO ONE talks about ALS anymore because it is no longer cool. 

I would equate a challenge like this to the Nintendo Wii. 

Did the Wii leech sales from other video game systems? Maybe a little. But it far more got people who never played video games to play. Did most of those people keep playing? Probably not. But some did.

These kind of charitable challenges involve people who have never given to charity. Undoubtedly some of those will turn this one time action into a habit. Certainly not a very high percentage but some. I'm really not sure how this is a bad thing.

Totally.

But NO ONE talks about ALS anymore because it is no longer cool. 

During the whole ice bucket craze, no one was really talking about it then either. So they would mention it in the video and that's it.

It's not like people were having ALS discussions around the ice cooler and how terrible the disease is.

During the whole ice bucket craze, no one was really talking about it then either. So they would mention it in the video and that's it.

It's not like people were having ALS discussions around the ice cooler and how terrible the disease is.

Its amazing that you were privy to every conversation after a challenge, a true miracle.

i think any awareness is a good thing. i wish more of these charities would spend the money on research instead of administration, though i understand salaries are necessary.

i have a friend who's dieing of ALS. taught two of his daughters. they were glad for all the attention last summer about it, even though it's likely too late for their dad to benefit from it.