• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Consumer Reports: Best and worst fast-food restaurants in America

The Hat is great.  I grew up on The Hat in Temple City and In N Out in El Monte.

i've been to that Hat location, but only once. wasn't able to finish the three-inch thick cheese sandwich or the 18 lbs. of french fries they put in the grocery bag with the sandwich.

Maybe Stradling can shed some light on this ... why do fountain soda drinks have a noticeable difference in taste between fast food chains? 

Coca-Cola products seem lean at McDonalds, neutral (good) at In-N-Out, and stronger at Del Taco and Carl's.  I like Pepsi products too, but for some reason they seem really potent at Taco Bell.  Either potent, or there's something else added or removed because it's not the same as Pepsi from other places. 

I don't know if it's Pepsi in general, or just Pepsi at Taco Bell, but I can't eat there and have a Pepsi/Mountain Dew/Dr Pepper without feeling lousy for an hour or two afterwards. 

I can only speak on our behalf MPH. So with INO because of our volume, when we get pop heads from coca cola, before we install them we tinker with them to make them last longer and more consistent. We check out "brix" ratio (soda to syrup ratio) ever four weeks to make sure they are 5-1 or 4.5-1 for the drinks that require that ratio. Other companies probably either tweak it get get better usages or they don't check it at all because of complacency. The other thing that could happen is the other companies check their soda ratios but do so incorrectly, which is difficult to do if you have the tools.

Every burger I had from Habit, which was maybe 5 or 6, was overcooked and bland.  The fries are just plain steak fries.  I wasn't impressed at all.

You must be thinking of some place else, they don't serve steak fries.

I don't think I've ever been to a Portillos. I went to an Al's Beef recently. It was good but I'm not sure Italian Beef is my cup of tea. I prefer something The Hat or Philly's Best for warm sandwiches. But I would certainly give Portillos a try.

I tried Al's Beef in in Chino and it is no where near as good as Portillos.

Maybe Stradling can shed some light on this ... why do fountain soda drinks have a noticeable difference in taste between fast food chains? 

Coca-Cola products seem lean at McDonalds, neutral (good) at In-N-Out, and stronger at Del Taco and Carl's.  I like Pepsi products too, but for some reason they seem really potent at Taco Bell.  Either potent, or there's something else added or removed because it's not the same as Pepsi from other places. 

I don't know if it's Pepsi in general, or just Pepsi at Taco Bell, but I can't eat there and have a Pepsi/Mountain Dew/Dr Pepper without feeling lousy for an hour or two afterwards. 

Mountain Dew definitely tastes better at Taco Bell than most other places that have it.

I don't think I've ever been to a Portillos. I went to an Al's Beef recently. It was good but I'm not sure Italian Beef is my cup of tea. I prefer something The Hat or Philly's Best for warm sandwiches. But I would certainly give Portillos a try.

Portillo's beef sandwiches are so damn good. I visited Chicago a few years ago and my buddy that lived there told me to try them. I found out they have locations in Buena Park and Moreno Valley out here, and I visit the one in BP at least every other month. I got a guy that I used to work with hooked on them, too. I haven't had an Italian beef sandwich anywhere but Portillo's..I will have to try one somewhere else one of these days.

Have you ever tried Cook's Tortas, about 3/4 mile north of The Hat on Atlantic? It's fantastic. Parking lot full at 11:30 last time I went

Cooks is awesome.  Same owner had Dorados just up the road.  Killer ceviche.  Sucks that it closed.  

He also owns guisados - taco joint with a few locations.  awesome. 

Nate - if you get a chance, try Eddie Martini's steakhouse outside of milwaukee.  Wauwatosa I think.  Also, if you are looking to drops some cash, Sanford is incredible.  One of the best restaurants in the country.  

What do you think about kopps and culvers butter burgers?  Kopps is great imo.  

If you ever get back to arcadia, Din tai fung has the best dumplings on the planet.  

For those of you who want the best Italian Beef, it's all about Johnnies in elmwood park outside of chicago.  

The habit isn't bad in a pinch although I still prefer in n out, and my once a year tommy's fix  

If you like the hat and dig a good pastrami, tops in pasadena is good, but take a run by a place in eagle rock called the Oinkster.  So damn good.  

I'm surprised so many of you have tried the Habit.

It was a Santa Barbara secret up until a few years ago.

They opened one by my office next to the LB Airport. Try the fried green beans. Yummm.

As for delicious meat sandwiches, you can't go wrong with Philippes in LA.

1. roasted meat

2. french bread

3. meat juice

And they have homemade pie for dessert!!