• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Pujols since April 27

Here's my thought on RBI and I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for this opinion. Any given year RBI are not a great indicator of someone's ability but rather their place in the line up. However I'm guessing very seldom is there a player that year after year racks up a high number of RBI that isn't a valuable player.

Here's my thought on RBI and I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for this opinion. Any given year RBI are not a great indicator of someone's ability but rather their place in the line up. However I'm guessing very seldom is there a player that year after year racks up a high number of RBI that isn't a valuable player.

Makes sense to me.

Trout has 1 more RBI than Donaldson. Donaldson OPS? 778

The further removed any particular outcome is from being attributable to just your own skill level, the less useful that outcome is in determining the usefulness of an individual player. 

Being able to get an RBI is dependent on several factors.  Granted, there might be some skill involved, but it's generally a consequence of several things that are also not related to just one guy.  

If one were able to control or normalize all those other factors, then that stat might help you.  

Edited by Dochalo

Like most on here, im not big on counting stats, preffering rate stats. Im trying to learn the more advanced ones.

To be fair though, pujols is on pace for 30 plus home runs, and 100 or so driven in. Thats not bad considering how down offense is.

Agreed, horrible contract. Agreed his rbi are due to trouhoun, and he needs to be moved down in the order. Hoping he can get his on base skills back up.

I still watch when he comes up to bat.  Yes, it's frustrating at times, but baseball in general can be frustrating at times.  I still look at any glimpse of his former self as a possible start to something good.  He's not going anywhere, so I might as well keep watching and hoping. I doubt he's ever going to be what he once was - but if he can help this team win, I'll live with it. 

I have issues with what appears to me to be lack of leadership, but that's for another time.

In the meantime, there's so many other compelling stories on this team to focus on.  I'm enjoying the season despite AP's streaks of under performance.

How bout we run through this hot streak of his then we can go back to talking about moving him down. It's not like this team has a bunch of prototypical number 3 hitters waiting for their chance. If we had a lead off hitter candidate not named Calhoun, then I would say bat Calhoun 2nd and Trout 3rd, but that isn't the case. All of Pujol's replacements in the three hole all have just as many flaws as Albert. So unless you want to see Aybar or Howie batting first or second this really is a non-issue right now.

^as far as leadership, I would love to see him put his ego aside and move himself down. I think he knows its time..

Offering to make a decision that isn't his to make isn't leadership.

Whether anyone on this board wants to admit it, Pujols fits best behind Trout. If you want evidence then look at the second half of last season when Trout walked constantly. You see a slumping overpaid has been. The people who pitch to him see the greatest hitter of his generation batting behind the greatest player of this generation. I like the idea of Hamilton in between them because it gets him more fastballs to hit and gives Pujols and Trout the one batter separation they had when they were a dynamic duo in '12 but these decisions belong to the manager and not the players.

We know Pujols by now right? The first year he was here, I don't think those numbers were a result of him adjusting to the AL. That's just who he is. He's going to be streaky, but assuming he avoids major health issues we'll see a final line of .280/.330 40+ DB 30ish HR.

It's good but not his golden age. Also, as long as Mike Scioscia is the manager, Albert Pujols will bat in the middle of this lineup.

With the way the team is constructed I don't see us getting that prototypical lead off hitter for a few years. All of our positions are set for the coming years except third base and I don't see another Figgins walking through that door anytime soon.

The one argument I could see for batting Hamilton 3rd and Pujols 4th is that Hamilton would see more fastballs. If they continued to throw that off speed crap to Hamilton then Trout would steal second and third.

Your last sentence is specifically relevant IMO.  We have all heard that Pujols doesn't like runners on the move when he is up to bat.  If you put Hamilton in the third spot then you give Trout a chance to run.  Even if it is only against RHP.  Just a thought.

I do agree however that there isn't a clear lineup decision for #3 unless you consider putting Calhoun/Hamilton/Trout/Pujols/Cron/Kendrick/Aybar 1-7.  Against LHP then maybe you do Calhoun/Trout/Pujols/Hamilton 1-4... assuming Scioscia would start Calhoun against a lefty.  Otherwise it is Cowgill.

Thank you. I have been trying to say the same thing. No one has suggested a better alternative to Pujols batting 3rd. Hamilton is just as steaky as we are currently seeing. Cron would be a credible replacement if this production had a larger sample size. I am willing to bet Pujols will have a better BA and OPS than Cron by season end.

we really don't have a replacement. I do like your idea of Calhoun bat 2 and Trout 3rd if we had a leadoff hitter.

How bout we run through this hot streak of his then we can go back to talking about moving him down. It's not like this team has a bunch of prototypical number 3 hitters waiting for their chance. If we had a lead off hitter candidate not named Calhoun, then I would say bat Calhoun 2nd and Trout 3rd, but that isn't the case. All of Pujol's replacements in the three hole all have just as many flaws as Albert. So unless you want to see Aybar or Howie batting first or second this really is a non-issue right now.

Good points here. It also would set up the R L R batting.

The one argument I could see for batting Hamilton 3rd and Pujols 4th is that Hamilton would see more fastballs. If they continued to throw that off speed crap to Hamilton then Trout would steal second and third.