• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Ebola "out of control" in West Africa/Texas Maybe Cleveland?

People are reacting as though this is going to turn into some sort of modern day plague here, when it just hasn't done that kind of damage. This is a story being way over-sensationalized in the media. We're going to be fine. I wouldn't be shocked if 10, 20, or 100 people here are eventually infected, but the mortality rate will almost certainly be lower than in West Africa, and it will never pose a threat comparable to much more common ailments.

Don, Cancer is not contagious. That is why your statement was awfully stupid, you are comparing a disease that is confined and claims one victim to a contagion that can claim an exponential number of victims that in turn have the same potential.

What makes you think we're not, generally speaking? Are ridiculous amounts of money not spent trying to combat cancer?

In terms of actual response, you're absolutely right. We pour tons of money and effort into cancer research and treatment. Maybe it's just living in a red state, but I've been so frustrated by the recent things I've heard here in the Midwest akin to, "Oh no! It's coming for us. How can we possibly protect ourselves?" People here are acting like the freaking apocalypse has arrived, when it's a relatively small threat to us.

Don, Cancer is not contagious. That is why your statement was awfully stupid, you are comparing a disease that is confined and claims one victim to a contagion that can claim an exponential number of victims that in turn have the same potential.

I understand that, but you're still way more likely to be diagnosed with cancer tomorrow than Ebola.

I understand that, but you're still way more likely to be diagnosed with cancer tomorrow than Ebola.

true, but if the ebola virus starts spreading, it has the potential to easily surpass the number of cancer victims. why not err on the side of great caution so that it doesn't get out of control? this is certainly the time to throw all the resources we can at it to make sure it doesn't get any kind of foothold here.

true, but if the ebola virus starts spreading, it has the potential to easily surpass the number of cancer victims. why not err on the side of great caution so that it doesn't get out of control? this is certainly the time to throw all the resources we can at it to make sure it doesn't get any kind of foothold here.

It should definitely be addressed. No doubt about that. It's just not going to be the apocalyptic killer people are making it out to be. At least not in the US. If we shut down every hospital in the US and opened our borders completely, it could possibly have the potential to kill hundreds of thousands or millions here, but as long as we follow responsible medical practices, it should be a pretty minor event here.

I'm with Don. This panic is completely overblown. This disease doesn't worry me at all. In almost a year this pandemic has killed 4,000 in countries with populations that total over 44 million (that's if we don't include Nigeria). These are literally some of the world's worst countries when out comes to health care infrastructure and hygiene routines. And still in a year this big bad virus has killed 0.00009% of the population. In the worst countries.

You can board up your doors and windows. Don't mind me when I call you crazy.

Edited by HaloMagic

Sorry, I just think we should be more concerned about cancer as a threat to us and our loved ones than Ebola. Obviously, one is contagious and the other is not, but we're freaking out over something that hasn't really had a big impact, and is pretty treatable with a good health care infrastructure.

There are lots of resources working on cancer treatments.  Untold multiple billions of dollars are spent on cancer treatments.

So your loved ones have that going for them.

In the meantime let's spend a little energy on the Ebola outbreak.

I don't agree with you guys who think this isn't a big risk. The more I think about it, the more I think it could go bad if it gets even a little bit out of control.

Up to a 21 day incubation period. It appears you can function for 2-4 days while you're contagious. The resources needed to deal with a good size outbreak. People's propensity to lie, work sick, and deny the obvious. So many places on Earth where this will spiral out of control (Which can allow it to carry on for an extended period).

Until I see a significant decrease in cases, I'm not buying the government hype that this is easy to handle. People, as a group, are stupider and more self destructive than intelligent people give them credit for.

I don't agree with you guys who think this isn't a big risk. The more I think about it, the more I think it could go bad if it gets even a little bit out of control.

Up to a 21 day incubation period. It appears you can function for 2-4 days while you're contagious. The resources needed to deal with a good size outbreak. People's propensity to lie, work sick, and deny the obvious. So many places on Earth where this will spiral out of control (Which can allow it to carry on for an extended period).

Until I see a significant decrease in cases, I'm not buying the government hype that this is easy to handle. People, as a group, are stupider and more self destructive than intelligent people give them credit for.

It's out of control in Africa and 4000 people have died in a whole year. Too much is being made of this 21 day incubation period. How about 365 days? Edited by HaloMagic

It's not that huge of a deal for a country with legit resources to treat it. Africa flat out doesn't even have enough beds to isolate people in. That's why it's a threat there. I highly doubt anyone in America dies from this disease. On top of that, this is not that easily passed from one person to another. Body fluids have to be passed, so I don't see a plague situation developing here at all

It's out of control in Africa and 4000 people have died in a whole year. Too much is being made of this 21 day incubation period. How about 365 days?

I don't know all the facts, but haven't most of the deaths been recent (as this thing builds)? If so, I'd like to see what the death totals are 3 months from now. I'd be surprised if they've only gone up to 5000.

Oh, and the incubation period is only one factor in the equation. No big deal by itself. But it makes it easier for this to spread farther and more difficult/expensive to contain.

It's no factor individually, but the combined effect that concerns me. I'd be interested in the likelihood of this dying out like most flues. It doesn't seem to be following that course. 

Edited by deepdrive

Spain has outbreak's 1st known case of contracting Ebola outside of Africa

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/06/health/ebola-us/index.html

(CNN) -- A nurse's assistant in Spain is the first person known to have contracted Ebola outside of Africa in the current outbreak.

Spanish Health Minister Ana Mato announced Monday that a test confirmed the assistant has the virus.

The woman had helped treat a Spanish missionary and a Spanish priest, both of whom had contracted Ebola in West Africa.

Both died after returning to Spain.