• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Federal judge strikes down California's death penalty

"The “random few” who will be executed  “will have languished for so long on Death Row that their execution will serve no retributive or deterrent purpose and will be arbitrary,”  Carney said.

one of the problems with the administration of the death penalty here has been the ridiculous length of time it takes to finally carry out the sentence. fix that hiccup, and i see no reason not to resume executions. florida and texas (and others) seemed to have figured it out. california can, too.

"The “random few” who will be executed  “will have languished for so long on Death Row that their execution will serve no retributive or deterrent purpose and will be arbitrary,”  Carney said.

one of the problems with the administration of the death penalty here has been the ridiculous length of time it takes to finally carry out the sentence. fix that hiccup, and i see no reason not to resume executions. florida and texas (and others) seemed to have figured it out. california can, too.

I don't really have a problem with the death penalty being done away with due to how it is applied and how our court system is a joke.  However, I don't really agree with the judge's wording.  Seems presumptive to say it will have no retributive purpose.  I mean, wouldn't that be best voiced by the loved ones of the victims?

so.. due to the process taking far too long due to the legal process, the legal process has struck down the entire penalty?  this makes perfect sense and im sure was in no way agenda driven or constructed as part of a larger plan over the last few years to create an artificial reason for striking it down...    i really hope i dont need to clarify that the last line was sacrasm?

Does CA even have a death penalty?  Don't people sit on death row for like 30-50 years?  They die before they'd ever see a needle. 

Remember the Bob's Big Boy restaurant murders in December, 1980? Nine employees and two customers were herded into a walk-in refrigerator and gunned down with shotguns. Four dead, one permanently disabled.

Ricardo Rene Sanders had his appeal rejected in 1995 yet still sits on Death Row waiting for an execution date. He was sentenced in 1982. Thirty-two years and not even close to justice.

Edited by fan_since79

I am not a fan of the death penalty, but my reasons are primarily logistical and economic. Cases like the one FS79 mentioned highlight the absurdity of it all. Appeals are mandatory and take years. Waits of 20 years or more are the rule. Even after appeals have apparently run their course, lawyers frantically search for a sympathetic judge to grant yet another stay even though a couple of decades or more may have passed since sentencing. It would cost far less to just give these people life without parole and lock them up from now on.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

and yet thats what these men on death row did, they decided to kill another... so, yeah, cry me a friggin river

What they did was terrible and I believe they should spend the rest of their lives incarcerated and away from society but I don't think we have the right to murder them.

It's amusing that you put Israel and Palestine on blast for "an eye for an eye" and "retaliation" in another thread and then show indifference for something similar in this thread.

What they did was terrible and I believe they should spend the rest of their lives incarcerated and away from society but I don't think we have the right to murder them.

It's amusing that you put Israel and Palestine on blast for "an eye for an eye" and "retaliation" in another thread and then show indifference for something similar in this thread.

It's an unfortunate aspect of human nature. We tend to be more punitive than pragmatic.

Edited by Don Tomlinson

Remember the Bob's Big Boy restaurant murders in December, 1980? Nine employees and two customers were herded into a walk-in refrigerator and gunned down with shotguns. Four dead, one permanently disabled.

Ricardo Rene Sanders had his appeal rejected in 1995 yet still sits on Death Row waiting for an execution date. He was sentenced in 1982. Thirty-two years and not even close to justice.

that bloodbath was a nightmare and a half. that guy should have received the needle years ago, but this emphasizes one of the big flaws in the system.

remember also tookie and the big public outcry to rescind the death sentence on him because he was a changed man. such a long, long delay in applying the penalty gives more weight to the arguments against using the death penalty because the criminal is no longer the same person he was when he committed the crime. that just adds to the problem of carrying out the penalty the scumbag deserved.

well, you are entitled to your opinion, and thats fine, but i could not disagree more.  It isnt retaliation, its justice.  There is a huge difference.  A person must be expected to pay for their crimes or there is no deterrent to crime.  You can feel for this man and others like him if you want but i prefer to think about those whose rights he obliterated, rather than his.  As far as im concerned he forfeited his when to took them away from others. 

If you follow me on Twitter you'd know that someone put AngelsWin on blast once.