• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

A's Acquire Samardzija and Hammel

Yeah, the trade is strange for both sides. Castro is signed through 2019, with a team option for 2020.  Weird.

they'll most likely trade at least one of castro and baez.   Now, or this offseason, might be a good time to sell high on baez.  he does have a lot of power, but his minor league numbers are a bit troubling below the surface.  Dare I say, brandon wood-like.   He's stil has a lot of rep, and is rated highly, however.  So they could still get something decent for him (like we should have done back in 06,07)

this helps them tremendously.  Yes their starters have done alright thus far, but they have a few guys in there that aren't sure things and could be due for some serious regression.  Well they did, before this trade.

also, who really cares what it "tells the guys."   If they have the mentality of children they wouldn't have even made it to MLB, let alone succeed.  

im sorry, but i would need some backup to that, forgive if i dont just take your word.

Statistically, he will not be significantly better than what they have.. he is not in my mind an ace or someone thats a lock in the post.  That isnt knocking him, thats just based on the numbers and the fact that he does not have any more post season experience than the guys they have so...

Iif you think the rest has no meaning.. well im glad you aren't a coach

The A's and Rangers have traded away a lot of young talent the last few years. Although I fully expect Oakland to win the division and be good again next year, and that Texas will rebound next year, franchise success is cyclical. It therefore wouldn't surprise me to see the Angels resume their position as the powerhouse of the AL West come 2016.

The A's and Rangers have traded away a lot of young talent the last few years. Although I fully expect Oakland to win the division and be good again next year, and that Texas will rebound next year, franchise success is cyclical. It therefore wouldn't surprise me to see the Angels resume their position as the powerhouse of the AL West come 2016.

with albert pujols leading the way in his Rascal

so what you are saying is you have nothing to back up your position.. ok, got it, fair enough

do you really want me to post all of the data that supports my and many others who know what they are talking about position, and the very little that supports yours?   Really not interested in that.

Texas still boasts one of the better farm systems in the league (it took a small hit with Profar's promotion) and while I don't expect all these minor league players to contribute, they can be used to improve the major league team in the near future. Beane's window is a little smaller and he's going all in this year because he's used all his minor league bargaining chips. I'm pretty sure this trade secured their farm system as the worst in the majors. 

Edited by sneaky_flute

i kinda like that they did this.. overall to me it does not make them better.  i would have thought they would have gone for more offense to stop relying on miracles...

Considering they're replacing Brad Mills and one of Tommy Milone and Jesse Chavez(both of whom have performed well thusfar but come with reasons to be skeptical of they ability to sustain it) with Samardzija and Hammel, I'm not sure how this doesn't make them better AT ALL.

yeah, beating a 7-6 team is as pressurized a situation as taking the mound in a playoff game.

Notre Dame was about to blow their chance at a title to an unranked UCLA team in South Bend.

I don't think he's some ice cold warrior, but he's used to playing on a big stage for a polarizing team.

That said, I hope he bombs in Oakland.

He has 1 inning of post season experience, 5 years ago... and a 9.0 ERA in that one inning.  Tell me again how this makes them stronger in the post season?
I mean if we were talking about a guy that was proven in the post.. i would buy that,  but were not.
He has never played any real pressure baseball in virtually any season he has played.

Hes a god pitcher, please dont misunderstand my point... saying he will help them in the post or down the playoff stretch is assumption, there is no factual data to back that up.. none. 

If Samardzija is the ace that we are told repeatedly he is, the Cubs were raped in this deal. 

Well putting aside the fact that he's not an ace, the Cubs got a guy who was in line to be a Top 10 prospect in MLB, one of the As other top prospects, and a possible starter who could step in now and has 5 years of team control left.

But yes, WORST TRADE OF THE YEAR

Considering they're replacing Brad Mills and one of Tommy Milone and Jesse Chavez(both of whom have performed well thusfar but come with reasons to be skeptical of they ability to sustain it) with Samardzija and Hammel, I'm not sure how this doesn't make them better AT ALL.

Because everyone of those guys has gotten it done so far.  Even if you assume they will decline, and these guys will continue putting up those numbers... they stay about the same. 

Again this isn't a Clemens to the yanks type of deal...  its a lateral move for the most part if you look at the numbers.  Why do you assume the guys they have would decline and he will be better?  If anything their track record suggest otherwise.