• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

what are you reading lately?

Since the beginning of Sept, I have been reading nothing but baseball books...and there have been some awesome reads.

I'm really glad I started this and not surprisingly there are many great Bball books that I have never read. 

Just started this one..

http://www.playingwiththeenemy.com/

Thread from the main page..

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/22953-favorite-non-angels-baseball-books/?hl=favorite+books

I just finished "Pirate Latitudes" last week, by Michael Crichton!

It was a finished manuscript, that was discovered after his death.  I found it on the shelf at my Pops rest home, and borrowed it.  It gave me a few hours of enjoyment, reading it by the pool with some rum and ales!

If you're into the whole pirate-culture thing, I highly recommend this one!

If anyone was a fan of the ALIEN franchise I could highly recommend two books that branch off from the original first 2 movies.  The first one I read was called "Alien- River of Pain".  This book tells the story of what happened to all the colonists (Newt's family) on the planet before Ripley and the marines arrive in the movie ALIENS. The next book I read: "Alien- Out of the Shadows" is by a different author and tells the story about Ripley's escape pod being rescued by a ship that has had a run in with the aliens too.  They were both fun reads that would have made way better movies than the alien vs predator bs that came out.

amazon has another Kindle sale today...some great titles, especially if your are a sci-fi fan

Some great books for the Kindle on sale today.

The Last Policeman (and other books in the series) is a great set of books about society and how it reacts in the face of upcoming destruction

The Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge is usually listed as a top 100 sci-fi book

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

and books by Octavia Butler

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_7533915011_gb1h_img_c-2_0222_23b8bcea?rh=i%3Adigital-text%2Cn%3A7533915011%2Cn%3A7533915011&ie=UTF8&smid=A3T7DQBB0CKEM6&node=7533915011&tag=kinjadeals-20&ascsubtag=26f0d4382d5892345ebcea00af98303b19db6192&rawdata=%5Br%7Chttp%3A%2F%2Fio9.com%2F%5Bt%7Clink%5Bp%7C1735924951%5Bau%7C5856732741879800112

Based on your recommendations I picked up "The Last Policeman". What a well crafted story. This is no bargain basement book. I am only on chapter 3, but I would highly recommend it even at full price.

Thank you Red for the suggestion.

the K&R book is riveting. its a classic. 

dennis ritchie was a f*cking  badass. i was super bummed when he passed away.

i prefer the CLR algorithms book though, this one: http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Algorithms-Edition-Thomas-Cormen/dp/0262033844

Richie was indeed a badass, and I love how the book is so concise . It's a shame how Steve Jobs overshadowed his death. C is probably the most important programming language ever created.

I'm a little familiar with the Algorithms book you linked, but what I like (and dislike) about the Sedgewick one is its focus on theory and the overall concept of algorithms rather than a specific language. Although, I really do hate how the book uses its own tweaked version of Java–it's a little annoying.  

Edited by failos

Richie was indeed a badass, and I love how the book is so concise . It's a shame how Steve Jobs overshadowed his death. C is probably the most important programming language ever created.

I'm a little familiar with the Algorithms book you linked, but what I like (and dislike) about the Sedgewick one is its focus on theory and the overall concept of algorithms rather than a specific language. Although, I really do hate how the book uses its own tweaked version of Java–it's a little annoying.  

yeah i dont know the sedgewick algorithms book as well, but ive heard its great too.

agreed, algorithms or really any CS fundamental should be taught language agnostic.

are you reading them for school? or just for masochistic sh*ts and giggles? 

Edited by mrwicked

yeah i dont know the sedgewick algorithms book as well, but ive heard its great too.

agreed, algorithms or really any CS fundamental should be taught language agnostic.

are you reading them for school? or just for masochistic sh*ts and giggles? 

I'm reading them for grad school. You're in CS as well, I assume?

Edited by failos

haha. that too.

yeah i went to berkeley. have done a few startups since.

when not doing that im working on my true calling - being a professional hop scotch player.

I'm still upset that you lost two years of college eligibility (and a legit shot at the olympics) for that hopscotch incident at Stanford.

thanks for bringing that up.

not my finest moment. 

f*cker had it coming through if you ask me. 

i hope you don't mind, but i'd like to share the training video you produced a few years ago.

stuff gets real at 1:30 mark.

Ship Breaker is soooo good.  I read it last summer, and added it to my silent reading bookshelf.  It's been really popular for my students. I hope it gets made into a movie. 

I picked it up, haven't read it yet. Really enjoyed his book, Wind Up Girl. As soon as I get through Grapes of Wrath I'll start on that. I don't know why I'm struggling so much with it...probably because I'm in the mood for science fiction right now.

I am listening to Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee...jesus christ we were/are ****ing assholes. 

lol.

i can only dream!

failos where are you going to grad school, and what are you focusing on?

I go to DePaul University. I was a liberal arts major in undergrad at a local UC, applied and was accepted at a top law school last year, but decided to change my path towards computer science. I've been getting all the fundamental courses out of the way, but I should start on the Master's stuff in a quarter or two. I'd like to focus on software engineering or game development, but I'm starting to love data science. We'll see. 

What is your focus? Development?