• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

This platoon is getting ridiculous

I dont understand Kole sitting 3 days in a row with 3 multi hit games in his last 4 including a 3 hit game. Along with 2 homeruns, maybe 3 had Eaton not robbed him. I as free that Cowgill has been doing great this year but look at his career numbers, he is a prototypical 4th outfielder, opposed to someone who could be a decent piece to the Angels future in calhoun.

That being saidddd, I take no credit away from Cowgill, great improvement and definately deserves playing time, but 3 in a row? Vs mediocre lefties? While calhoun is hot?

Cowgill deserves at bats.  

vs. lefties, Cron, Pujols, Calhoun, Cowgill, and Hamilton all deserve to start.  So who sits?

Is Calhoun vs. a lefty really an upgrade over Cowgill?  Does anyone really think that Pujols is gonna sit vs. a lefty to get a lefty at bats?  

This is about 20th on the list of ticky tack bullshit things I find objectionable in regards to Scioscia's managing.  

Pujols

vs. RHP: .258/.314/.485

vs. LHP: .245/.294/.402

Should he be platooned?

Hamilton too?

that's the point.  none of them 'deserve' to be platooned relative to their current or previous numbers.  Someone has to sit.  To make an argument that Calhoun vs. a lefty starter makes the team better is marginal.  

complaining about Ibanez being in the lineup?  Sure

complaining about Pujols batting 3rd?  Ok I guess.

complaining about this?  meh.  

pick your spots people.  

that's the point.  none of them 'deserve' to be platooned relative to their current or previous numbers.  Someone has to sit.  To make an argument that Calhoun vs. a lefty starter makes the team better is marginal.  

complaining about Ibanez being in the lineup?  Sure

complaining about Pujols batting 3rd?  Ok I guess.

complaining about this?  meh.  

pick your spots people.  

Cowgill is hitting .247/.287/.393/.680 last 94 PA's (not counting todays 0-3) and 16 of the 23 starting pitchers in those games were lefties.

He started the season well but has cooled off significantly and not worth giving significant PA's even vs lefties.

Calhoun has always hit lefties.  Last season in AAA he hit .393 .455 1.097 against LHP before he was called up and .340 .389 .889 against them after he was called up.  Its a platoon for the sake of having a platoon.  Kole should be starting every game in RF regardless of the pitcher.  He's not Brandon Moss.

Edited by mulwin444

Cowgill is hitting .247/.287/.393/.680 last 94 PA's (not counting todays 0-3) and 16 of the 23 starting pitchers in those games were lefties.

He started the season well but has cooled off significantly and not worth giving significant PA's even vs lefties.

Yeah, it was fine when Cowgill was doing well and CAlhoun was working his way back from missing a month....but now, not so much. Calhoun's one of the hottest hitters in MLB over the past 30 days while Cowgill hasn't hit well

Calhoun isn't the type of player who should be benched for 3 straight games

he's got an .864 ops vs. lefties for the season.  He should get at bats somewhere.  

I am not trying to get you to like Scioscia.  I don't care whether you do or not.  To use this as an example that MS is incompetent is a massive stretch.  

Maybe your opinion is that Calhoun should play over Cowgill and that's fine.  In general, I actually agree.  To somehow insist that it's not acceptable for Cowgill to get a few atbats over him is absurd.  

Yeah, it was fine when Cowgill was doing well and CAlhoun was working his way back from missing a month....but now, not so much. Calhoun's one of the hottest hitters in MLB over the past 30 days while Cowgill hasn't hit well

Calhoun isn't the type of player who should be benched for 3 straight games

maybe he's that hot because he hasn't had to face lefties.  

he's got an .864 ops vs. lefties for the season.  He should get at bats somewhere.  

I am not trying to get you to like Scioscia.  I don't care whether you do or not.  To use this as an example that MS is incompetent is a massive stretch.  

Maybe your opinion is that Calhoun should play over Cowgill and that's fine.  In general, I actually agree.  To somehow insist that it's not acceptable for Cowgill to get a few atbats over him is absurd.  

I said significant PA's as in all of the starts against lefties. He's fine as a 4th outfielder and he can start only vs occasional lefties when someone in the OF needs a day off or if they want to give Pujols a day off or Hamilton DH.

maybe he's that hot because he hasn't had to face lefties.  

Perhaps, though Calhoun has never really showed a real weakness vs LHP throughout his career. He hit over .340 vs LHP last season I believe

My stance is that Cowgill should start over Calhoun or Hamilton vs the likes of Sale, Price, Lester, etc...those elite lefties, but Joe Saunders, Brett Oberholtzer, etc...Calhoun shouldn't be benched just because they are on the mound.

Calhoun shouldn't have been benched for 3 straight games IMO. HE's too good of a player for this team to sit out for that many games in a row.

Edited by bloodbrother

Perhaps, though Calhoun has never really showed a real weakness vs LHP throughout his career. He hit over .340 vs LHP last season I believe

My stance is that Cowgill should start over Calhoun or Hamilton vs the likes of Sale, Price, Lester, etc...those elite lefties, but Joe Saunders, Brett Oberholtzer, etc...Calhoun shouldn't be benched just because they are on the mound.

Calhoun shouldn't have been benched for 3 straight games IMO. HE's too good of a player for this team to sit out for that many games in a row.

Cowgill .338/.388/.527/.915 vs finesse pitchers this season.