• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Stock Market: The Thread

6 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Again, (and i dont know squat about this stuff), this is the kind of thing that doesnt matter in the long term, right?

Like a 401K that you still have another 15 years before you can tap, this isnt a big deal, right?

I'm no expert, but I would think you have nothing to worry about with that type of horizon. 

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

After being down by over 2% earlier, the Nasdaq is about to go green.

Volatility is ridiculous right now.

the markets have been calm for years, and the current volatility is not that out of the norm. it's only slightly above average. 

but it has moved a bit higher from a prolonged low base. i would expect it to continue for a while. 

6 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Again, (and i dont know squat about this stuff), this is the kind of thing that doesnt matter in the long term, right?

Like a 401K that you still have another 15 years before you can tap, this isnt a big deal, right?

It doesn't matter if you're looking to retire in 10, 20, 30 or 40 years.  What matters is your risk tolerance and asset allocation.  Whether you're young, old, risk averse or risk tolerant don't watch the market each day and follow your plan.  People who invest with their emotions end up trying to time the market which results in them selling low, buying high and in the long run generating lower returns than people who ride it out.  Unfortunately there's more of the former than the latter.  

1 hour ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

It doesn't matter if you're looking to retire in 10, 20, 30 or 40 years.  What matters is your risk tolerance and asset allocation.  Whether you're young, old, risk averse or risk tolerant don't watch the market each day and follow your plan.  People who invest with their emotions end up trying to time the market which results in them selling low, buying high and in the long run generating lower returns than people who ride it out.  Unfortunately there's more of the former than the latter.  

Thanks

Just checked and i lost money fo sho this week. Second time this year ive lost a good chunk. But i guess its normal and to be expected

42 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

you only "lost" if you actually sold.

The good news, that keeps me from panic, is that i dont understand how any of it works, or what the hell im invested in. I just did it to sound like an adult.

So now, as an adult, i can get away with being a cheap date with my chick because i lost in the market. She doesnt know this stuff either.

09-roll-safe.w700.h700.jpg

Strong company earnings by and large, interest rates stabilizing, strong economic growth, record low unemployment, yet the "fear index" is incredibly high. Amazon will be a cheap stock soon if this irrationality keeps up.

This tells me (but I'm no expert) that the lows are just about here for this market. 

14 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

The good news, that keeps me from panic, is that i dont understand how any of it works, or what the hell im invested in. I just did it to sound like an adult.

So now, as an adult, i can get away with being a cheap date with my chick because i lost in the market. She doesnt know this stuff either.

09-roll-safe.w700.h700.jpg

just keep buying regularly and consistently and think long term you'll be fine. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Haven't many Octobers been bad ones?    Wouldn't it thus make sense to move out of stocks on October 1, and then move back in on November 1 each year?

Obviously, the long term is the best strategy.    Never hurts though to have a 2nd plan along with it. 

not a great idea - you have to keep tax implications in mind. 

13 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

not a great idea - you have to keep tax implications in mind. 

Doesn't that depend on how the stocks are moved?    Plus, October has had some pretty wretched months over the years.    The money saved has to be greater enough than the taxes paid on the profits, granted not always of course.

What the Sam Hill created this October lemon for the whole month?    The Fed going overboard on rate hikes, instead of gradual rate hikes?