• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Ebola "out of control" in West Africa/Texas Maybe Cleveland?

How to get 5 weeks off of work.

Step 1) take a week off to visit Africa

Step 2) return to US and take a week off complaining about the flu

Step 3) visit hospital, tell them you have the flu and went to Africa

enjoy an additional three weeks of rest and relaxation in the private Ebola suite while protocols are being examined

Someone asked why the CDC (and most leading etymologists) do not support a travel ban

Tom Frieden, the physician with training in infectious diseases who directs the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said he expected there would be increasing calls for travel restrictions. But doing so would make it harder to get volunteer medical personnel to those countries if people won’t be able to leave once they arrive, he said in a conference call with reporters on Thursday.

“And because of that, it will enable the disease to spread more widely there and ultimately, potentially spread more to other countries in Africa and become more of a risk to us here,” Frieden said.

U.S. Rep. David Price, a Democrat from Chapel Hill, said he accepted Frieden’s assessment. Price is the ranking Democrat on the Homeland Security subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee.

“The CDC believes travel restrictions would be counterproductive to eradicating Ebola in West Africa and could lead to greater loss of life. Politicizing the issue is irresponsible because it interferes with the ability of medical professionals to mitigate the threat of Ebola’s spread to the United States,” Price said. “When it comes to serious matters of global health, I will defer to medical experts rather than politicians.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/03/4204558_more-republicans-call-for-travel.html?rh=1

Edited by red321

Wow they were able to find somebody who doesn't think Frieden should be fired.

I've heard this explanation before but obviously if there is a transportation issue we could have military and/or charter flights to transport personnel and equipment to Africa.  It's not like we have to keep all the commercial routes in service.

Someone asked why the CDC (and most leading etymologists) do not support a travel ban

Tom Frieden, the physician with training in infectious diseases who directs the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said he expected there would be increasing calls for travel restrictions. But doing so would make it harder to get volunteer medical personnel to those countries if people won’t be able to leave once they arrive, he said in a conference call with reporters on Thursday.

“And because of that, it will enable the disease to spread more widely there and ultimately, potentially spread more to other countries in Africa and become more of a risk to us here,” Frieden said.

U.S. Rep. David Price, a Democrat from Chapel Hill, said he accepted Frieden’s assessment. Price is the ranking Democrat on the Homeland Security subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee.

“The CDC believes travel restrictions would be counterproductive to eradicating Ebola in West Africa and could lead to greater loss of life. Politicizing the issue is irresponsible because it interferes with the ability of medical professionals to mitigate the threat of Ebola’s spread to the United States,” Price said. “When it comes to serious matters of global health, I will defer to medical experts rather than politicians.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/03/4204558_more-republicans-call-for-travel.html?rh=1

Completely reasonable. Maybe only allow certified doctors and nurses to travel to and from...

Wow they were able to find somebody who doesn't think Frieden should be fired.

I've heard this explanation before but obviously if there is a transportation issue we could have military and/or charter flights to transport personnel and equipment to Africa.  It's not like we have to keep all the commercial routes in service.

Outside of the shit stirrers on Fox News and the right wing messaging puppet show it's not hard to find people who don't think the CDC director should be fired because a private hospital ****ed up the first case of Ebola in the US.

It would be nice if this country let scientists and experts do their job rather than find microphone and attempt to display their vast display of panic politics. It's starting to become a pattern. "I'm not a scientist...so allow me to just make some shit up...but it's ok...because I'm not a scientist".

And for those people who are calling for an Ebola czar....they should stick their fingers in a door jam and slam the door. Ignoring the irony of the people who complained the loudest about Czars in the first place...We already have the position of Ebola Czar...it's called the Surgeon General...anyone have any idea why their isn't a Surgeon General at the moment? Give you a hint...filibuster and the NRA.

Or maybe because Obama should have chosen a different candidate instead of picking one he knew would cause a ruckus.  

Surgeon General should be pretty non-politicized but that isn't what modern government has decided.  Both sides think they can stick it to the other and damn the consequences.

Also, the CDC has screwed the pooch on this.  First, they should have been on ground zero in Dallas immediately when the guy was first diagnosed.  Second, they never should have given the nod to the second nurse taking that flight.  No way.  

Or maybe because Obama should have chosen a different candidate instead of picking one he knew would cause a ruckus.  

Surgeon General should be pretty non-politicized but that isn't what modern government has decided.  Both sides think they can stick it to the other and damn the consequences.

Also, the CDC has screwed the pooch on this.  First, they should have been on ground zero in Dallas immediately when the guy was first diagnosed.  Second, they never should have given the nod to the second nurse taking that flight.  No way.  

MT re: SG...laugh...the Surgeon General was "controversial" because the person nominated favored gun control legislation. The NRA ground the nomination to a halt because of that.

I would agree the CDC response has been less than stellar, the second nurse traveling was downright stupid. I think you have a bigger issue re: first response when the hospital itself made numerous mistakes, including sending the blood testing panel via standard procedures. Folks can't have it both ways...you can yell for privatization of things and then go ape shit when private institutions screw up and then you point the finger at government institutions. Not saying you are doing that...just shaking my head how this has turned in to a let's see how we can blame government crusade.

MT re: SG...laugh...the Surgeon General was "controversial" because the person nominated favored gun control legislation. The NRA ground the nomination to a halt because of that.

I would agree the CDC response has been less than stellar, the second nurse traveling was downright stupid. I think you have a bigger issue re: first response when the hospital itself made numerous mistakes, including sending the blood testing panel via standard procedures. Folks can't have it both ways...you can yell for privatization of things and then go ape shit when private institutions screw up and then you point the finger at government institutions. Not saying you are doing that...just shaking my head how this has turned in to a let's see how we can blame government crusade.

Yeah, I don't really want to blame anyone.  It doesn't really solve the issue.  I just want to know that there is a handle on this thing.  He has already admitted that they should have been in Dallas much sooner.  If this isn't exactly what the CDC was created for, I don't know what is.

Yeah, I don't really want to blame anyone. It doesn't really solve the issue. I just want to know that there is a handle on this thing. He has already admitted that they should have been in Dallas much sooner. If this isn't exactly what the CDC was created for, I don't know what is.

Whoever gave that nurse the ok to hop on a plane after showing a fever should be fired. The action was a complete disregard of common sense.

Felt like I was reading a Michael Crichton novel

Here's a book that left an impression on me about twenty years ago:

http://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-hot-zone-richard-preston/1120492908?ean=9780385479561

It was going to be made into a film, but Outbreak beat them to the punch. Unsurprisingly, they just announced a mini series is going to be made.