• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Whiskey

On 2/6/2018 at 10:23 PM, Brandon said:

I stared at that Costco whiskey for a minute, but don't trust it. someone tried to tell me some similar story like how their vodka is the same as grey goose

For the price, you aren’t risking that much. I’ve had some of their’s in the past and they were well worth their price.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2018 at 5:16 PM, AngelsLongBall said:

Any update??

I bought a handle of the Bulleit Rye and Bulleit Bourbon at Costco because they were on sale.  I must say I liked the rye better than the bourbon in my Manhattan, it had a certain smooth spiciness to it as opposed to the bite that bourbon can have.  That would be the basis of what I would barrel age

I love bulleit. It is super popular here in SF right now.

The update is my barrel is aging in port.  I had a cocktail party a while back and a friend brought me 3 bottles of port (I didn't have 2 liters of any one kind on me), so that was perfect timing. I'm letting it age with the port 6-8 weeks, so has a little while to go. 

Oh yeah I'm definitely using rye - agreed I like it better than bourbon in manhattans. As for which, at the same party another friend who works for woodford reserve brought me 4 bottles of great stuff including one of their master collection bourbon (which is f*cking awesome) and their straight rye. I had never tried their rye before, it was great so I might use that. It's a total experiment so I don't want to risk anything too fancy. But lot of options here.

Off topic - I have been drinking a lot of Barrel Bourbon lately.  Highly recommend. I have the batch #13 right here and man is it great. They are really releasing good stuff, winning lots of awards and it's not super expensive.

• 2 months later...

I own all kinds of whiskey but noticed I didn't have a single Irish one in my collection. That seems unacceptable to me. Costco had the 12 year Red Breast on sale. It's a bit sweeter than other's I've tried but it has a nice crisp finish. So far I'm really enjoying it.

I went into the liquor store to get some scotch and these guys were set up in there doing sampling.  Well, if someone's offering free whiskey it would be rude of me not to accept.

Quite good.  Smooth but a little spicy.  Nice finish.  

They're a Northern Colorado distillery so I'm not sure how widely available it is yet.  But good stuff.   https://www.oldelk.com/bourbon/

oldelk-bourbon.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:12 AM, Geoff said:

If anyone is into things like Baileys in their coffee or straight, this place also makes a Bourbon Cream that is outstanding. 

old-elk-distillery-nooku-bourbon-cream-b

Very interesting. I can't say I've had anything like that.  I'm going to have to look for their label around So Cal and give it a try

had something pop up on my social media feed from some bourbon association that ranked 1792 highly. pass on the regular bottle.

going to try the single barrel one next, which I think is what they were talking about if I would have read the article.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2018 at 1:45 PM, mrwicked said:

I love bulleit. It is super popular here in SF right now.

The update is my barrel is aging in port.  I had a cocktail party a while back and a friend brought me 3 bottles of port (I didn't have 2 liters of any one kind on me), so that was perfect timing. I'm letting it age with the port 6-8 weeks, so has a little while to go. 

Oh yeah I'm definitely using rye - agreed I like it better than bourbon in manhattans. As for which, at the same party another friend who works for woodford reserve brought me 4 bottles of great stuff including one of their master collection bourbon (which is f*cking awesome) and their straight rye. I had never tried their rye before, it was great so I might use that. It's a total experiment so I don't want to risk anything too fancy. But lot of options here.

Off topic - I have been drinking a lot of Barrel Bourbon lately.  Highly recommend. I have the batch #13 right here and man is it great. They are really releasing good stuff, winning lots of awards and it's not super expensive.

Update on this fun experiment.

So I cured my oak barrel in port for 4 months, rotating it every week or so to make sure it aged evenly. I was going to do 2 months but f*ck it, I let it ride and I'm glad I did.

The idea is to kind of fake a barrel that was used to make port. I figured the port would taste really gnar and oaky after. Or worse taste like the port you open for a party, close up and somehow forget about for a year - so when you do open it it tastes like nasty, acidic booze fruit juice. So I didn't have high expectations for the port itself. But I kept tasting it along the process and it was pretty good, but man when I poured it out the other day after 4 months (through cheese cloth and a Chemex coffee strainer), holy sh*t is it f*cking good. I mean just really smooth now; very very tasty.

My 2 liters of port went in, and 1.5 liters came out. ;) F*cking angel's share man (and me sneaking tastes).

So, into the oak barrel then went the manhattan ingredients. I went with one of my all time favorite ryes, Willett Family Estate 3 year. It's high proof (106), which is important since it's going to get calmed down by the barrel. It's very highly rated yet not too pricey, but can be hard to get. But I'll be god damned if I didn't find a bevmo that had it down the peninsula. Total score. 

http://whiskeyreviewer.com/2017/11/willett-family-estate-3-year-old-rye-whiskey-review-110117/

That plus the only vermouth that matters for Manhattans IMO, Antica Formula.

http://www.carpano.com/en/prodotto/antica-formula-2/

For bitters I just used the old faithful angostura.

Now letting it age, should be ready in 5-8 weeks (about the time I'll have some celebrating to do). 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...