• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trout is a shell of himself right now

ghoetke

I think he's trying to pull the ball and hit for power too much. If he hits gap to gap and goes the opposite way, as has been stated upthread, he is wildly effective.

Needs to reset his swing to compact, figure out a strategy for the inside stuff, and focus on making contact....and forget about the MVP circus sideshow.

That and trout absolutely must be separated from Pujols in the lineup. Have Calhoun bat behind him. Unlike Pujols Calhoun has be known to take pitches rather than fouling them away our grounding them weakly to third base. Trout would both get better protection abd better ability to steal. Edited by ScottLux

major league baseball is amazing.  

it has rendered the consensus best player in baseball into an average player until he adjusts to a pitch in the strike zone that he can't hit.  

This made me wonder: do players in other sports slump like they do in baseball? Trout, the best player in baseball, has been not just average but below average - a replacement level player - for a third of his playing time, a quarter of the season (so far). Does that happen to Lebron James for 20 games? Peyton Manning for 4 games? Wayne Gretzky for however many games they play in hockey?

Edited by Angelsjunky

This made me wonder: do players in other sports slump like they do in baseball? Trout, the best player in baseball, has been not just average but below average - a replacement level player - for a third of his playing time, a quarter of the season (so far). Does that happen to Lebron James for 20 games? Peyton Manning for 4 games? Wayne Gretzky for however many games they play in hockey?

I have never noticed it. Certainly players in all sports perform better at some times than others, but I usually don't see players in other sports go into a funk that lasts for weeks at a time. One reason may be that hitting a baseball is the single most difficult skill in all of sports, and it doesn't take that much to throw it off.

I have never noticed it. Certainly players in all sports perform better at some times than others, but I usually don't see players in other sports go into a funk that lasts for weeks at a time. One reason may be that hitting a baseball is the single most difficult skill in all of sports, and it doesn't take that much to throw it off.

It happens in tennis

Tiger Woods isn't a bad comparison here.

Woods could retire and quit playing golf completely right now and still be one of the top two or three pro golfers of all time.  I sort of get tired of folks carping at Woods. Despite what ever other issues he may have, his name still lights up the TV golf ratings.......

Trout not quite there yet but Trout has career numbers right now that are pretty impressive for his time in the league. If he were to leave the game today, his numbers right now give him a better MLB career than a lot of players......Trout's still young -- if he 'slumps' from here on out ( and he won't) and puts up semi-average numbers (20 to 25 HRs a year, 80 RBI's and bats .275) and plays for another 12 years -- well he winds up with pretty close to HOF numbers putting up mere mortal numbers from here on out.

I think Trout keeps getting better numbers wise over the length of his Halos contract at least.

Tiger Woods has been slumping for years.

If you want to call having multiple significant surgeries, and your personal life ripped apart and displayed constantly for everyone to pick at, a slump - then I guess he's slumping.  He's made some bad personal decisions outside of golf, but inside the ropes he might be the greatest to have ever played the game, especially given the level of competition in his era.