• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

This platoon is getting ridiculous

That will come in handy the next time we play Durham or Columbus.

Come on dude, you know that is a bogus argument. If some people are going to point to Calhouns splits this hear (in what is a very small sample size), then it makes sense to look at his minor league numbers too (which probably are more indicative of his abilities anyway, based on the much larger sample size).

I can't believe that we are making an argument that a platoon is ridiculous based on a month's worth of stats.  

Cowgill generally performs well against lefties.  Calhoun most likely would as well.  There is likely no clear separation.

If one got the start vs. a lefty over the other, I would see it and move on.  Personally, I would rather see Calhoun play but I get that Cowgill needs to stay fresh.  He has shown this year that he seems to be better when playing more.  

That said, I just don't see it as that big of a deal either way.  

Ridiculous was Ibanez continuing to get at bats.

Cowgill getting at bats vs. lefties over Calhoun?  Not my favorite thing in the world, but meh.  Whatever.

Finally someone who has common sense.

Cowgill deserves at bats.

vs. lefties, Cron, Pujols, Calhoun, Cowgill, and Hamilton all deserve to start. So who sits?

Is Calhoun vs. a lefty really an upgrade over Cowgill? Does anyone really think that Pujols is gonna sit vs. a lefty to get a lefty at bats?

This is about 20th on the list of ticky tack bullshit things I find objectionable in regards to Scioscia's managing.

So should I nit pick and talk about Calhoun's for 94 ABs. It's called an average for a reason.

Cowgill is hitting .247/.287/.393/.680 last 94 PA's (not counting todays 0-3) and 16 of the 23 starting pitchers in those games were lefties.

He started the season well but has cooled off significantly and not worth giving significant PA's even vs lefties.

I can't believe that we are making an argument that a platoon is ridiculous based on a month's worth of stats.  

Cowgill generally performs well against lefties.  Calhoun most likely would as well.  There is likely no clear separation.

If one got the start vs. a lefty over the other, I would see it and move on.  Personally, I would rather see Calhoun play but I get that Cowgill needs to stay fresh.  He has shown this year that he seems to be better when playing more.  

That said, I just don't see it as that big of a deal either way.  

Ridiculous was Ibanez continuing to get at bats.

Cowgill getting at bats vs. lefties over Calhoun?  Not my favorite thing in the world, but meh.  Whatever.

I agree with this myself. I'm not up in arms over the decision. It's not what I prefer, but whatever

The minor leagues is still baseball. The game doesn't change, if he can hit lefties in the minors, he probably can do it in the majors too. Small sample sizes are just that. This guy is an above average hitter against lefties as well.

cowgill is a really nice bench player on this team. That's what he should be, its doing a disservice to Calhoun and the team as well to have him sitting half the games. How will he ever "learn" how to hit lefties if he never sees them? Makes no sense

I probably shouldn't have said "ridiculous", and I never said that Cowgill shouldn't get at bats. Of course he should, especially with the season he is having. Nevertheless, calhoun is the better player, an everyday type and much more upside. You guys said it yourself, the difference wether cowgill or calhoun hit vs a lefty is very minimal. Yes in terms of production its very minimal, but when you want a player to progress it makes a difference being platooned vs virtually every lefty rather than being occasionally benched to rest up.