• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Ferguson Unrest

I think the prison system numbers show who's committing the crimes. I don't see the same kind of outrage when Arabs get pulled out of line by TSA at the airports.

It's simply numbers and probability.

That is the point though, TSA makes a point of not singling out Arabs.  Crap, my 9 year old son got pulled out of line early last year.

Regardless, even if what you say is the entire reason (which I'm not sure I agree with) tell that to the thousands of law abiding blacks that get pulled over yearly due to the color of their skin.

my son is kind of shifty looking though.

I didn't say it was right. I feel bad for the dude just going to or from work like any other dude that gets harassed.

I don't know, I've been profiled and ultimately it doesn't bother me. Initially it sucks, but ultimately putting tattoos on my arms that still have a stigma of criminal is something I knew and considered when I got the work done.

It is what it is. Maybe the gangbangers should put firefighter stickers on the back of the '78 Caprice as a pullover deterrent.....or make sure their license and registration are up to date. 

This country tends to focus on Black racism. 

Ask your Mexican friends some time about the harassment they experience from the US Border Patrol.  I'm talking Mexicans born and raised here to Mexican parents born and raised here.  I have one friend who avoids driving to San Diego solely because of the San Clemente checkpoint on the way home. 

I disagree about it solely being a cultural thing. Blacks don't get pulled over more often in their cars because of culture.

To piggyback what brandon said, where is the crime? All over america, obviously, but where is the crime society wants us to stop? Its in the bad neighborhoods. People want us to stop thieves obviously, but nobody tells us to view domestic violence or dui's over shootings.

Are we saying that blacks are stopped more than hispanics and asians? And at the same time are we pretending they (hispanics and asians) dont face the same racism? So why arent they being stopped equally?

But ill bet in LA mexicans are stopped more than anyone. Probably because they now outnumber everyone in the shitty areas. And theyre being stopped by black, white, and other hispanic officers.

I cant speak for backwood, small town departments. Im sure there still are a ton of jim crow cops out there. But in terms of the cities, its not about race, its about crime. And the numbers show where the crime is.

In terms of mexicans, if you go through a heavily populated area of hispanics, youll see the cops stopping cholos and 'might be' cholos left and right....but whens the last time you saw the border brother truck stopped and getting searched? And who do you see more of, cholos or the gardener?

Thats because (generally) its not the 'paisa' whos stealing things and shooting at people. Both the same race, but two different cultures..

One of the problems I see with the black community...granted this is perception and not fact, but there doesn't seem to be a loud enough voice encouraging this demographic to stop shitting out kids outside of a family structure. 

I posted a link a couple pages back. 2/3s of all black kids are growing up in a single parent home. God Bless the single mothers out there, but more of them are going to fail than succeed and a lot of these kids are going to wind up doing the same things their "parents" did. 

In comparison, one person/people can have a much larger impact on the things he/she/they can control than on others.

pure and simple, the cycle has to be broken. it's repeated so often that many kids grow up with no hope of any kind of better life for themselves. that has to change.

i always applaud stories about people who pull themselves up out of terrible, unfair, impossible conditions and yet go on to make something of themselves. 

we need a modern day MLK to come around and remind people that it's not okay to kill each other, steal, destroy neighborhoods, use drugs, join gangs, etc. I don't think that voice exists in a large sense today.

pure and simple, the cycle has to be broken. it's repeated so often that many kids grow up with no hope of any kind of better life for themselves. that has to change.

i always applaud stories about people who pull themselves up out of terrible, unfair, impossible conditions and yet go on to make something of themselves.

we need a modern day MLK to come around and remind people that it's not okay to kill each other, steal, destroy neighborhoods, use drugs, join gangs, etc. I don't think that voice exists in a large sense today.

Of course, if it wasn't for some white racist, MLK might still be around to be an example...and the NSA might be listening to his phone conversations instead of J Edgar. Although he'd be a very old man by now, but could have been able to train a protege to continue his work.

Part of the problem with broken families in black neighborhoods is the failed War on Drugs. Or maybe it isn't a failure after all. There are plenty of blacks in prison for nonviolent drug offenses, some for selling crack instead of powder cocaine, and many because of recidivism. And it's so easy to end up back in prison, especially because once you've been there, nobody will hire you.

The privatization of prisons only exacerbates the problem because it removes the incentive for rehabilitation and job training of prisoners.

We need a modern day MLK to lead a crusade to end the perpetual flow of government handouts. 

There are places in the south and midwest, entire neighborhoods, where nobody in the household has ever been employed.  The government pays for everything.  It's not a matter of poor work ethic, they  don't have a work ethic.  When the government money runs out, stealing from others makes the most sense. 

