• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

what are you reading lately?

I've read that it is a sign of ADHD, background noise helps occupy your subconscious, allowing you to focus and concentrate. It's like reading, I cannot read in a quiet room...well, I can read...I just have to reread the same page over and over.

About the only time I can have silence is when I'm out photographing.

46 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You and my wife would get along well. She cannot sit in a quiet room. I will remove my hearing aids just to lessen the sounds in a room with nothing going on. She gets a little fidgety if we go to bed together and I shut off the television. 

Has she tried a noise-maker? They play soft ambient white noise to help folks fall asleep. Very common. 

Back on the subject matter,  I am a sucker for free Nook books on Barnes & Noble.  Most of the authors are complete hacks and are even copying each others characters.  

The first book I downloaded free was Bubba and the Dead Woman. I enjoyed the mythical Texas, Pengram County,  where a college educated mechanic named Bubba Snoddy runs into trouble in his home town and has to deal with not only having redneck genes but his redneck community that is quick to judgment and a sherrif quicker to dispense some without evidence. He comes home from work to find his ex wife dead on his front lawn and it quickly unravels from there. 

I liked the characters enough that I went through the entire series,  even paying a whole $2.49 for the last couple installments. Junk reads at best but enough small laughs in it to be worth my free time.

The author only has one other book I found interesting called Missile Rats,  a story of a late 80's obsolete missle base in Germany that is falling apart but is still part of the US DoD. Everyone assigned there is some cast off in the service,  from the top command down to the motor pool. Eventually the dissfunction drives a few to do stupid stuff and sends one guy off the deep end and he attempts to launch their one nuke. 

8 hours ago, red321 said:

I have never been a meditation person, silence pains me...physically pains me. I cannot be in a silent room without going crazy. Cannot sleep at night if it's silent. But I've thought that maybe it's something I should try and work on.

You would enjoy my 8th graders this year. They have zero comprehension of what silence means.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...