• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What we get for +- 50 Million per year

ghoetke

Remember when Dipoto was called a genius for lining up all those back loaded deals. The balloon payments should be fun.

To be fair, the onus needs to be heaped upon the two prima donnas not producing as per their pay grade. These two were given generous, lucrative contracts to produce and help put this team into the WS. They have failed miserably at their jobs, should be utterly embarrased to even be seen, and own up to the fact that they have not earned the tremendous money that Arte and Dipoto have paid them. The only consistent thing those two have produced are a plethora of excuses and exulpations. Unfortunately, excuses and expulpations don't put victories in the win column nor do they garner WS trophies. :angry:

Ed both of your lengthy posts are exactly correct and the fact that we've allowed these 2 bozo's to get away with such putrid performance because we've "gotten used to it" after the past couple years really is sad. These guys are supposed to be carrying the team, and instead this team has done nothing but catered to and carried them while they still hit under .300 and rarely come up with a clutch hit. Some of the swings I see these guys take are downright embarrasing.

I'm not saying they don't come through every once in a while, but the amount of hustle we see from Aybar and Trout compared to what we see from Pujols and Hamilton is substantial and dissapointing for what they're getting paid, and the amount of respect we showed by giving them multi-year contracts. These should be the 2 hardest working hardest playing hardest hustling players on the team and we just don't see it most the time. Really they should be dissapointed by themselves, and if they are, they sure don't act like it.

Trying to justify performance against contract amounts is just a futile exercise for me.  Really, the only relevant part to me is how it impacts the ability to obtain more talent in the future.  The way MLB contracts keep rising, and the rising amount of revenue generated by the MLB ownership, in a few years what we are paying these guys may seem like chump change compared to what it will take to get more talent. Think about it this way, what Trout is likely to make in his baseball lifetime may make Albert and Josh's contracts seem pedestrian. I agree that 10 years is an extremely long period for any player, but mostly because fans get stale on most players after a relatively short period of time, fans like change and new faces, it generally gives some hope for something better.

Personally I still enjoy Pujols and Hamilton, even though realism says they are past their peak.  But I still hold out some hope that when the pennant races get tight, and if we get into the playoffs, their experience will come through to some degree.  They were great, great players for a period of years, and I think they could still be somewhat dangerous when the real pressure is on.

Hey, we are definitely in a down offensive cycle right now, but the defense has been steady and the pitching has been terrific at times.  In all respects baseball is a game of cycles, and you have to persevere through the good and bad, and hope you finish on the real hot cycle.  Pujols and Hamilton know that, they have lived it many times before.

Edited by tomsred

And next year, $49 million. And the following year, $57 million. And the year after that, $58 million.

Does anyone think they'll be producing even at current levels three years from now?

And how many All Star Games, MVP's and Silver Slugger awards have they produced since we signed Pujols and Hamilton? Zero and I'm pretty confident moving forward that it won't change. It's funny how as they get worse moving forward they will get raises. I can't stand backloaded deals.

And next year, $49 million. And the following year, $57 million. And the year after that, $58 million.

Does anyone think they'll be producing even at current levels three years from now?

Of the two the only one that has any chance of being better than they currently are is Hamilton because I am guessing his hand is what is causing him to not drive the ball. Of course it doesn't help that he is swinging at crap, but at least with a properly healed hand he can at least drive the ball again.

I find it odd people still talk about it.

The deals are done and have been for a while. The guys are going to be who they are.

People keep posting about it like it's some new idea or thought.

Wait, are you saying that these guys are overpaid? I had never thought of it that way. I'll do some research and get back to you on whether or not I agree or not. What a novel concept.

yankees can absorb it, we cant.  u do know the difference right?

The Angels have the 6th largest payroll in baseball and have been in the top tem of payroll for ten years running. So they are absorbing that number just fine and have no problem running it right up to the cap.

Maybe, when the Angels start reducing payroll to that of a mid market team you may have a point. Currently though, your and idiot.

Edited by Mudville

This is what the majority of you wanted from Arte Claus.

I will give you props for being one person on here that has been against big name free agent signings from the get go. I totally disagree, unfortunately all you have to do to refute my stance is go to exhibit A and exhibit B who hit 3 and 4 in our line up. I guess I see it as black and white and maybe that doesn't have to be the case. But I see it like this, if we don't try to build a winner, then what happens when Trout and Richards are coming up on free agency? Do we resign them to contracts that maybe they won't be worth, or worse yet, will they stay if we never put other big name productive players around them? Despite the A's success, I would HATE to be a fan of that team right now. Every time you have a player mature into a great player or pitcher they are traded away. When was the last time they had a very good player play their entire career there?

My point was, we are not the only team with bad contracts. Also we have constantly signed players even after shelling out bad contracts, we too have absorbed them, to a degree.

we are not the only team with bad contracts but we are the only team that has a self imposed salary cap of 186 by the owner.  if arte didnt mind going over luxury tax threshold, i wouldnt care as much, but these two arent producing anything while clogging up 1/3 of the payroll.  it will hurt them even more in the coming years as the angels continue minuscule production for top dollar.

we are not the only team with bad contracts but we are the only team that has a self imposed salary cap of 186 by the owner. if arte didnt mind going over luxury tax threshold, i wouldnt care as much, but these two arent producing anything while clogging up 1/3 of the payroll. it will hurt them even more in the coming years as the angels continue minuscule production for top dollar.

Just because he said he won't go over it doesn't mean he won't go over it. He also said he would for the right player. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go over it this year or next for the right starter, someone like Scherzer or Price.

Fine, throw Blanton in there too.

Forgot how backloaded those contracts were, holy crap.

Yep, the Angels are one of a handful of teams that have bad contracts. This isn't just an Angel thing and so far it hasn't really kept them from giving Trout an extension or kept us from making moves.

Dreaming of a team with tori hunter and grienke

Sadly Grienke wanted to be in the NL and was going to the highest bidder, he basically said that in his press conference. Regardless of what contracts we had the Dodgers weren't going to be outbid.