Since there's no need to be gainfully employed, that leaves plenty of time during daylight hours to carry out criminal activity.  Studies have been published that correlate residents' time at home with neighborhood crime levels.  In these predominantly Black neighborhoods, more time at home with nothing to do = more crime. 

Of course, if it wasn't for some white racist, MLK might still be around to be an example...and the NSA might be listening to his phone conversations instead of J Edgar. Although he'd be a very old man by now, but could have been able to train a protege to continue his work.

Part of the problem with broken families in black neighborhoods is the failed War on Drugs. Or maybe it isn't a failure after all. There are plenty of blacks in prison for nonviolent drug offenses, some for selling crack instead of powder cocaine, and many because of recidivism. And it's so easy to end up back in prison, especially because once you've been there, nobody will hire you.

The privatization of prisons only exacerbates the problem because it removes the incentive for rehabilitation and job training of prisoners.

i'm not sure what that has to do with someone being a voice about living with a different moral code, but thanks anyway.

In terms of issues that cause the problem, the same advice goes for every race...thats why i keep harping on culture. I worked with plenty of 'poor white trash' in the military. The common thread between that community (the coal towns, appalachia, the ozarks etc) and the poor minority communities is a bunch of people with no marketable job skill, bringing more of them into the world....its not a vast conspiracy. I could be wrong, but i think whites outnumber blacks in poverty (percentage wise as well as numbers wise).

And if you speak to those people (at least in my experience), rhey dont point their finger at the 'white man', but at 'the man'. Seriously, a lot of these people act like the civil war was a few weeks ago, and the carpetbaggers are behind it all.

Mark, i know the stats youre getting at, and i think there is a ton of truth behind it. But just for the sake of discussion, id offer this countrrpoint. (And lbhalos can back me on this). While it could bery well be true blacks get harsher sentances in certain areas, i can tell you its the opposite in others. So whereas if youre a crook in a high crime area, youre going to get a vastly lower sentance than someone in a better area.

Beleieve it or not, ive come accross guys on probation for murder...let that sink in...this is usually the gangsyer who drove the car away after a shooting or something similar. Drug sales almost always get dropped to possession. Stolen cars become possession of stolen property, etc. Meanwhile, cross the orange curtain and commit a gang crime and youre getting the full brunt of sentancing.

So im not saying either is right or wrong, but its not nearly as clean of an issue as some (not saying you) make it to be.

People say 3 strikes is cruel punishment....theres an absolute connect between it and the vast reduction in violent crime in LA. During the war years, ghetto stars (we called them) were guys who had multiple shootings, some multiple murders. The gangsters today will almost never make the tally of the 80s and 90s shooters because of the newer penalties. No longer do guys get sent to CYA for 7 years after a murder (at least not usually).

Compare the early 90s, when LA cuty (not including county) was averaging roughly 1200 murders a year, to now when its down to about 200.

Also, while poverty does play a role in gangbanging, its not the end all. Not by any stretch. I grew up with plenty of friends who eere split between the one good son and one shitbird. And i knew plenty of kids who had good homes who got caught up in gangbanging. A lot of it is the allure of what weve made popular.

Im of the generstion where tagging really took off. Tagging started out as the alternate to gangs...taggers decided to becoke gangs (because they were getting up in numbers and starting to get bigger than the established neighborhoods rhey came from). My point being, whereas there wasnt really a problem in some (not all) areas prior, a bunch of knucklehead kids who wanted to adopt the lifestyle created one.

Sidenote on that. Anyone from LA or OC can see that tagging is nowhere near as big today as it used to be. Yes, graffiti is still out there. But very rarely do you see busses and freeways covered in it like in the early 90s. Why? Well, people think its because of police officers. That couldnt be further from the truth. The reality was taggers got greenlit by the mexican mafia. That made it almost an overnight era killer. Its not being arrested that these guys fear, its who youre getting locked up with. And no one (even today) wants to go in as a tagger. Youll get immediately checked by the car when you do. (Again, its still there, but not the epidemic it used to be).

This is why i shake my head and laugh when i hear gangsters talk about being afraid of the cops to reporters. Theyre not scared...go on a ride along and see it for yourself. They dont want to go to jail, sure. But the only real fear they have is the guys just like them 3 blocks over.

How much gang-related crime happens for the thrill of running from the police? 

I used to catch taggers spray painting in broad daylight.  They had smiles on their faces the entire time, even when the police rolled up.  This was 20 years ago, by the way.

Edited by mp170.6

Yeah, thats part of the problem mp. More so with a lot of these kids that arent really scared of getting in trouble when you get home.

I think most of us probably had to worry about grades (at home), and even more so about getting in trouble at school. These kids who dont even need to really worry about getting in trouble with police are almost doomed from the beginning