• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Time to End the Cam Bedrosian Experiment

Bedrosian was so effective in AA because he was hitting his spots.  In fact he was dominant.  In his first couple of outings you saw it, when he kept the ball at the knees on the outer half and was spitting 95 mph heat, the ball was jumping on hitters and he was looking good. 

Bedrock doesn't need more time in the minors, he needs proper instruction to help him refine his mechanics and find the strike zone, the same as Cory Rasmus, Kevin Jepsen, Michael Kohn, David Carpenter and every other freakin' reliever this organization has outside of Michael Morin.  

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

Maybe my memory is faulty but wasn't Cam Bedrosian to answer to all that ailed the Angels bullpen a few weeks ago?

Didn't everyone want Jepsen released because you were so sure Bedrosian was ready?

Right on Jeff - that is exactly right.  Isn't second guessing after the fact rather easy?  And what if Swisher misses that meatball, the whole day changes.  I liken it to the scene in the movie Promethius, where the robot guy says "Big things have small beginnings."

Edited by tomsred

Maybe my memory is faulty but wasn't Cam Bedrosian to answer to all that ailed the Angels bullpen a few weeks ago?

Didn't everyone want Jepsen released because you were so sure Bedrosian was ready?

He was lighting up the minors so why not? Obviously he is not ready/not being put in the right situations

Cam will be fine although he's clearly not the answer we hoped he would be right away.  He looks nervous to me more than anything.  He was dominating in the minors at a level that was beyond good and he had to be given a shot.  But the fact remains they still need that guy to step in at the back of the bullpen.  

Jepsen had a long way to go to regain trust relative to what we've seen from him over the last five years and kudos to him and the team for trying something that has worked.  But I think being a bit skeptical was quite fair relative to his prior performance and the fact that he had to reinvent himself with a new arm angle.  Frankly, I'm still a little uneasy when he takes the bump, but he's performed better than what we have otherwise and has earned a chance to be more of a go to guy.  

Rasmus is smoke and mirrors still as far as I am concerned. DDLR is broken.  Maronde isn't just broken, he's been shattered into a thousand pieces.  Kohn can't throw strikes.  Still.  Frieri can't throw quality strikes and has had years to develop a second pitch but to no avail.  

The bullpen lacks talent yes, but in my opinion, the talent that is there isn't being developed to the extent it could, and isn't being put in it's best position to succeed.  So some of this is on the GM, some on the manager, some on the coaches, and some on the players themselves.  

Edited by Dochalo

I'm not an expert on mechanics, but I an tell you this, he's throwing across his body slightly more and I think his release point has dropped maybe an inch, which has resulted in a lot of elevated pitches.  He's also missing early in the count which results in him working from behind in the count and narrows his pitch selection to basically fastball. 

For Bedrock, it all comes down to his ability to throw strikes early and often and keep the ball down.  He did it in the minors and that version of the kid is the answer to the Angels bullpen, not the rest of those gas cans they pass off as relievers.  But unfortunately for Cam, he can't be an effective reliever without working ahead.  

On the bright side, Morin is still awesome and under-utilized. 

That is the way things are done around here.

/sings What have you done for me lately

I have no earthly idea. 

Frieri did throw Swisher a bunch of sliders in an earlier game in this series.  See Swisher's comments after the game today (Article on Angels website).  He seemed surprised to get a high fastball after his experience in the other game.  I'd like to hear from Iannetta, why did he want a fastball in today's situation?  Seems like the slider was more appropriate.

The bullpen has sucked for the past 4+ years.  

Ranked somewhere near the worst in baseball on a team with playoff aspirations.  That's gonna warrant discussion with vitriol and suggestions included.  If it was our job to know how to fix it, we wouldn't be posting on a message board.  So a great deal of the time, most of us are going to be wrong.  However, our job does not depend on us being wrong or right about something that needs to be fixed or even something that doesn't.

Complaining about Mike Trout?  Dumb

Complaining about the bullpen?  Warranted.  

Ultimately, I have my opinions, but I don't give a shit how they fix it.  Just fix it.  

Edited by Dochalo

That's what I find so funny about this. Everyone clamor ed for Bedrock. No one criticized the move when he took the mound. However once he struggled the hindsight managers here says it was a stupid move. Bedrock was brought up with hopes he would be a closer. It backfired but iso I don't have a problem with the Bedrock decision. Now if you want to bitch at Scioscia it was replacing him with Frieri. You already F'd with his confidence by bringing Bedrock in. Why the hell to put him with bases loaded!

That's what I find so funny about this. Everyone clamor ed for Bedrock. No one criticized the move when he took the mound. However once he struggled the hindsight managers here says it was a stupid move. Bedrock was brought up with hopes he would be a closer. It backfired but iso I don't have a problem with the Bedrock decision. Now if you want to bitch at Scioscia it was replacing him with Frieri. You already F'd with his confidence by bringing Bedrock in. Why the hell to put him with bases loaded!

Uhhh, did you read the Gameday thread?

There was plenty of questioning of that move LONG before it backfired.

There are people who want Jepsen released every single day regardless of how he's doing based on his his being Jepsen.   He's one of those fulcrums of hate at AW.com like Howie Kendrick and Aybar anytime he has a baserunning error.   

Personally, I wanted Bedrosian up over guys like Yoslan Herrera, Maronde, Josh Wall, and anyone else who is unlikely to be a part of the Angels future.   Pretty much nothing has changed for me, but I don't typically let 0 for four games and bad innings jade me on a guy.  I'm just hoping they do a better job of easing him into situations like they did Morin.  Looking at his game logs, 5 of Morin's first 6 appearances came with the team either ahead or behind by at least 4 runs, and 9 of his first 10 appearances came with at least a 3 run differential.  Morin didn't pitch in a truly high leverage situation until his 11th game, when he entered a tie game in the 13th inning and promptly gave up 3 runs to lose the game.

Thats how it can go with young pitchers.

Bedrock has the goods ... but his nerves are clearly getting the best of him. When he dropped the ball for a balk a few games ago it was evident. Probably never happened to him before. The added pressure to succeed with a successful father watching him closely nearby

I'm not sure I would send him down just yet.

Bedrock has the goods ... but his nerves are clearly getting the best of him. When he dropped the ball for a balk a few games ago it was evident. Probably never happened to him before. The added pressure to succeed with a successful father watching him closely nearby

I'm not sure I would send him down just yet.

I think you are probably right there TD, he is probably a big part of our future.  He's up here, let him learn and adjust.