• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Billy Butler to the A's

Docwaukee

In October 2005 I went to a mass interview in Phoenix so decided to catch some AFL action to see Brandon Wood for myself. Butler was in LF the day I watched and was the clumsiest, most nonathletic person I've ever seen get paid to play baseball. He will not age well. If he doesn't rake then he's basically useless. 

Dude has been in decline for a couple years, has no speed or defensive value, and is probably the worst athlete in MLB not named Bartolo. He might have some value as a DH against lefties, but that's about it. Nice pick up, Beane.

Really, there's no other 1b-dh type hitter out there on the market.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/2015-mlb-free-agents.html

If you go through all those guys you have:

Butler

Morse (injury prone and inconsistent)

Ludwick (injury prone)

Hart (I don't know what the hell happened to him)

Willingham (probably retiring)

They needed a right handed hitter, they got one.

Yeah, I don't like him playing first and the contract...well...it's bad..but!

Aviles sucked, got 3.5 mill for one year

Burnett was worse, got 8.5 mill for one year

Cuddyer will be injured 1/2 the year. 2 years for 21.

Happ was below average...got 6.7 mill for one year

J.J. Hardy was awful. 3 years for 40 mill.

You get the idea.

They're ALL BAD!

The A's don't have anyone in the minors that can DH/ Platoon that is capable of putting up similar numbers to butler?

I find that hard to believe.

The Angels always seem players capable of filling that role.

Last year, it was CJ Cron.

Hell Cron seems better than butler. Both clog the bases, don't walk and play awful defense.

Cron probably has a little more power than butler though.

Edited by Poozy

9 HR in 549 AB is some serious power.

The A's stadium is an extreme pitchers park, kind of like San Diego, so why buy up expensive power hitters that will never show their potential?

I am going to assume 2014 it is more of an outlier for a relatively young player and Butler should bounce back to a .285/.370 line which makes him one of the better hitters in the A's lineup last season. That is how the A's score runs in a park that suppresses power, OBP and a timely hit, so he may just fit in well to what their system requires.

He would be of no help to the Angels but Oakland got possibly what they needed in a true DH for a decent price in todays market.

The A's don't have anyone in the minors that can DH/ Platoon that is capable of putting up similar numbers to butler?

I find that hard to believe.

The Angels always seem players capable of filling that role.

Last year, it was CJ Cron.

Hell Cron seems better than butler. Both clog the bases, don't walk and play awful defense.

Cron probably has a little more power than butler though.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ibp&cid=105&stn=true&sid=t105

Knock yourself out.

Ok.

Who?

just the names i know: reddick, blanks, goebbert, vogt, freiman, gentry, barton. i can't really talk about any of the other guys because i don't have any frame of reference for their prospects. the point is i could manufacture the same production that butler would give me for a fraction of the cost, at least in my opinion. 

i look at it as the A's have very few dollars to spend, so that signing seems unwise from that perspective, but i understand you are a fan and fans want better individual players. 

just the names i know: reddick, blanks, goebbert, vogt, freiman, gentry, barton. i can't really talk about any of the other guys because i don't have any frame of reference for their prospects. the point is i could manufacture the same production that butler would give me for a fraction of the cost, at least in my opinion.

i look at it as the A's have very few dollars to spend, so that signing seems unwise from that perspective, but i understand you are a fan and fans want better individual players.

Reddick plays right field and he's a lefty.

Blanks gets hurt too much.

Goebbert is on the Padres

Vogt is a lefty and has no track record

Frieman has no track record.

Gentry is a 4th outfielder with 0 home runs last year.

I think I'm the only A's fan left that kind of likes Barton. That said...when he's been in the majors..he had one good year.

I understand what you're saying..the A's have limited money and you don't want to spend 10 million a year on a guy that hit 9 homers last year.

Unless you're the Marlins (until this year) or a team like that...sometimes you have to spend the money.

Did they have to spend this much? I don't know...probably not (but what else is new)...so I'm with you on that...but he's going to get at least 8 million a year because:

-he's a career .290 hitter

-he hasn't been on the dl in six years (which is big)

-he's had a pretty good career.

-The A's had Gomes bat clean up for them the last two months of the year.

Yes, I know he's a double play king...but I didn't see anyone else on the free agent list or in AAA that would have been a better option.

Edited by DW711

The A's stadium is an extreme pitchers park, kind of like San Diego, so why buy up expensive power hitters that will never show their potential?

Why do the Angels do this?

I'd rather have Butler at 3/$30M than Vernon Wells at 3/$65M. Oh, and we gave up a player in that deal!

Edited by dimitrig