• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

what are you reading lately?

I've actually made it a goal this year to read quite a bit, or at least a huge increase over what I normally did. Set a goal of at least 30 books for the year (currently at 12 done), so it's been fun.

Just been reading a lot of older crime novels like Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, Elmore Leonard, etc.. plus a few other random books in there.

Though right now, I'm currently reading Silver Screen Fiend by Patton Oswalt. So far it's not amazing, but if you like Patton Oswalt and movies, it's at least passable.

I was raised Missouri Synod Lutheran...or as I call it, Roman Catholic lite. 

I stopped believing in my mid teens, but there was a great book I came across in college called Reading the Bible Again for the First Time that really made me think about the Bible as literature. I hadn't thought about it in years, but I recommend it.  I'm agnostic, and find the militancy of other agnostics and atheists to be inelegant, abusive, and downright ugly. This book would be considered evil by a lot of fundamentalists, but I thought it was a good non-literal look at the Bible, which is a beautiful work of literature, IMO. 

Not sure if I'm interested in Zealot. 

Sounds a bit like Brian McLaren and similar "heretical" authors I read a few years back.  Good reads if you view the Bible or other religious texts either allegorically or as literature.

Along similar lines, a fascinating read is "The Gnostic Gospels" by Elaine Pagels.

• 2 months later...

I set a goal to read 30 books this year too.  I am currently on number 21.  My favorite books I read this year are probably Ready Player One(awesome! I hear it is going to be a movie so those that don't like to read can still enjoy the story) and Desert Places: A Novel of Terror. 

Ready Player One was a nice summer type of read. Fairly predictable but it was a nice romp through 80's pop culture. I hear Speilberg is part of the project and they just announced a tentative Winter 2017 release date. Probably take them that long to license all the 80's material referenced in the book.

I am about three chapters into Under the Tarnished Dome, a book about Notre Dame football, most of it dealing with the Lou Holtz era in South Bend. Very revealing, about both Holtz (who is not the man he portrays himself to be) and the program in general.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

drove to tahoe to sing this weekend and instead of listening to music, we listen to a book on CD. chose "poseidon's arrow" by clive cussler. typical cussler story, which is always a fun story. had 11 discs but only made it through 9.5, so i'll have to finish it at work this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon is having a kindle sale today, $2 for some pretty popular books including

The Martian - coming soon to a screen near you

Ready Player One - a fun read that uses a lot of 80's culture. Here's the description. Speilberg will be adapting this to the screen in the near future.

Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday’s fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline

Station Eleven - I really enjoyed this book. An audacious, darkly glittering novel set in the eerie days of civilization’s collapse, Station Eleven tells the spellbinding story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity. 

Deal also includes The Shining, Book 1 of Game of Thrones, and for you Adam...all of the Fifty Shades of Grey books.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3AB00EMXBDMA%2B%7C%2BB00L9B7IKE%2B%7C%2BB00Y6QF0PE%2B%7C%2BB007IXWL2C%2B%7C%2BB00OZ0TMYG%2B%7C%2BB004WY3D0O%2B%7C%2BB0055PGUYU%2B%7C%2BB000SEGE6M%2B%7C%2BB00CNQ7HAU%2B%7C%2BB0015DROBO%2B%7C%2BB0010SKUYM%2B%7C%2BB003JTHWKU%2B%7C%2BB000OCXGZA%2B%7C%2BB00AEBETU2%2B%7C%2BB00J1IQUYM%2B%7C%2BB0051ANPZQ%2B%7C%2BB000PDYVVG%2B%7C%2BB005IQZB14%2B%7C%2BB001BANK32%2B%7C%2BB007J4T2G8%2B%7C%2BB004JN1CW4%2B%7C%2BB0027MJU00%2B%7C%2BB003F3FJQO%2B%7C%2BB002QE3CTY%2B%7C%2BB000QCS8TW%2B%7C%2BB006LSZECO%2B%7C%2BB007IXWKUK%2B%7C%2BB005ZOBNOI%2B%7C%2BB000FC2L1O%2B%7C%2BB004J4WKUQ&keywords=B00EMXBDMA%2B%7C%2BB00L9B7IKE%2B%7C%2BB00Y6QF0PE%2B%7C%2BB007IXWL2C%2B%7C%2BB00OZ0TMYG%2B%7C%2BB004WY3D0O%2B%7C%2BB0055PGUYU%2B%7C%2BB000SEGE6M%2B%7C%2BB00CNQ7HAU%2B%7C%2BB0015DROBO%2B%7C%2BB0010SKUYM%2B%7C%2BB003JTHWKU%2B%7C%2BB000OCXGZA%2B%7C%2BB00AEBETU2%2B%7C%2BB00J1IQUYM%2B%7C%2BB0051ANPZQ%2B%7C%2BB000PDYVVG%2B%7C%2BB005IQZB14%2B%7C%2BB001BANK32%2B%7C%2BB007J4T2G8%2B%7C%2BB004JN1CW4%2B%7C%2BB0027MJU00%2B%7C%2BB003F3FJQO%2B%7C%2BB002QE3CTY%2B%7C%2BB000QCS8TW%2B%7C%2BB006LSZECO%2B%7C%2BB007IXWKUK%2B%7C%2BB005ZOBNOI%2B%7C%2BB000FC2L1O%2B%7C%2BB004J4WKUQ&ie=UTF8&qid=1440690754&tag=kinjadeals-20&ascsubtag=0bebbedf97cb150a685382c471f216de855a07d1&rawdata=%5Br%7Chttp%3A%2F%2Fio9.com%2F%5Bt%7Clink%5Bp%7C1726910457%5Bau%7C5727177402741770316

