• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Stock Market: The Thread

• 1 month later...

i just maxed out my ira contribution for the year

using the next couple of weeks of craziness to make some choices about where to invest

mostly index funds

bought another amazon share today

i'm new to all of this

24,500 has come and gone.

I copied this analysis from Townhall.com. Could this be overly optimistic? Any thoughts?

excerpt: Most fundamentally stock market gains have been paid for with profits growth. Currently, the S&P500 is trading at about 25-times earnings—just about what it was a year ago and roughly in line with its 25-year average.

Analysts are forecasting earnings growth exceeding 10% over the next three quarters. That puts the 1-year forward P-E ratio at only about 18 and makes another jump in stock prices wholly possible, especially if the Senate and House can agree on a tax bill with a significant cut in corporate rates.

Importantly, inflation remains in check. Federal Reserve Chairman designate Powell is expected to continue Chairman Yellen’s policy of slowly raising interest rates and shrinking the Fed balance.

Even with somewhat higher interest rates, the P-E at 25 implies a rate of return on stockholder invested capital of 4% on shareholder equity, and investors can’t get anywhere near that on long-term Treasuries or CDs.

Over the last 25 years, the return on the S&P 500 has averaged 11% but long-term Treasuries only about 3%. With double digit gains forecasted for earnings, the fundamentals support stock performance relative to bonds in line with those metrics—perhaps a lot better.

this is not a strong area for me so a lot of the info doesn't process well for me. what i know is that the market goes through a self-correction every so often and prices drop, sometimes more than expected or at a time not anticipated. i hope this current rise is something we can all ride for a good long while, but i'm ever conscious of a drop coming when least expected.

4 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Over the last 25 years, the return on the S&P 500 has averaged 11% but long-term Treasuries only about 3%. With double digit gains forecasted for earnings, the fundamentals support stock performance relative to bonds in line with those metrics—perhaps a lot better.

Over any 30 year period of the S&P 500 annualized returns with dividends reinvested are ~11% and this is even true for 66-96 while returns were flat from 66-81.  Hopefully most regular investors are investing with the long term in mind but statistics tell us that a lot of people invest with their emotions and sell on dips while buying back in higher.  Whenever there's a ridiculous amount of optimism or fear we're bound for a correction but set your plan and stick with it.  

53 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Over any 30 year period of the S&P 500 annualized returns with dividends reinvested are ~11% and this is even true for 66-96 while returns were flat from 66-81.  Hopefully most regular investors are investing with the long term in mind but statistics tell us that a lot of people invest with their emotions and sell on dips while buying back in higher.  Whenever there's a ridiculous amount of optimism or fear we're bound for a correction but set your plan and stick with it.  

bless those people!

On 12/1/2017 at 7:03 PM, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

i just maxed out my ira contribution for the year

using the next couple of weeks of craziness to make some choices about where to invest

mostly index funds

bought another amazon share today

i'm new to all of this

I would park my money with Vanguard mutual funds and let them manage it for you.  Their fee is 0.3% of your portfolio per year.

Really like them.

• 5 weeks later...

My Mom sold her Google stock in early November on the advice of her broker, who should know better. It's up 11% in the last three months.

She still made a lot of money on it though, having bought in at $250 and change. Her Amazon stock, which she will hold on to,  is up 322% since she purchased shares in 2013 at $400 and change. The high today so far is $1,299.

Dow 30,000 before 2020?? Not a crazy thought by any means.

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

How the stock market respond to "shit hole" comments? Any bump up or down? 

bonds shifted and mortgages rates changed inter-day. woke up to shit and pissed because i lost a ton for a certain customer, then there was a gnarly rally and i got it all back and then some. banks even re-priced mid-day.