• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Freese or Iannetta's fault?

stormngt

I was unable to watch the game. I saw a video of the last play. With the bases loaded why wasn't Ianetta on the base for the force out. It looked like he was in front the base on the throw. Yes it was a bad throw but with a force the winning run would not score.

My bad I was told the basis were loaded. I guess next question should be WHY THE HELL DIDNT FREEZE GO FOR THE DP?

Why didn't Soscia loaded the basis up since the winning run was on third setting up the force at home?

2 reasons

1. The ball was hit too softly to 3rd to turn a double play and the only play was at home.

2. Dee Gordon was on deck and would have been tough to double up.

My bad I was told the basis were loaded. I guess next question should be WHY THE HELL DIDNT FREEZE GO FOR THE DP?

Why didn't Soscia loaded the basis up since the winning run was on third setting up the force at home?

If you saw the play Freese was charging to make a bare hand grab, there was no way he would have been able to execute a throw to second, let alone turn a double play.

Yeah Freese made the right call, he just made a bad throw and Iannetta compounded the mistake by not watching the ball go into his glove before he made the tag.

The runner coming home didn't even touch the plate the first time around, if Iannetta would have just caught the ball, he would have been out no matter what.

Still doesn't mean we'd be out of the inning though.

It was a terrible throw, anytime the ball is moving across a runners body away from you, it's a blind clutch.  First basemen blow those types of plays all the time.

Yep, this.

It's very likely a play Iannetta would still tell you he should have made, but Freese did him absolutely no favors with that throw. Especially when he's also having to be conscious of leaving the runner a path to the plate.

Yep, this.

It's very likely a play Iannetta would still tell you he should have made, but Freese did him absolutely no favors with that throw. Especially when he's also having to be conscious of leaving the runner a path to the plate.

And the runner is going to run through his arm....    That's a difficult play with a first baseman's mitt, much more so with a catcher's mitt.   

I don't think it was an "on the money" throw, but it wasn't a completely terrible one either. Sounded like Iannetta was trying to stay out of Uribe's "path to the plate" and it looked like he was trying to brace for the impact with Uribe while trying to make a catch and still be able to hold on to the tag.

Either way it's over and I'm sure it's behind them.

Someone please post the video of the play.  I saw CI completely miss the ball before Uribe even reached him. He never caught the ball to have it dislodged.  It went off the edge of his mitt

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=340805119&teams=los-angeles-angels-vs-los-angeles-dodgers

There is probably a better video somewhere.

I blame the silly new rule about not blocking the plate.......

catchers are so leery of how this rule works/ is interpreted -- they seem afraid to do much of anything at the plate.

I say scrap this silly rule and let's return to real baseball where the catcher blocked the plate and the runner ran him over and tried to jar the ball loose.......