Station Eleven is on my list of books I want to check out but will probably never get around to.  Right now I'm reading White Plague (a fiction book about a virus from the arctic circle) and Sea of Glory, a historical book about the US Exploring Expedition of 1838-1842.  I enjoy reading about Naval disasters and mutinies.

I am reading, The Target, by David Baldacci, it is the third of his Will Robie books. I like him as an author because each book reads like a movie, with constant action, and short chapters. I don't know if that makes me sound like an idiot, but it's also what I like about reading Dan Brown and Vince Flynn (RIP).

I've been audible listening to King of California: The Story of J.G. Boswell and the Making of a Secret American Empire

http://www.amazon.com/King-California-Boswell-Making-American/dp/1586482815/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440697835&sr=8-2&keywords=king+of+california

Absolutely fascinating story about the San Joaquin Valley, the draining of Tulare Lake, and how a cotton empire exists south of Fresno.

Hell, I had no idea there was even such a thing as Tulare Lake...the largest freshwater lake west of the Great Lakes that stretched from Fresno towards Bakersfield and from what is now the 5 and 99 freeways.

I set a goal to read 30 books this year too.  I am currently on number 21.  My favorite books I read this year are probably Ready Player One(awesome! I hear it is going to be a movie so those that don't like to read can still enjoy the story) and Desert Places: A Novel of Terror. 

Nice. I'm currently at 23 for my goal of 30 now, so it looks like I'll hit it.

Currently in the middle of 3 books. I try not to jump between books, but if I do I keep to only 1 fiction book at a time no matter what.

Reading:

Hell House by Richard Matheson

Consider the Lobster and Other Essays by David Foster Wallace

Can't Stop, Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation by Jeff Chang

Edited by Sam Sanchez

Cuter half picked up Harper Lee's "Go Set a Watchman" for me, since she knows how much I love To Kill a Mockingbird.

Anyone read it?

I don't have super high expectations given when I know about the book, but figure it will be a neat read.

Edited by mrwicked

Cuter half picked up Harper Lee's "Go Set a Watchman" for me, since she knows how much I love To Kill a Mockingbird.

Anyone read it?

I don't have super high expectations given when I know about the book, but figure it will be a neat read.

I thought about reading it but decided I was not going to. I don't think this novel was ever intended to see the light of day, but rather people taking advantage of an old lady trying to cash in.

The first novel was brilliant, and I prefer to leave it at that, just like the author intended.

My understanding of the book is that it was written before TKAM, and then the publisher told her to make the kids younger and focus on them in the story. I have the book here at the house, but I haven't started reading it. To Kill a Mockingbird is incredible, might be the only book I have read twice. Before I go to Italy next year for my honeymoon, I will re-read the Dan Brown books to go see what he talks about in the Langdon books.

My understanding of the book is that it was written before TKAM, and then the publisher told her to make the kids younger and focus on them in the story. I have the book here at the house, but I haven't started reading it. To Kill a Mockingbird is incredible, might be the only book I have read twice. Before I go to Italy next year for my honeymoon, I will re-read the Dan Brown books to go see what he talks about in the Langdon books.

nice! where in italy are you going?

its a fantastic country (no surprise there)

i was thinking about heading out there next month, take my cuter half to italy and croatia.

second worst pizza i ever had in my life was in rome though, go figure