• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Leave Smith as closer?

Then it had better be Smith to Jepsen to Street, because pitching Smith and Street back-to-back negates the advantage had from pitching extremely different styles back-to-back in Jepsen and Smith.

How else has Smith retired 33 out of his past 34 batters faced?

Well, because he's good at baseball

Hmmm...not sure where you got those numbers.  Smith is 15 for 19.  He has blown 3 more saves then Street has in 6 less opportunities.

When he's the closer, he's 15 for 15, he blew 4 save when he pitches in the 7th or 8th and he has allowed 10 of the 12 inherited runners to score.

Smith has been unhittable in the 9th, not so great in 7th or 8th, so base on stats, why moves him out of the closer role?

So, they have a mindset to not give up tying/go-ahead runs whereas other pitchers don't?

No it has nothing to do with that.  Its a different mindset because of the situation.  If they mess up there is not much chance to come back from it.  If you give up the tying/go-ahead run in any inning prior then the offense can still have at least a couple chances to come back.  Its a different mentality that some pitchers can't handle.  Overall the importance may be the same, but that doesn't mean the pressure isn't higher.  I mean even as a fan you can feel the pressure of the situation in a close game in the 9th way more then the 6th, 7th, or 8th.  When the Angels are in a close game, it isn't until that last inning when the pitcher goes out to close the game that I am on the edge of my seat, completely focused, not moving for fear I will jinx something.  Imagine being the pitcher in that situation.  Its just not the same as earlier innings regardless of whether or not it still means the same.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

When he's the closer, he's 15 for 15, he blew 4 save when he pitches in the 7th or 8th and he has allowed 10 of the 12 inherited runners to score.

Smith has been unhittable in the 9th, not so great in 7th or 8th, so base on stats, why moves him out of the closer role?

Yeah I get what you are saying.  Its definitely a tough choice.  Street has been better overall and has more experience.  But Smith has been better in the 9th, although has had a few less opportunities.  I really see this as a great problem to have, especially in the playoffs.  If you end up having several close games in a row it is good to know you have two reliable lights out closers in the pen that you can alternate.  I think they should just base it on match ups.  They are both righties, but there has to be enough data on opposing hitters to know which style of pitching will be more effective.  You also have to consider that Street may have an advantage against AL hitters considering he hasn't been on an AL team since 2009 and so most AL hitters haven't seen him much if at all.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

Yeah we gave up three very good players for a set up man. This trade is nothing short of a disadter. We did not need the guy!

How are you always wrong when you agree with the organization and then wrong again when you disagree with them.  It's truly fascinating.  This was a great trade. 

Street is the closer.  End of discussion. 

Try not being rude. If you must than know what F*** your talking about. You have no idea what I was saying thus your ignorant on the knowledge if I am right or wrong. That being said just because you disagree with me doesn't mean I am wrong. It just means your arogant to think your always right.

How are you always wrong when you agree with the organization and then wrong again when you disagree with them. It's truly fascinating. This was a great trade.

Street is the closer. End of discussion.

I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned that Smith had stated he doesn't want to continue to be in the closer role. Which is probably more reason why the Angels pursued a closer.

That is not true. He has admitted from day 1 that every reliever wants to be the closer and he's no different.

However he said that he doesn't mind pitching at other times if that's what the team wants. He also thinks the job is the same.